Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No its not an Import, why?? :-)
Old 07 March 2000, 12:29 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Bobn3,

Just guessing, but at least one of those is probably for crankcase ventilation, which is important. Your garage should be able to identify which is which, but there definately shouldn't be any left over!

Cheers,

Alex
Old 07 March 2000, 08:12 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

I would appreciate any help on this,

I have just fitted a K&N Green, Induction kit to my 1.6 Impreza, its the business and has made a big difference to the car. but there are three small pipes that fitted to the box filer box which I can not fit to the Induction kit, Any one any idea on what to do with them??? Any one have a Impreza Sport they fitted a induction kit to? I worried if these pipes get water in them..

Please any help

Cheers
Old 07 March 2000, 10:59 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Do you have the right filter kit for your car?

Did the filter come with instructions, and if so, did you use them?

You should not have loose pipes if the kit is right for the car and correctly installed. These pipes were plumbed into the original induction system for a good reason.

I would return the car to standard to prevent possible damage whilst you work out if it's the right kit for the car.
Old 07 March 2000, 11:32 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I talked to the dealer and he said that their breed pipes, and as long as their not block they should be fine, He going to have a look at they today,

Cheers
Old 07 March 2000, 03:11 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

bobn3, to the uninitiated, it sounds like the pipes are there to breed air through lubber tubes!
Old 07 March 2000, 03:30 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nial,

Theyre taking the **** about your bReed pipes

Sounds to me like they are various breathers to allow excess crankcase and other pressures to vent out.

Some time ago K & N used to make cool little filters to attach to the pipes (like the induction filters only smaller)for this very purpose. Alternatively you could make some sort of catch tank with an open breather as they will spit out oil over time to some degree.

Uded to have to do this on past cars when ditching the standard carbs and filters for uprated carbs (anyone remember them?) and filters.

In any event though, you should get what they are confirmed by a garage.

Cheers

D.
Old 08 March 2000, 09:53 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

HI all

Thanks for the advice, I brought the car to the dealer, and he said that yes their are breathers and I cover the pipes ends with some sort of gous to stop water are dirt going into them it should be fine.

They loved the sound the kit makes and it has made a love difference to the car.

Cheers
Old 08 March 2000, 10:36 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Niall,

I don't know anything about the specifics of the plumbing for the 1.6 NA Impreza engine, but it is more significant than just making sure that no oil gets out, or water gets in.

These breather pipes will be part of the crank case scavanging system. The purpose of this is to extract water vapour and combustion byproducts from the crank case so that they don't contaminate the oil (a very, very bad thing in the long term) or cause condensation inside the block (just a very bad thing ). This is done by using the vacuum in the inlet manifold to draw out these gasses, hence the rubber hoses connection to your original airbox. Without these connections, excess pressure will be vented, but vacuum scavanging is required to properly ventilate the crankcase. These hoses MUST be connected and not just blanked off. It sounds like your garage is fobbing you off and not doing the job properly. The consequences for your engine could be serious in the medium-long term.

I suggest you contact K&N technical support to discuss the situation.

Cheers,

Alex