Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being too fussy / expecting too much ? (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2003, 04:44 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in late August 2002 I purchased an unpainted Rallytech carbon blade spoiler. This I had painted in WR Blue at a local body shop at a cost of over £230. Believing it was better to get quality that would last, over a cheap fix that would look sh1te in 12 months.

When the spoiler came out it looked fantastic and was fine for about 4 months. After that time I noticed that the paint had bubbled / blistered all over the bottom.

I took the spoiler back to the bodyshop and they told me that it was the fibreglass in the spoiler releasing air over time and that
they always do this. After a long talk with the bodyshop manager they agreed to repaint the spoiler FOC.

I dropped the spoiler off on the 24th of February and was told the spoiler would take 2-3 days to rub down and re-paint. 2 Weeks later I was still waiting. I went to the bodyshop and spoke to the director who promised to sort things out and get the job done.

Today I went and picked up the spoiler. It looked fine in the workshop but once outside in the sun I began to see lots of little holes in the paint work almost like pin ******. There is also an area of paint that has been missed as if there was masking tape across it in the wrong place. Pics below.

Little marks visible in paint

Area of black paint across rear of carbon blade missed as if there was a line of masking tape there.

Now I know these are minor points but I personally am not 100 % happy. Am I being too fussy being as they repainted it FOC or should I take it back and tell them to paint it again ?

Cheers

Nathan..

[Edited by Nathan L - 3/14/2003 4:47:42 PM]
Old 14 March 2003, 04:54 PM
Dunc20
Scooby Regular

When ur paying 230quid to get a spoiler painted, i personally would want it to absolutely perfect.

Take it back and get them to do the job properly!!

Dunc.
Old 14 March 2003, 05:23 PM
GuyM
Scooby Regular

To right, take it back. Theyre probably laughing at you. If they are a decent outfit, they shouldnt have any hesitations.
Other than that, resort to violence
Old 14 March 2003, 05:27 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

And I'm not sure the air releasing over time is true either. I've got a RallyTec spoiler and it was painted from brand new and is still perfect, 9 months later. I also have a friend who has had one, painted by Cheam for about 18 months with no issues either.

Sounds like a paint shop issue to me TBH and I would keep on at them until it's properly fixed!

Good Luck!

Matt
Old 14 March 2003, 05:36 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nathan, if you're in Eastbourne you're only an hour from Cheam Motor's bodyshop in Dorking (no I don't have the exact address), who get good write-ups here. Shoot up there for an afternoon and get their view? Finding a third party who knows what they're talking about will give you strength.

Good luck.
Old 14 March 2003, 06:43 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Red face

Thanks for the replies.

So it's not just me then The trouble is i'm known to be fussy, so I thought I might be expecting too much.

I also had a friend from SN come round to have a look, his opinion was that the paint work is "Sh1te"

First thing Monday it's back to the bodyshop then [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Nathan..
Old 14 March 2003, 07:05 PM
Luke
BANNED

have you asked "Rallytech" if they have heard of any other problems with their products. I am no expert... But whatever.. After the initial problem ..........I would have thought that a manager would have checked it to make sure it was perfect...

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2003, 07:40 PM
brett555
Scooby Regular

Take some banana's in for them , that'll make them happy , bunch of monkeys !!! ...

But anyway , i would expect an A1 job on any paintwork i have done on my car . If it blisters , flakes , peels etc.. get back in there and have them do it again. If all else fails , ask for a refund .... im sure they'll do a proper job then.

brett
Old 14 March 2003, 08:20 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Lol @ Bananas

Luke

I tried to contact Rallytech for help and advice but to be honest Neither John or Trevor were interested at all. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Nathan..
Old 14 March 2003, 10:51 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Nathan, zero problems with mine mate, nor anyone elses I know. I'd take it back.

BTW if you get a minute, mail me offline with your opinions on what you had done the other week.

cheers

Ed
Old 15 March 2003, 07:02 AM
Luke
BANNED

Thumbs down

"I tried to contact Rallytech for help and advice but to be honest Neither John or Trevor were interested at all. "

Another typical british example of customer care.........

Old 15 March 2003, 07:47 AM
FERRARINUTTER
Scooby Regular

Nathan, it may not be the paint shops fault, certain types of foam used to make spoilers are notorious for bubbling up if left in direct sun.

I've just seen this happen with a new rep who bought in some spoilers, left in the sun all day and it was a perfect finish got exactly the same finish as you had.

At the start of the day....perfect.....I'll try and find out what type of plastics/foams are ideal.....
Old 15 March 2003, 11:00 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nathan

You are entitled to expect the job to be done properly and if it is not good enough then it should be put right.

Did they warn you that that problem might occur before they took the job on? I think it is disgraceful that you should be kept waiting so long when they said it would be done in a couple of days too.

Hope they do it properly for you.

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 3/15/2003 11:02:27 AM]