Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOS all MY01-02 owners.

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2003, 09:48 AM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you had your car diagnosed with piston slap? Or heard about any examples on this? My wrx 01 has had the cambelt tensioner changed but the noise is still there. The response from Subaru when the word "piston slap" is mentioned, seem to be denial. It is definitely not the clutch. The noise comes from the middle of the engine and only when cold. Next week an engineer from Subaru is going to listen to it. If he says "they all do that" or "live with it, it´s normal that a car engine makes this noise from 1875 miles"
I will kill him. So please help me or I will end up in jail.
Old 04 March 2003, 10:01 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

My MY01 is booked in on Friday to have a similar noise to yours diagnosed.
It sounds far too loud to be slap, more like the tensioner/belt IMO, but we'll wait n see.

Paul
Old 04 March 2003, 12:36 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

SDB

I think, and hope for you, that yours is the tensioner because when it comes to MY01-02 Subaru denies that piston slap can occur on these models. But what kind of noise is it my car has then? The tensioner is already changed. I think I got a demonstrator because the car had a stonechip on the bonnet (I only noticed after delivery) and it had 64 miles on the clock (is this mileage normal for new Subarus?). This might be the reason for the (early) slap on my car.

Claus
Old 04 March 2003, 12:36 PM
JJC
Scooby Regular

I've got a MY02 and it makes a knocking noise somtimes on start up, but it clears within a few seconds ? is this what you have ? or is this how it started ? it only happens when you start the car from cold but it's done it randomly from new I'm starting to get paranoid it's a import from Belgium so the warranty is up, well it has 2 years left for major mechanical but I reckon any claim or attempted claim would be brain damage !!!

JC
Old 04 March 2003, 12:48 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

TARMAC

I think I read a post of yours in General Technical?
The noise mine makes is a repeating, regular rattle, not unlike a train on tracks, that can be heard from inside the car. The rattle rate increases directly with the rpm of the engine.
I'll let you know what Friday brings.

Paul
Old 04 March 2003, 01:02 PM
JJC
Scooby Regular

Paul,

mine sounds a bit like an old diesel but like I say it's brief and clears quickly, let us know the outcome on friday.

Regards,

John
Old 04 March 2003, 01:29 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

JJC

I think that if it clears after a few seconds you shouldn´t be too worried. Keep an ear on it though. Warranty work on a Belgium import is no prob. I´ve read about others on here who had it done.

SDB

Moderators moved my thread to General Tech.
Is yours a knocking noise or more like a rattle? If it is still there when engine is warm I think it´s the tensioner. Good for you.

Think I will try to get in touch with dan4. He once placed a thread stating that his MY01 was diagnosed with the slap. What does FAO mean.
Old 04 March 2003, 02:38 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

JJC

Yeah, mine makes a similar clatter to a Diesel engine but the noise doesn't dissipate at the engine warms.

TAR

FAO = For Attention Of

Paul
Old 04 March 2003, 02:45 PM
Charlie Boy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hi Guys

My MY01 has made a taping noise since new, lasts for about 3mins until warm. Mine sounds like the tappets rather than the pistons, though I have no idea what slap sounds like anyway. The dealer just said "some of them do that" almost two years remaining on the warranty so i'll see how it goes.
Old 04 March 2003, 02:47 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

When running in my 02 WRX in I notice what I thought was a tappet sticking on start up if I drove off before they filled up with oil. When the 1000 miles had passed and after a couple of runs above the 4000 limit that seems to have stopped.

But, I do have a tapping/ticking noise, particularly noticeable when warm (in traffic jams). If I rest my foot on the throttle a little from tick-over then it seems to disappear at 1500 to 2000 revs or so.

I know the injectors tick a bit but I don't think its that, tappets can rattle but the motors' only done 7000 miles now (and the noise isn't loud enough for them) so I'm at a bit of a loss.

I was going to get the dealers opinion at the 10000 mile service (which shouldn't be long at this rate). Although I'm expecting the standard 'they all do this sir'.
Old 04 March 2003, 04:36 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

But still noone with a bugeye diagnosed with slap?

Claus
Old 03 April 2003, 03:22 PM
wrrjones
Scooby Regular

Ive got a 2002 wrx and mine when cold makes a knocking sound for a couple of minutes ...chris

[Edited by wrrjones - 3/4/2003 4:22:53 PM]