Sponsored by:

Road Rage - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2003, 09:02 AM
Nowucme
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Following a car on a B road this morning only going about 45. A 4x4 pick up type truck pulled out in front of the car I was following making us slow to about 40.
Road then stops twisting and on a small straight I overtake both vehicles and am back in well before the next bend.
Pretty much straight away the road then goes into a village - 30 zone. Couple of hundred yards after 30 zone begins there are those long speed bumps (whole car can sit on top of the bump).

Before I reach the second of these bumps the 4x4 is right up my **** beeping his horn and flashing his lights. I am going pretty slow anyway due to the bumps and actually come to a stop on top of the second bump - at which point he carries on into the back of me!!! I did not brake sharply.

I get out and beckon him out which he eventually does - effing and blinding! He'd really lost it........got him to pull in further up the road out of everyones way. We exchange details through him shouting at me.

Anyway, he says he's going to the police - I'm not too concerned as I can't see them being very interested. What do you think?

The damage is just to the paint work. Not keen to go through insurance as I'm going to get stung for the excess. How much for a rear bumper re-spray (MY00 DBM)? Do you think I should go through insurance anyway to affect this idiot?

Great morning.........
Old 27 February 2003, 09:11 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

hmm if i was you, as long as i had his address and stuff, i would fix the car myself, leave it a few weeks then go and smash the **** out of his 4x4

but then again, you will more then likley be diffrent lol
Old 27 February 2003, 09:13 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

First things first, don't trust him - report the whole incident to the police. If the cars did drop to 40mph in a 60 that is good cause to overtake and the scooby could easily knock up 20mph and pass two vehicles safely. The polices will know this and they will know that the 4x4 was probably just p1ssed off that he didn't have the power to make progress in that manner. Secondly get your insurance company invovled as its very unlikely that it will not affect your NCD. He hit you from behind which means that in 99% of cases he's at faule for not keeping a safe distance (even if you had no apparent reason for braking/stopping).

I exchanged details with a guy that scratched my bumper in a car park and everything he told me was bull****. I had to use the powers of the internet, good logic and local knowledge to track him down and get my money The moral of the story is don't give yourself the hassle, get the police involved
Old 27 February 2003, 09:40 AM
Nowucme
Scooby Regular

Wasn't going to bother with the police unless they come talk to me courtesy of this tw*t. Thought I'd go thro' my insurance co. and take their advice........
Old 27 February 2003, 09:47 AM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

The Police have better things to do than a minor incident like yours. What are they going to arrest the bloke for, flashing his lights and horn? End of the day no-one was hurt and a very minor RTA.
They don't even come to most minor accidents and let the insurance companies fight it out. As he went into the back of you then you should expect his insurance company to pay out(hes to blame). Its as simple as that.

Pops- Straight to the point.
Old 27 February 2003, 09:55 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I agree pops but what worries me is that the guy wasn't being calm and dealing with the situation at hand. The accident was argueably caused by his rage and he certainly was being reluctantly cooperative. I'd be concerned about him trying to stab you in the back as he's clearly an a$$hole!
Old 27 February 2003, 10:40 AM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

How many of us on the roads have had that similar sort of experience though. Its just a sad fact of life there are ars*h*les driving out there. He might of had a bad day at work, who knows. Rememeber there's two sides to every story. It seems that the guy just got too close to the Scooby infront- if he had of been that mad wouldn't he have assaulted the bloke???
Nope in my book its just one of those unfortunate incidents. Police really won't want to know. Waste of their time IMHO.
Old 27 February 2003, 10:53 AM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

The Police have better things to do than a minor incident like yours
yeah, like pull us over for speeding and putting new film in the "safety" camras!

report him to the police and tell your ins company too.
it won't cost you anything as he hit you.

but it will cost him.
Old 27 February 2003, 10:59 AM
McScooby
Scooby Regular

You have a legal requirement to report the accident to the Police. What are you going to do if he reports you...he's got his foot in the door. Look after yourself and screw him, we all get stuck behind ***** that want to travel at 40 until you go past, then try and make things awkward by getting irate. Report it to the Police, at least you can verify his details that way
Old 27 February 2003, 11:05 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You are totally in the right since he ran into your rear bumper. It is impossible to get out of that one even if you had stopped sharply because he should be at a safe enough distance to be able to stop behind you under any circumstances.

You would be wise to report it to the police as you have to by law within 24 hours, you have of course exchanged details so you are in the clear anyway. Write to his insurance company personally and insist on the repair costs. You dont have to do it through your own company. In any case, you cannot be blamed for this one and would not have to pay any excess or lose NCB.

Dont see why he should get away with that sort of behaviour. But the warning of course is that you might come up against another Kenneth Noye!!

Les
Old 27 February 2003, 11:18 AM
Nowucme
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys.

I'll call the police just to let them know. As he was going off on one and seemed determined to let them know about me - god knows what he thinks they're gonna do!

Just bad luck on my part that I came across one of the many tosspots you find on the road.
Old 27 February 2003, 11:21 AM
tony1979
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I agree with the comments above. If your rear bumper is damaged, obviously the insurance companies involved will know that the 4x4 went into the back of you. It's as simple as that - he's at fault. As for the police, if you tell them exactly what happened, they'll put it down to road rage on the other drivers behalf.

[Edited to say:] I wouldn't be surprised if he got a lecture on safe driving distances too

[Edited by tony1979 - 2/27/2003 11:24:06 AM]
Old 27 February 2003, 12:53 PM
jhd
Scooby Regular

Angry

There is no legal requirement to report an accident to the police unless it involves personal injury or someone refuses to exchange name, address & reg number. If so, it must be reported within 24 hours.
The police will probably not be interested unless you were threatened during the course of his rantings.
Having said that - I would still report it at a local police station over the counter and advise my insurance company.

There are far too many clowns that get away with this sort of behaviour - castrate the b@s@rds
Old 27 February 2003, 12:53 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was he actually shouting at you?

What was his point?
Old 27 February 2003, 01:10 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

You don't have a legal requirement to report the accident to the Police as there were no injuries involved.
Definitely go through your insurance - as long as you have legal cover, they will pursue the other party to recover your excess. You will not lose your NCD.
Old 27 February 2003, 01:13 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Not always that straight forward though.

A guy ran into the back of my sisters new Saxo VTR a few years back at a alevel crossing. He admitted liability, gave his details, then she talked it through with the insurance company.

The old guy then tells the police that my sister had actually reversed into HIM, and it took about 12 months and 2 court visits to finally sort out

Be careful out there
Old 27 February 2003, 01:22 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

There is no real point in informing the Police, but I would contact your insurance company. If he goes through his insurance his story is likely to be a little different - why did you stop on the top of the bump? Did you indicate that you were stopping? Did you brake sharply for no reason?
I am not suggesting for one moment that it is your fault, but someone could invent a different version of events resulting in a knock for knock settlement ie "this lunatic in a sports car flew past me into a 30mph zone and then stamped on his brakes with no warning". I presume there are no witnesses?

Steve

Old 27 February 2003, 02:41 PM
Nowucme
Scooby Regular

Good points.......

His shouting was about me overtaking him where he thought I shouldn't have done it and about going too fast in a 30 zone.

As for braking sharply - I was going v slowly up onto a speed bump, was pretty confused as to why this guy was suddenly right up my **** beeping his horn and so I stopped ontop of the speed bump. Wish I hadn't, but I did. The warning he got was my brake lights, but he was so close behind me he probably didn't see them through his own red mist.

I'll contact my insurance company, but not the police - no one was injured and I have no witnesses.

[Edited by Nowucme - 2/27/2003 2:43:37 PM]
Old 27 February 2003, 02:59 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

ill be your witness

case dismissed
Old 27 February 2003, 03:03 PM
Luke
BANNED

What is all this krap about the Police got better things to be doing?????????????????????????????????

Check you next council tax bill. We (And the police) pay enough to demand their attention if needed.
Old 27 February 2003, 03:25 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Lightbulb

The police will do absolutely nothing (as usual) and no doubt complain about waisting there time - But you REALY SHOULD report it to the police, get a crime number (or whatever) then its in the system, you've done everything right, your insurance co. will p!ss on his in court and you won't loose your NCB! Sorted!!!

Besides, if he cought you up, then he must have been speeding in the 30 zone, so the police will be VERY interested in that
Old 27 February 2003, 03:29 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day if he went in to the back of you, regardless of why you stopped, then it is his fault.
Case closed.
Ali
Old 27 February 2003, 03:35 PM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

There is somewhere you can go to get a sensible answer to this sort of question very quickly............
Old 27 February 2003, 04:03 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If it was me, I'd report it to the police and mention his violent and threatening behaviour in case he throws something nastier back at you.
Old 27 February 2003, 04:52 PM
McScooby
Scooby Regular

Why slag the Police off? Sorry to say this but surely they're there to help (yes..I am a copper and yes I have also got points and fine for speeding in my Scooby). Don't tar us all with the same brush..please!!!
Old 27 February 2003, 05:48 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Exactly, since when were the Police the bad guys in this instance?
The guy drove into the back of you. Report it to the insurance and let them sort it out for you. End of story.
Old 27 February 2003, 06:29 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Nowucme,

reported it to the police yet ???

Old 27 February 2003, 06:31 PM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

McScooby..............you been to 5ive-o.com yet?
Old 27 February 2003, 09:01 PM
McScooby
Scooby Regular

Have now mate...nice one
Old 27 February 2003, 10:49 PM
ryk
Scooby Regular

Angry

POLICE WONT BE INTRESTED U R BREAKIN THE LAW OWNING A SCOOB THEY WILL BLAME U CAUSE U AVE A SCOOB U R SCUM OF THE UNIVERSE CAUSE U AVE A SCOOB GO TO HIS HOUSE CHIN HIM THEN GET THE POLICE TO RACE U R THEY GONNA CATCH U? I THINK NOT U OWN A SCOOB

Quick Reply: Road Rage - advice please