Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scooby owner 1 theives 0

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2003, 12:48 PM
irishscoobyboy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Came down this morning, all the drawers and presses open. Glass missing from my front window. Came looking for my 02 wrx but I had the keys under my pillow! Not happy about thieving ***** in the house and they may come back but at least they didn't get me scooby!
Old 25 February 2003, 12:51 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Time to invest in some anti-personnel mines for yer front garden !

Old 25 February 2003, 12:55 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Angry

bad luck irishscoobyboy... same thing happened to me a few months back, im assuming ur in ireland, do u mind me askin what general area this happened in?

cheers
Old 25 February 2003, 12:57 PM
Colin P
Scooby Regular

Lucky they didn't nick your pillow!

Col
Old 25 February 2003, 12:57 PM
irishscoobyboy
Scooby Newbie

Dublin's fair city, they got my wallet and new nokia. Wife wants me to get rid of the car now! Any suggestions besides getting rid of the wife?
Old 25 February 2003, 01:09 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

how about some of those automatic sentry guns from aliens ?

set one up behind your front door and another behind the back door and sleep soundly

mind you if you have a cat it might not be such a good idea
Old 25 February 2003, 01:12 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

Get rid of the car....
Old 25 February 2003, 01:16 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this

Get an anti-hijack device for the car, and if they come back just give them the keys. Clifford Blackjax would be my recommendation. Drop me a mail if you want to know what it does.

Ultimately, if your wife still isn't happy, you need to think what's more important... But on the other hand, any nice cars, from Beemers to Audis to scoobs are targeted which might or might not help your argument.

**** feeling isn't it? I came downstairs a couple of years back to find all our windows had been "tried" with a **** off chisel / screwdriver and one was half open. Over 1300 quid of damage to the windows
Old 25 February 2003, 01:19 PM
aqua
Scooby Regular

Install house alarm and PIR lighting around car/garage/front of house.
Old 25 February 2003, 02:30 PM
jongould-work
Scooby Regular

biggest deterent would be PIR lighting.

if its a dedicated thieve then not much short of a shotgun is gonna stop 'em.

other tricks are putting a note by the window sill with the words like 'i keep my keys somewhere safe' or the like
Old 25 February 2003, 03:53 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

other tricks are putting a note by the window sill with the words like 'i keep my keys somewhere safe' or the like
..then they'll just hold a knife to the throat of a family member
Old 25 February 2003, 04:05 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Dublin's fair city, they got my wallet and new nokia. Wife wants me to get rid of the car now! Any suggestions besides getting rid of the wife?
Move?
Old 25 February 2003, 04:13 PM
Muncher
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Keep the car and get a german shepherd.
Old 25 February 2003, 04:43 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm with you Muncher, has worked for me for years now
I know that they can roll ya dog if they need to, question is, do they WANT to? Can they be doing with the noise, threat of getting bitten etc.
That said, i bet you don't like dogs or summat
Seriously, i reckon everyone has had "a moment" be it at home while asleep or even being followed etc. Unfortunatley i think that it affects ALL nice cars and owners.
The feeling of vulnerability goes as time goes by, paranoia drops off and you kind of get used to it. Gotta admit though, never had a loved one asking that i get rid of it. Don't know what i'd do there (And before Mr Askew starts, yes i've got a loved one )

Just my 10 peneth

Mikey
Old 25 February 2003, 04:44 PM
ice man
Scooby Regular

I've found having two feckin great rotties does the trick

Edited cos I can't spell

[Edited by ice man - 2/25/2003 4:45:20 PM]
Old 25 February 2003, 04:55 PM
scoobynewboy
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that m8. However as your heading would suggest they lost this particular battle. Do you park on the street or in the drive??
If in the drive i assume you are aware that there are security measures that can be taken to block the car in as it were...sorry i forget the name of those poles!!
Again i also live and work in Dublin originally from Donegal. I have a V6 Type R in white. I had the car up here 3 times Navan Rd direction, and on the third occasion at around 05:00AM i saw a car lights pull up from my window (couldnt sleep) and a got get out. I raced out of bed and straight out the door. All i heard was the running down the road and the car going the opposite direction when i made it to the street. Didnt catch the scummy little rat........good for him.
It was a Thurs night/Frid morn so i took the car to work and home to Donegal that Frid night.
Good luck with whatever decision you make......preferably invest in more security.
Old 26 February 2003, 01:41 AM
andycrowther
Scooby Regular

similar happened to me a week ago...they broke the door handle from outside and then the lock to open the door...dog heard em and started to bark..went in to the kitchen still asleep and when i finally opened the door she chased em down the street.
now had to spend a bomb on iron gates with extra locks, security lights all over, cctv system (it's brilliant and easy!) and a tracker and sash jammers on the inside of the doors..no good if your out but sorted when you are in.
Old 26 February 2003, 05:42 AM
stubee doo
Scooby Regular

same happened to my mate with a ctr last week they broke in at 10pm and were after his kweys but his dad chased them out of the house,so he went to his girlfriends house to stay the night and they also did her house at 4am she lives miles away,wonder if they followed him there ****wits

dont leave your keys under your pillow anymore they could be on here[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 26 February 2003, 07:06 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

place keys in a touch sensitive glass container

that way they can see them but have to set off alarms to get em!!!

seriously tho, its sad that times have come to this not just having to worry about the car being stolen but worrying about ur house being broken in2 so they can nick the cars.

theres only 2 real 'safe' options around the problem.

1 is as Chiark said, the Blackjax option, at least they have got away from u without harm and end up unable to go anywhere in the car. its doubtful they will return to ask u the code.

2 is to sell the car as ur wife wants, is a car worth loosing ur loved ones??? it doesnt even compare does it?

or get some stickers that say 'KEYS R KEPT AT LOCAL POLICE STATION'
Old 27 February 2003, 01:16 AM
andycrowther
Scooby Regular

one good tip...use a baby monitor in the garage or leave it in the car..it's amazing what you can pick up and you can inform the police before they've even tried nicking it....
by the way...re:- my earlier comment...dog still in good books, she got 1/2 pound of fresh meat pieces today!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27 February 2003, 09:21 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

hmm
im a bit concerd about this actualy
sounds well dodgy, ive had people try and car jack me twice but they never actualy got anything (im a big lad lol) i had 5 lads try and take my second last nova off me one night and ended up getting a brick thrown of my head lol
they sil didnt get me keys, it was lucky i had a big massive hammer int he back and i swung like crazy till they ran away

sumthing simmiler happend at sum traffic lights a few years b4, and they were with much lesser type appeal

the thing is, if they want summit, they will try no matter what, you could sell the car, get a bmw or sumthing and then fall prey to a gang of theives thats been sent out for a bmw to order
etc etc
Old 27 February 2003, 10:13 AM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

DOG, Big DOG

PP
Old 28 February 2003, 12:30 PM
dave_gt
Scooby Regular

I think I could do with a bit of advice which relates to this. I am considering a scoob in the near future. However I do lots of miles as part of my job and I can often be found alone at 1am standing in the street measuring noise somewhere in any town or city in the country.

I am happy to fit a tracker etc (my insurance company would insist anyway) and I will be getting a classic uk turbo, so I won't be driving a P1 or anything.

Am I going to be at significant personal risk at night if I get a scoob? I'm a big lad and I've got martial arts training, but that aint no good against a gang with weapons.

Any suggestions or comments are more than welcome.
Old 28 February 2003, 12:59 PM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

i keep my Scooby keys on my bed side to, you cant be to carefull these days, scum bags..

Sy
Old 28 February 2003, 02:21 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

scince i read this thread
i now keep my keys in my bedroom as well
lmao
Old 28 February 2003, 04:57 PM
jasetheace
Scooby Regular

you guys with cctv, what system are you using...and where do i get my hands on it.....
Old 28 February 2003, 06:13 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

DO what my m8 did and invest in a DOG! I know for a fact that the German Shephard variety is very effective. All it requires is 50p per day for a can of pedigree chum and some water. Should work a treat against all car thieves and prospective burgulars.

Gez
Old 28 February 2003, 06:23 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Step 1: Announce that you're a palestinian suicide bomber, not pussies like the IRA up north.

Step 2: Write down on a note by the car and explain to them that the car is rigged to explode as long as someone is driving it and if they don't want to meet Allah, they should not go near it.

Step 3: Keep looking up in the skies for unmanned American remote control assault planes looking for you.

But don't worry about step 3 too much. If Saddam can hide thousands of ICBMs, the chances of them spotting you is slim. If things gets real bad, you can always claim asylum here according to Popeye P1 and STI Shrek.

Old 28 February 2003, 09:34 PM
Tino
Scooby Regular

Sugestion for any auto electricians out there-
Would it be possible to rig up a 'secret' switch under the dashboard somewhere that would imobilise the ignition but not interfere with exsisting alarm etc.This way if the worst happened i.e wake up to masked man with baseball bat, you give him the keys, he disarms the alarm trys to start car and it won't.He may think the cars fcuked and bugger off also it will give you time to call police incase he decides to come back into the house!
Old 28 February 2003, 09:43 PM
JapSport
Scooby Regular

In a word - yes

Quick Reply: Scooby owner 1 theives 0