ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Banzai laps and kamikazi pilots

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2000, 04:38 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

With the big day getting closer and closer, I have noticed a bit of a problem developing. It seems as though many participants of the forthcoming track day at Donnington seem to think that this will be a repeat of the film, 'Days of Thunder' where everyone will be going for gold and extracting every last bit of not only their car, but the track also.

Am I alone in thinking that this is going to lead to a lot of broken hearts (and fenders)? I know that a lot of people talk tongue in cheek here, what with the RS boys and the Skylines and Evo's that are coming to the track, but it seems as though we may be taking the competitive spirit that little bit too far.

I dont wish to be on a track where a majority of the drivers are going to be doing kamikazi laps desperate to prove a point that their car is faster than the others. I hope I dont sound like a spoilsport here, I will be driving as fast as I can within the limits of myself and my car and I shall avoid any instances where I will be pushing these limits. Regardless of the fact of insurance, I really dont want to be driving an Admiral courtesy car for 3 weeks while they investigate the damage and circumstances. But I think we should all get a little grip on reality and remember that we arent Micheal Schumaker or Irvine etc. but just a bunch of drivers who, chances are, have never had any advanced driver training before (that also includes me).

I just want to hammer home a point, and that is we arent out there to race each other. This would lead to disasterous consequences and should be avoided at all costs. If I see a car getting a little close to my rear bumper, then I will pull over and allow them to pass, trying to race them will only tempt fate.
We gotta realise that we arent the only people on the track. You dont wanna spin and hit that 22B that forgot to take out insurance, do you?
Or am I being a little over sensitive on what may essentially be harmless chit-chat?

Be safe all and have fun.
Cem

Old 03 March 2000, 04:49 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
in my experience, the guys at donnington are brilliant at running safe track days.

They monitor the whole circuit on CCTV and if they see anyone playing silly buggers they will chuck them of the circuit.

They most definately will not tolerate overtaking in the braking areas or mid corner.

Lets all be quick but mature and safe out there. If you are going to go for a personal best time then you will need a clear lap anyway. And dont forget, no pit wall timing should be seen to be going on or it invalidates your insurance.
Old 03 March 2000, 04:57 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Question

I thought the car in front was in control and you should only over take if they indicate and pull off the racing line. The rush past, ducking in front and late braking bridgade will be punished sorely by the people in charge of the meeting in my experience.

Have a great day one and all, I'll be along later in the year

Yex
Old 03 March 2000, 05:06 PM
HUNTY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one Cem,

I was getting the same feeling. Mine's a company car and the company would like it back on Monday

I'll be the one with the indicator on

Silver MY97 P944 JEC

Old 03 March 2000, 05:10 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Cem,
I'm with you on that one - as although I will be driving as fast as my ability will allow, if I am being harrassed by people considerably faster than me through the corners - then I will do the courteous thing and pull over.

However, as there won't be any Westfields or Caterhams on the track, I doubt I will be in this situation....

Seriously - take care all, as I don't want to be whincing at the site of anyone's car being mangled (especially mine).
Mike
Old 03 March 2000, 06:49 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cem,

I think your post makes a lot of sense. This has to be a fun day for *every* participant.

Furthermore, I hate you all you lucky guys

Theo [sulking - whish I could be there as a spectator, but it is a bit of a drive...]
Old 03 March 2000, 06:58 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Don't worry Cem.
All the RS vs Scoob banter will definitely not be carried over to the track.
I'm just as keen as anyone else to see Mike's car perform on the circuit, and I'd like to think that most of us, Mike and myself included, are sensible enough to avoid the 'red mist'.
I will drive in my usual manner though, which hopefully won't upset anyone (apart from the EVO's and Cossies that is!! ).

Stef.