Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with Direct Line Ins. fitted a 'proper' spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2003, 03:22 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

...rang up Direct Line insurance to ask about fitting a proper wing on my MY02 WRX - the woman wasn't really sure but went away, came back with a quote of an EXTRA £400 on the yearly premium!!!!!

has anyone else had this problem - I keep getting the impression with these insurance companies that it actually seems to depend on which person picks up the phone at the other end ....... the same girl quoted me ZERO pounds for a morette headlight conversion yet when I asked 6 months ago it was an extra £150?

do they actually have a fixed policy on these things do you think or do they make it up as they go along?

DaveR
Old 14 February 2003, 03:40 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I gotta agree with you Dave, It does matter who picks up the phone and thier experience. When i look for renewal quotes, whoever picks the phone up will get 2 chances to understand that my car is NOT an Import or bloody WRX. You can tell the people in the know because they use words like "import" "UK Spec" "Spoiler" not "Fin on the Boot" De-catted instead of sports exhaust etc and they generally can pronounce Impreza.
It does make me worried that insurance company customer advisors just sit infront of the screen and as soon as Impreza is input, the screen goes red, flags come out of the side and a big message flashes on the screen saying something like "The more you fleece this punter, the bigger your pay check!! Remember it's an Impreza, they can afford it, go on, make it up!" [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Rant off
Mikey
Old 14 February 2003, 03:54 PM
Michael Robinson
Scooby Regular

I'm with direct line insurance and i told the girl at the end of the phone about all my mods (which there are lots) and she just did not really give a monkeys.
Old 14 February 2003, 04:00 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

yup, she may not have given a monkeys because she didn't know what in the h£ll she was talking about. sorry to pee on your bonfire but its probably worth ringing them up and double -checking in case you find yourself uninsured ......

this is exactly what worries me - I may ring up tomorrow and get a £0 quote for the spoiler having got £400 a couple days ago
Old 14 February 2003, 04:02 PM
Michael Robinson
Scooby Regular

I agree it is very worring the different figures you get, but to be honest £400 extra for a spoiler is a joke, the spoiler is not even worth that if someone ripped it off, what planet are direct line on ?

[Edited by Michael Robinson - 2/14/2003 4:03:13 PM]
Old 14 February 2003, 04:04 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

agreed - I'm glad we are on the same <rant> wavelength
Old 14 February 2003, 04:10 PM
Michael Robinson
Scooby Regular

i think we should play a scoobynet game with them, all of us phone us from here with the exact same car spec (few mods) and see what different quotes we get back i bet there is more than a fiver in it !

[Edited by Michael Robinson - 2/14/2003 4:10:24 PM]
Old 14 February 2003, 04:10 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

They wanted to charge me £500 for a SS Backbox, and another £500 for 17" Wheels!

I wont use them ever again!
Old 14 February 2003, 04:34 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Direct line are a little less MOD friendly to say the least, i woz with em last year , now with liverpool victoria as they lurve mods
I guess same is true 2 a degree about wot yer quoted on who u get i mean i called egg last year for a quote & they supplied best quote by a healthy sum (over Liv vic) & isaid can i check mods again make sure u have all correct, yaddy yaddy............. all present & correct call back few days later to check again (still few days till policy needed reuning ) & again went thru all mods twice just 2 make sure Yay i fort till i return day b4 policy expires at midnight like ring upo egg at like 17:30 or sumin after a long drive back from driven set i recall it was only 2b told oh i think sum1s made a mistake [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] told em it werent just 1 then! She checked all details but said no note had been made of mods on previous quotes! WTF said bollox, NB next time get name of person u deal with so they get in2 trubble , so had 2 then call LV at last minute since egg were no longer even close 2 best policy & they were still pucker
Si (essay over )
Old 14 February 2003, 04:44 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Try phoning Herts.. When i even mentioned the word impreza, He laughed

I asked if he'd insure my 2.0 Sport, he said he couldn't even insure a 1.6gl., but could insure me on a 200sx Turbo and a Legacy Turbo
Old 14 February 2003, 04:57 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

i asked the same - how much increase for a sti v5 spoiler - and got the same reply 350 quid extra

then again DL are the cheapest anyway, so i'll be sticking to em

P.S. engine mods arent as bad..
Old 14 February 2003, 05:50 PM
yoza
BANNED

Unhappy

Are you supposed to tell them
Old 14 February 2003, 05:50 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

STi back box on my MY01 WRX added £95 per year.

quote for my new STi8 was 93p per month more than the slightly modded WRX.

cant argue with that!
Old 14 February 2003, 06:17 PM
bogie
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave,

I have had similar problems with my MY01 when putting a decat centre and WR sport BB. They charged me an additional £20 from now until April and added £100 to my excess (which they never told me about at the time)
It does depend on who you speak to.

I'm definately moving elsewhere in April.

Another Scooby ownwer I know phoned about putting a STi5 spoiler on a Scoob and he was getting asked "what performance gain it would give" and they wanted to put his excess up by about £300.

Scary thought is, if you get a thicko and they don't pick up what you are saying properly, say it is OK (no extra) and you then have a prang.

Bogie
Old 14 February 2003, 06:23 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

...glad to see it isn't just me who gets these problems.

I wonder what the legal position is - I mean I have had one girl categorically state that a morette light conversion is no extra as it 'replaces' the standard lights rather than 'upgrades' them, and another girl who quoted me a stupid extra figure due to the 'increased desirability of the car, sir'

WTF? Would I have been covered if I had said 'right, OK' to the first girl? probably not in the event of a dispute
Old 14 February 2003, 07:21 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Angry

>ring upo egg at like 17:30 or sumin after a long drive back from driven set i recall it was only 2b told oh i think sum1s made a mistake
For Christ's sake will you speak the Queens English ! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Blutes
Old 14 February 2003, 11:23 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

nah i iz a lazy barsteward init pmsl
Si ( i r341y d0 apr3ci4t3 h0w sum ppl c4nt und3rst4nd such language but im happy 2 tr4sl4t3 if u c4rnt h4k d4 p4c3 )
Old 14 February 2003, 11:24 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

oh just noticed i did make a slight typo lmfao
Si
Old 15 February 2003, 01:20 AM
wible
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi peeps,as long as you take a persons name when they quote you, i cant see them being able to invalidate your policy if that person has stated that there would be no or little increase in premium due to any mods! If it ever had to go to court,they would be laughed straight out!!!!!