Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

200sx to Scooby, should I stay or should I go???

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2003, 11:49 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks,
First of all this isn't a 'What's best' thread, so we'll have none of that, that sort of thing is right out!

Currently own a lovely 200sx which is fast and discreet and great fun to drive and totally fekin useless for lugging a fridge home from Currys.

I'm seriously considering changing to a Classic Scooby Wagon but would appreciate some ideas from people of why I should or shouldn't do it.

The plus points of changing as far as I can see are:
More practical
Better performance
It's a new car and that's always a good thing
Sell mine on before it depreciates too much
4wd more suited to crappy british climate
Comfy seats (other half finds long journeys in the 200 uncomfortable)
More piece of mind if I get one with a warranty

The negative points:
Higher insurance
More nickable/owner paranoia
Performance isn't THAT much better
Every boy racer wants one
it's still a jap car with a less than great interior

Really in two mind about this one and would appreciate some opinions either way, especially from people who've owned/driven both cars.

Cheers

Dave
Old 14 February 2003, 12:03 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i had a 200sx- wife wrote it off...but until then it was nice- better image than classic scoob, and just as fun to drive (imo).

i'd have another but wouldnt have another scoob (assuming we are talking like for like on age of car and price)

T
Old 14 February 2003, 01:50 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,
Pretty much like for like, more or less decided to go for an MY2000 Wagon i.e. last of the old shape, At least then I can get it PPP'd after a year or so if I want to tweak the performance without damaging the warranty cover.
It's either that or keep the 2hundy, wait 2.5 years untill I've cleared all my debts and get out another big loan and get an Audi S4.
Really like the idea of a performance estate and a scoob seems the sensible option.
You obviously have a bit of a downer on the scoob experience as opposed to Datsun's finest, any particular reasons??

Dave

[Edited to ask if you want to buy mine!!]

[Edited by DJFish - 2/14/2003 2:48:51 AM]
Old 14 February 2003, 11:17 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sweeping generalisation:-

I've seen 4 crashed or spinning 200SX's in slippy weather in roundabout city but never did either in my Imprezas in similar speeds (presumably) and conditions. Never underestimate four wheel drive in real-world driving conditions whatever RWD die-hards will say - not opening up the debate, but a real advantage in my book.

The wagon is a better bet in the sensible things - space, rear wiper, gets less MaxMuppet attention, 2 rear spoilers(!) but many people appear the saloon (not me).
Old 14 February 2003, 11:42 AM
stu200
Scooby Regular

Smile

I had an nice black S14a Touring ... until I remodelled it on the motorway barriers In essence, I thought I knew what it would do at the limits of grip and I was wrong.

I loved the nice lazy power delivery, its ability to blend into the background and the fact that I didn't spend all day worrying about overboost, knock, geometry settings, and everything else that half an hour on Scoobynet causes

In some ways it was impractical, as it had no rear seats (unless you count the leather parcel shelf in the back), but it did have a good sized boot. The flipside though, was that at least the rear "seats" folded down to accomodate long stuff, unlike my MY01.

After causing 18 and a half grands worth of damage, I needed a safe, practical four door family saloon, so the Impreza was the natural choice but to be absolutely honest, if I could have got another 200 brand new (as the insurance was paying) I would have. As it happened, the 200 had gone out of production a couple of months before, which meant the insurers couldn't order a new one for me.

Do I regret getting the Impreza ... no. It means I don't have to worry about fitting three of us in with two weeks worth of luggage for the holidays, and basically, it's a damn fine car.

Do I regret joining Scoobynet ... yes What I'm sure is a perfectly good car in most people's eyes has a constant diet of upgrades, tweaks and worries that would never have happened if I'd never set foot in here
Old 14 February 2003, 12:04 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I have owned both cars, MY96 200SX and a MY99 Scooby. I would buy another 200SX, but would not buy another scoob. Why? The 200SX is more fun to drive - tail out when you want, beautifully balanced and progressive, better built with nicer interior (no rattles and squeaks) and superior driving position, a far better more relaxed cruiser, a very anonymous image.

Gary.
Old 14 February 2003, 03:14 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

speaking as someone who has made a similar decision recently (getting rid of the 3-door, thought about a wagon or a 200) I've decided on the 200 as I want a steathier car. And RWD beats 4wd for fun factor every day of the week IMO.
astraboy.
Old 14 February 2003, 05:13 PM
jhd
Scooby Regular

Smile

recently parted with my S14 200sx after 3 years of fun trouble-free motoring. now got a MY00 UK turbo 2000. really didnt want to part with the sx but not enuff space to carry the dog
scooby performance is better but not that much. rwd of sx can be a lot more fun but can also be the cars biggest fault if you have to drive it in all weather conditions.
insurance for the scooby was actually cheaper than the sx - probably cos its a UK car - they are both group 17 - import scooby is 20.
cost of maintenance is no comparison - sx wins hands down with a major service at £147 - aint gonna get the scooby done for that.

having said all that - the winner is THE SCOOBY - sticks like sh@te to a blanket and from a to b across country it will leave the sx for dead and i really dont mind the attention

jhd
Old 14 February 2003, 05:27 PM
bassoctopus
Scooby Regular

I also went from a 96 S14 200Sx to a MY00 Scoob (with a week long stint with an S2000 in between).

The Scoob wins hands down for driver involvement, but the 200 was better built and I felt was faster overall. You get increasing boost all the way up to the redline in the 200, whereas the scoob gives you a much more instant hit, but runs out of puff quite quickly.

The Scoob is much flatter on the road and corners much better, and feels much more stable.

The biggest thing you are going to notice is fuel consumption I was getting between 260 and 320 miles out of the 200SX. Now I get between 200 and 220 for about the same money. Servicing also seems to be at least twice the price with the scoob - I'll be getting shot of mine before the next big service, to get back into an S2000.

edited to say I find the seats less comfortable in the Scooby.

[Edited by bassoctopus - 2/14/2003 5:29:32 PM]
Old 14 February 2003, 10:13 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that,
Now I'm even more confused than ever!
I suppose I could just get a removable towbar and trailer for those 'needtofitsomethingbiggerthanapostagestampin' days.
Another worry is that I don't mind leaving my car in public overnight (I do nightshifts) but I'd be in two minds to do the same with a Scoob. It's silly really as most days I park next to a lovely new silver M3 and you'd think that'd go first.

More pondering required I think.

Keep em coming in the meantime.
Dave
Old 14 February 2003, 10:28 PM
Jimmy wrx
Scooby Regular

Try http://www.scoobycity.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3579
Old 15 February 2003, 12:04 AM
dave_the_B
Scooby Regular

DJfish, how are you mate?

Buy a Scooby, you will not regret it, I haven't

Dave_the_B

Ex S13
SXOC #26

Old 15 February 2003, 12:08 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

~If I were after a performance estate I;d plump for a Mitsi Galant VR4 (if I had the money, an Audi RS6 would be a nice beast!)
Old 15 February 2003, 12:25 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Only 2 problems with a VR4, wooden dash and the entire exterior!
Just doesn't do it for me!

Admittedly a S4 avant/A6 4.2Avant/S6 Avant would be very nice, and so would being able to afford them, which I can't!

Old 15 February 2003, 12:29 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

To me there's 2 problems with the scooby, crappy dash and exterior! horses for courses really. I like the aggressive and purposeful look of the VR4. I went in a VR4 once & I don't think you have to have the wood dash AFAIK.

Or a legacy turbo? (not keen on them myself but a bit more understated than the impreza)
Old 15 February 2003, 11:05 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

having just seen a 600hp 200 being built by my engine builder ill take the 200 any day of the week !!!!

Old 17 February 2003, 10:50 AM
Roger The Cat the 2nd
Scooby Regular

sell the 200sx and buy mine, you know it makes sense
Old 21 February 2003, 11:57 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Rog the cat Mk2,
Would love to buy yours, still waiting for news on finances.
Went to look at a VR4 the other day and they're HUUUUGE! bit too large for my driveway I think.
Would be interested in any more opinions either way in the meantime.

Dave

[Edited by DJFish - 2/21/2003 11:59:15 AM]
Old 21 February 2003, 12:18 PM
John R
Scooby Regular

Crikey, Mr Fish - defecting to the dark side eh?

A sad, sad day. This whole situation is much easier for me since I make sure my wifey has a practical car and therefore can enjoy the undoubted advantages (winky smiley thing that I can't remember how to do here) of the 200SX without resorting to the tedium of 4wd.

Can you not persuade the girlfriend to but something big and boring?

Bear in mind that used values of 200SX's are absolutely on the floor and you're likely get offered about a pound as a trade in.

[Edited by John R - 2/21/2003 12:20:33 PM]
Old 21 February 2003, 01:05 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Other half's got a nice shiney blue Almera Gti which she's VERY attached to, this has a rear strut brace as standard which makes it about as practical as a chocolate fireguard.
Anyway, I don't want to have to nick her car whenever I need to do manly things like go to the dump or move a fridge.

I did manage to fit two canoes on the roof of the 200 the other day (tres manly!) but it's just not designed to do that sort of thing every day. I've got friends with legs that I occasionally have to have as rear seat passengers and also I'm nearly 30 so really should be looking at getting a sensible, mature persons car anyway (Flame suit warming up already!)

Depreciation isn't going to get better with time either.

Still in the thinking about it and can I afford it stage at the moment.

Cheers & nice to hear from you.
Dave

Old 21 February 2003, 01:51 PM
John R
Scooby Regular

And you matey.

I'm 35 BTW and pretty certain that I'll just try and replace the 200 with the newest one I can buy.

Good luck anyway.
Old 25 February 2003, 12:20 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Who said wagons were less nickable?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2791739.stm