Lowering????

Search this Thread

Old 29 February 2000, 01:03 PM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I was wondering about peoples feelings on lowering the Impreza,

Does it improve handling or just damage the car?

Cheers
Old 29 February 2000, 03:40 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

I lowered my Legacy GT... with H&R springs... lowered it about 1.5" in the rear and 1" in the front... There is no rubbing of the tyres or anything of that sort... The ride is stiffened up quite a bit although I do need to invest in some better struts. Cornering capabilities are much, much better.

I have managed some damage to the car though. I *rallycross* the vehicle and in the dirt it's a bit too low... I managed to scrape of bits of the front end... that is the only damage and it would not have occured if i wasn't off road...

I have many friends who've lowered their Impreza's and have no complaints...
Old 29 February 2000, 04:32 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Sell your Impreza and get a Nova....you'll then feel right at home

Gethin.
Old 29 February 2000, 05:49 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

My STI was lowered when it came in from Japan, it has Eibach springs on it I think.
The ride is quite uncomfortable but bearable and on full lock it sounds like the tyre is rubbing at the front. I am considering putting the original springs back on at the next service, luckily they were in the car when it arrived. I was advised by someone else that I should revert back to the original STI suspension, they said it would be much better.
Old 29 February 2000, 08:30 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Bobn3,

If you are interested in improving the handling rather than the appearence, your best bet may be to try to pick up a 2nd hand set of turbo struts and springs. You would also probably have to upgrade your anti-roll bars for maximum effect.

Hmm... actually, thinking about it you have a 1.6fwd right?. I'm not sure how a fwd car would behave on springs/dampers designed for the 4wd car. If you could get all the bits on it would probably understeer strongly at the limit... maybe someone else knows.

In my experience, fitting lowering springs on their own just makes the ride crashy and slows you down because bumps upset the composure of the car, and you're too uncomfortable for it to be fun . Just my opinion...

Cheers,

Alex
Old 01 March 2000, 08:22 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice,

The reason I went to lower the car is for handleing, As Alex said, I do have a FWD and it abit soft.

Alex - I'll have a look in the turbo parts, and talk to some one how knows alot more then me! These things seem to by a bit on the dear side in Ireland, even 2nd hand.

If all fales I'll sell the car in 3 years and buy a Sport, (It'ing by awhile before I could insure a turbo in Ireland, last quote has 6K).

Cheers