Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying an STI need some advise please!

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2003, 09:45 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi I'm new to the Forum and I need some advice from Subaru ownwers.
Currently I have a Golf R32 on order, been on order since early August.
Up to now it has slipped 20 weeks from the promised build date. I am seriously thinking of cancelling the order, getting my deposit back. Then ordering a new shape STI. I can just afford one (I mean just) now that the new one is cheaper than the bug eyed version.
I had a test drive in one at the weekend and was super impressed.
What do you STI owners think of your cars, have they been a good buy? And (silly question really) would you pick one over an R32?
I really would appreciate your comments and experiences.
Thanks STEVE.................
Old 30 January 2003, 10:13 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

As this is a scooby forum, I don't think you will get an unbiased answer, in the same way you wouldn't on the VW forums, I own a BMW 330ci and would have an STI over an R32 anyday.
Old 30 January 2003, 10:22 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hi Steve,

I own an STi7, ie the one just before this latest version (Sti8). I owned a Scooby wagon before and I can honestly say that the STi is a great car. Would I buy one over an R32? Yes, every time.

Some things to be aware of; the 6 speed gearbox does take a little getting used to. Suspension is seen by some as very stiff (wimps), I don't have a problem with it. The wife is happy because its the only car she can sit in without feeling sick!

On country roads you do have to use the gear ratios quite a bit as the torque band is not quite where you would expect; again not a problem, you get used to it. Alternatively you can install a manufacturer approved after-market upgrade from Prodrive (for the STi7 at least) which gets around these niggles.

Sensible petrol consumption: the concept does not exist for this car!

My strong advice to you is to take one out and drive it over some distance, in mixed road conditions, to get a feel fo the car. I went for a test drive over half a dozen times, each drive at least an hour long, before I bought one. My dealer is an enlightened one who believes the customer should have a good go before they buy.

Finally if you buy one then I advice:

- Advanced driving lesson a.s.a.p (I have invested in several things to improve my driving).

- Work on resisting the urge to drive like a total pratt just because you have a car that's quicker than most things on the road (no offence but you would be surprised how quickly common sense goes out the window).

- Enjoy your car!

If you buy one, have a great time!

Old 30 January 2003, 10:26 PM
Hel
Scooby Regular

Angry

Prob that its group 20 insurance. My cheepest quote was 1236.03(not ppp) and i dont think it would fit in my garage.
Seriously, depends what sti 7/8 you want. prob get a good deal on a 7 from a dealer at moment, as they have lost alot.
Old 30 January 2003, 10:50 PM
ImpIII
Scooby Regular

r32, I've just changed my VW 4motion for the STI8, thought about the R32, do I look back and think bad move. DEFINATELY NOT!!

I've only had the car a few days but in comparison, the STI is way ahead. Thought I would miss things like leather, heated seats etc. but to be honest I don't care.

Suspension - Only slightly stiffer but nothing to worry about. VW is lowered too.
Fuel Economy - I used to avg. 24-26 in VW, about 22 in STI.
Build Quality - OK
Dealers - Much more helpful/approachable than VW (I've had 4 VW's).
Fun Factor - VW 7/10, STI 11/10