Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

selling advice

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2003, 02:10 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got any tips on selling a scoob privately. I've got a few interested parties coming round this weekend to have a look at the car. 94 WRX 5dr.
Old 30 January 2003, 02:14 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

never look like you want to sell the car. Sometimes some people act like top notch mechanics and say your car has this and that. you know your car better than they do. if they say they only have a certain amount of money, it's a bunch of cr@p. they always have the right money. the rest of it is in the other pocket .
don't give the car for a test drive without being in it. warm up the car before they come, even if they say to you they want the engine to be cold....just say you went to ASDA
and always have this thought in your mind: I DON'T WANT TO SELL MY CAR, THEY WANT TO BUY IT
hope this helped.....
Old 30 January 2003, 02:19 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Always good to have paperwork handy for them to look at.
I did an HPI check and had it on the passenger seat for them to check over as well. Not a lot of money to spend on, but it's a confidence boost for any potential buyers.

Cash or bankers draft only.
If they insist on paying by cheque, they don't get the car until the funds are clear (common sense really here prevails)
If cash, insist on them counting it out, or taking it to the local bank to chuck through their machine.
Alternatively, if they use the same Bank and you have a phoneline type service, they can do an immediate transfer from account to account.

General hoover inside and out, quick spit 'n' polish really.

Best of luck selling.
Old 30 January 2003, 03:04 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Cheers for advice guys. Had another 2 folk call about it since i last posted. God bless autotrader I think getting rid of this thing is gonna be easier than i thought. I've even got a guy who wants to look at it tonight in the dark???

What would you do about allowing folk to test drive it? Obviously with me in the car but i'm the only driver on my insurance and i doubt their insurance will cover them on a group 19 import.

As for the HPI. I haven't had one done but i paid for it in full from a dealer and have the reciepts to prove it.

I think i'll pop into the car wash on the way home too. The DBM cars seem to look particularly shiny under orange street lights

I've noticed that a few of the folk have called thinking all scoobs are 280hp. Hopefully they'll be coming in something really slow and my wagon will feel like a 600hp skyline to them
Old 30 January 2003, 03:09 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

the darker it is the better!!! i forgot to tell you that you should arrange for the prospective to buyers to see it in the night.
i know it's paranoic, but have something in your hands or pocket for protection when someone comes to see the car or test-drive it. i am just saying that because you hear MANY stories about scoobies being stolen or car-jacked. And never go with two strangers on a test-drive. and as regarding the insurance, either you can refuse a test-drive saying the reason(insurance cover), or go to a place where he can't floor it too much. Hope this helped. Good Luck
Old 30 January 2003, 03:20 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

XT.

I know where you're coming from on the 'security' side of things. I had one guy call yesterday and immediately asked where i lived before asking anything about the car. I refused to give him my address. I doubt he was a serious buyer.

I think i'll be leaving the steering lock and handbrake lock on the car while they look around it too.

I've already told everyone that i'm in no rush to sell the car. To be honest i'm not really all that desperate to sell at the moment. More just trying to see what i can get for it but if i get a decent offer then i'll take it and save me the bother of selling it later.
Old 30 January 2003, 03:22 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

i hope that you will get a good offer.
did you try to advertise on scoobynet?
Old 30 January 2003, 03:36 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Good tip for selling in the dark is go to a petrol station, a nice busy one if possible. Plus must petrol stations have CCTV.

I remember when I went with a mate to buy his Integra Type R, it was me and my mate, I'm 6'2 and built like a brick **** house and my mate is 6'6 and the same build, the look on the guys face was a picture when we turned up.

He's on Scoobynet I think, he said he use to own a Scooby.

Good Luck

Dan
Old 31 January 2003, 09:18 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

You don't want to be advertising ya car on scoobynet dude, all the vultures will come out in force and spend ages telling you that your car is worth nothing. Don't believe 'em
Good luck with selling dude, stay sensible and you'll be fine.

Old 31 January 2003, 10:17 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

R U selling the wheels separately?

Difficult one, this, and the car magazines are schizophrenic. Buying advice says "only buy from the person's house, be suspicious of other places" and selling advice would be "arrange a neutral place to meet with plenty of passers by"...

No-one, but no-one, is test driving my car unless they have a banker's draft or cash in their hand for the full value I want and an insurance certificate for the car too.

Be careful, err on the side of paranoia. Genuine buyers will understand why and if they don't, tell 'em to fsck off...