Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash, Bang, Wallop - there come in 3's dont they?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2003, 03:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

1. Car pulls out of side road into my Impreza thios morning!

Car still drivable, so, go to town to do some shopping - park in

2. Car Park and Remote will not lock car!!!

Go to gym, can leave car there open and not worry - however remote now working!!

3. Decide to sort car out, give it a wash first to see the damage - Karcher Power washer springs a leek!!!

Bollox, Bollox, Bollox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

Old 19 January 2003, 03:42 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry to hear that Pete,cheer up it could have been worse( na that's bo**ox I'll get me coat)
Old 19 January 2003, 03:42 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

pete,

You see..... if you had a modded jap import with gold wheels you may of avoided the accident..

hope you get it sorted, im still getting mine done..!

Dan
Old 19 January 2003, 03:59 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

pete,

where did your karcher srping a leak? mine (650M? i think) decided to leak at the handle on the lance.

i emailed karcher and they said they would give me a free replacement but i've yet to post them the broken one...

steven
Old 19 January 2003, 04:21 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Opps Hope you get the car sorted soon Pete, if you give me you Karcher i wil get it sorted for you at my mate place at bramley "Karcher agent"

Ps. got a date yet???

Paul
Old 19 January 2003, 04:43 PM
dan4
Scooby Regular

I thought the gym was bad for old peoples bones?
Old 19 January 2003, 05:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, I have now 'cut-back' the wing and bumper side - looks a lot better!! There is a dent, minor, on the top of the wing - and a matching one where I went into the ditch!!

Anyone know how much Dentmaster or something like that charge for 2 small dents on 2 wings??

Hux - thanks for that offer, I used to live in Bramley!! - not sure where the leak is (water is pouring out of the casing) - It cost me a fair packet and I bought it when cheap ones started leaking!! Thought I would pay big money and its been great, UP TO NOW How long is their warranty?

Hux - is Jon still going to USA? Zena is being 'very' coy about it! then again she would be wouldnt she? talking to the Chair of Governors!!

Pete

ps. what do I do about the accident? I reckon 2 dents out and ignore the deep scratches and we are not talking BIG money. The person to blame is a young girl of not much more than 20, would be a shame to claim on her insurance and she will get hit year after year on premiums! Anyone settled privately after an accident? What safeguards need to be taken? To be honest I dont want some monkey in a bodyshop playing with my car while its in for repair AND I dont want the hassle or the time with some Ford Ka courtesy!

[Edited by pslewis - 1/19/2003 5:27:03 PM]
Old 19 January 2003, 05:45 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

pete,

The only way to get it done right is to take it somewhere decent... which will mean somewhere that has charges to match.

You seem to have taken this pretty well..?? If she was to blame then dont worry about her premiums, after all she drove into your car through no fault of your own..

If it was my car and i did nothing wrong then i would want the best repair as possible..!

Her premium wont be that much anyway because she is a female and is 20+..!

Dan
Old 19 January 2003, 05:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

Dan, doesnt Dentmaster do it right then??? The rest is scuff marks - I have buffed a lot out, its not really that bad.

I REALLY hate the idea of leaving it in a bodyshop for 2 or 3 days while they respray the wing and bumper after pulling the dents out!! Another thing, however good they are - you can ALWAYS tell a resprayed panel when compared to the other panels - and that would annoy me more than some scuff marks!!

I take it well because at the end of the day its a lump of metal - a fast lump of metal, granted - but a lump of metal nevertheless

Pete
Old 19 January 2003, 07:26 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Pete, unless she's willing to repay you handsomely then go through her insurance. She hit you and it's her fault, you'll teach her a valuable lesson that may save her life or someone elses one day.

I felt pity for a girl who hit me once and decided to take her money. She later reneged on the deal and started to say it was my fault so I had to accept a small sum instead.

Screw her for every penny she owes you or just....

F
Old 19 January 2003, 07:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Good God I thought I was a right b4rsteward!!! You lot are EVIL!!

Pete
Old 19 January 2003, 08:02 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Dent master are about £60 per panel.

ring the girlat that age she may still live with her parents, just explain that you want the car fixed & ask her or the parents how they want to take it.

sorry to hear about the car
Old 19 January 2003, 08:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks BARGE - do Dentmaster come out and quote for free?? That way I can send her a quote!

Pete
Old 19 January 2003, 08:58 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I tried to help out some young girl that went into the back of me, and i didnt want ANOTHER non-fault accident on my record. Anyway, her parents started tryin to get her out of it - sayin there was no damage etc. It was literally a 50squid repair, ended up havin to take it thru insurance even they wouldnt gimme details. Insurance chased it up. She lost her no claims. Coulda been avoided.

Just be careful if u think ur helpin some1 out..

Andy
Old 20 January 2003, 11:58 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Someone reversed into my 306 in a train station car park whilst I was getting off the train, chased after the car and got the reg plate as he was driving off.

as most people on the train are regular commuters I decided to camp out and have a word with the guy if he turned up.

He was a bit stand offish and denied hitting my car after which i pointed out the paint on his bumper (blue) and the paint missing from mine. he agreed to settle it. as I also showed him the CCTV camera pointing whre my car was and I would get the police involved as well.

I got a quote for the repair ( £200 ). gave him a copy he gave me a cheque with a letter stating he had paid me £ 200 for the full repair and no further claims or payments could be made. I signed a copy he signed a copy done deal.

so a good outcome all round a lot less hassle and no premiums going up. and I was able to have it repaired at the place of my choice and also got the stone chips touched up at the same time.

I would not do this if there was any type of injury claim, as that gets very messy and very exspensive even if it is minor.
Old 20 January 2003, 12:22 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Pete, sorry to hear that mate, bloody women drivers huh?

I was hit once whilst stationary by a young girl who admitted fault at the scene, we swopped details and as she was very upset by it I tried to reassure her that we could sort it out cash and without getting the insurance company involved but later on recieved a very nasty phone call from her father who insisted that I'd admitted responsilility for it at the scene, difficault as I had my handbrake on at the time! As you can imagine it then got a bit nasty

Do go through her insurance company, she shouldn't have hit you so tough! Stop being nice, it doesn't suit you...

Sal
Old 21 January 2003, 12:52 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Pete ill call you in the week sometime

Huxley
Old 21 January 2003, 09:19 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Smile

pete...my commisserations! Unfortunate but hope the damage is sorted soon.
Old 21 January 2003, 09:26 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

OK Hux

Thanks Mark!!

The damage really isnt that bad - I have cut back and cut back and it has taken most of the scratches out. One minor dent remains - but you can only see it at the correct angle!

Pete
Old 21 January 2003, 12:36 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Can't you report it to your insurance company but state that until the car has been checked you aren't claiming? You can then speak to Dentmaster and get a quote, although I am not sure they come out to give a quote. I called Dent Magican recently and was told it was x per dent (I think x was £80 + VAT) and I could take the car to them. I took the car to them but they couldn't do it because of the location of the dent. However for £80 I doubt they are going to want to give quotes as it wouldn't prove cost effective!

However I'd goive the girl who hit you a call and tell her what you are planning to do.

Chris
Old 21 January 2003, 01:30 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Remember Pete....

Behind every cloud theres a GOLD lining

Jza
Old 21 January 2003, 05:23 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you've got her number, thats the main thing
Old 21 January 2003, 09:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

DentWizard wants £85 + VAT - they havent seen it yet.

The side of the bumper looks like its been driven through a brush but the scratches are coming out.

So, all in all, it looks like £85 + VAT = £100 + something for paint for the side of bumper.

I would have thought she would want to pay that and end it there? If its insurance Company then I may as well get a new bumper, dent out of wing ............ BUT I dont want a re-sprayed wing - You know how bad that looks!!

She may however be awkward and not want to play ball - is it all worth it??

I have her name and address - reg number - but cant find a telephone number (may be ex-directory of course!) a letter maybe?

Pete
Old 21 January 2003, 10:03 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

So whats the update pete?
Was it hard to track her Reg to her address?

Ray
Old 21 January 2003, 10:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Need to ring DVLA, Ray

Been tied up with other things happening

Hows the job hunt mate?

Pete
Old 21 January 2003, 11:02 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Pete,
Whatever you do - DON'T keep cutting the paint back .... You know how thin it is - You'll be down to the primer in no time & then it'll be even harder to make a claim !

Quite clearly you are a real softy Letting an insurance claim go by like that !

A good spray job is preferable to a primer coloured wing IMHO

Gastro
Old 21 January 2003, 11:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hiya matey hows it hanging??

****, I thought the DBM was going darker - its the undercoat coming through!! 'Brasso' is a touch rough, but it certainly removes the deeper scratches!! Leaves a glass shine too!! Might just use it instead of my usual AutoGlym!

Softy? Nah, just is it worth someone so young getting hit by the insurance industry? If she can pay me to get the dent done then alls well with the world!

I was her age once - in 1950 I think, a different world then of course. If you were stuck at the side of the road people stopped and helped - today they will stop all right, then rob you blind!! Sorry world

Pete

[Edited by pslewis - 1/21/2003 11:17:21 PM]
Old 21 January 2003, 11:47 PM
HGV1 Driver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hi Pete, yes are still going to the U.S.A and Canada for 6 months in April, sold the house on monday in Thatcham, will be living @ the farm (Zena's mum) till we go and still employed, both of us, i have put my notice in but Zena has not yet said anything yet.
Not sure what to do with scooby though don't really want to get rid of.

Jon
Old 21 January 2003, 11:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Hi Jon - nice one!! I will not say anything at the school. Couldnt you keep the Scoobie at the farm? Let Lesley use it - keep it running see??

Pete
Old 22 January 2003, 07:24 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hello Pete.

i did ALOT of research in to Building Servise Engineering and i found out that the job is not really for me so i turned it down. Just taking my time and trying not to get worked up about not having a Design job. i know it will come to me some day.
im now looking in to doing some more AutoCAD training bcuz i fell in love with Solidworks and i need to polish up on it.

I hope you get ya car sorted. Maybe this is a sign to buy the MY03

Ray

PS. Dont you think its time for you old boys to move over and let us young boys have protect us at night?

Quick Reply: Crash, Bang, Wallop - there come in 3's dont they?