warranty woes

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2003, 03:46 AM
essexscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hello Folks
Ive recently traded my MY00 for an MY01 P1 (at a NON subaru dealer) and although ive now got a grin permanently fixed on my face i've got probs with the warranty. It seems the "thoughtful" previous owner had decided to run the service intervals on mileage rather than months and the car had the last service in Feb 02.(7,500 mile service) The car has only done 14,000 miles but when I rang my local dealer he told me that it would be best to have the 30,000/24 month (nice and expensive) service to bring the book back up to date. After asking if there would be a problem with the 2 empty spaces this would leave in the book i was informed "well the warranty is void anyway now as the previous owner hasnt complied with the service intervals".
Now I was offered a Subaru warranty I can buy at extra cost (i'm assuming this will be the same as the extended warranty).
Just wondering if anyone else has had this before? Not looking for sympathy by the way as i'm more than pleased with the car!
Just after anyones previous experience???

Keith
MY01 P1
Old 18 January 2003, 04:07 AM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

I've been told that you HAVE to get the car services within 10 days of the 6 month limit, or you're stuffed. Don't know what the mileage boundary is.

I always services when 'which ever comes first'.

I've known of a dealership that 'forgot' to tell people about the 6 month min, and they would take in cars and backdate things.
No names. Don't even bother asking.

Chris
Old 18 January 2003, 04:19 AM
essexscooby
Scooby Regular

Chris
Same here mate I had full service history on my my00 i had from new.

Keith
MY01 P1
Old 18 January 2003, 08:51 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Firstly - all P1's are MY00. It may have an 01 plate on it but it was still manufactured in 00!

In regards to the warranty - surely you asked them about this when you were looking at the car? The delear (even if non subaru) should have had the servicing up to date. If the servicing has been missed then the warranty is void. Even an extended subaru warranty requires the car to be a) serviced by subaru and b) serviced within the schedules outlined.

Did the car not come with a warranty from the dealer you bought it from? A mate bought one from Ralliart and got both a 1 year warranty from them and the remainder of the warranty from Subaru.

Simon.
Old 18 January 2003, 08:56 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

according to p1 warranty book you can service it every 7500 miles +/- 1000 miles.i too am awaiting 30000 service -have been told it will cost £350
martin
Old 18 January 2003, 11:53 AM
wrrjones
Scooby Regular

The milage limit is within 500miles i.e 7500<>500mls
Old 18 January 2003, 12:03 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

Ouch!

Sorry to hear this.
Questions
1)was the car sold to you with any other type of warranty?

2) did the garage tell you it had the balance of a Subauru warranty left to run?

3)Did you ask the garage if the car had a warranty?

I would imagine that you did not part with the best part of £ 20K on a car without a arranty, especially as you are already a Scoob owner.
Old 18 January 2003, 12:59 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yes but remember that its whichever comes first. So if 6 months have passed before you hit 7,500 miles (since the last service) then its time for another service.
Old 18 January 2003, 04:17 PM
essexscooby
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies.
Simon, Thanks for that info about all being MY00.
I did look at the warranty book before buying the car and informed the guy that the servicing was not up to date. He said that the previous owner must have ran the servicing on mileage which I aggree with. I didnt want him to service the car before I bought it as I knew it wouldnt be done at a Subaru dealer. I DID get 3 months warranty from the dealer but also was told that the car was sold with the remainder of the manufacturers warranty (i'm phoning him on monday to see what he has to say about this). As you stated paul I would not have bought a car like this with NO warranty!
Can anyone confirm if the warranty I've been offered by my Subaru dealer is the same as the one you get when you extend after 3 years? I will make sure the servicing is kept up to date from now on!

Thanks again
Keith
MY00 P1 (note MY00 simon!)
Old 18 January 2003, 04:59 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hi Keith, no problem about the info - thats what we are here for

Your P1 should come with a 3 year manufacturers warranty. This starts from when the car was registered. Even the first P1's sold will still be under warranty albeit by a few months. This differs slightly from an extended warranty which is usually offered after the manufacturers warranty.

For example my car (not a P1 as my name suggests) was an import from Holland. Because of this it only came with a 1 year manufacturers warranty. I bought another two years extended warranty to take me up to 3 years. Mine runs out Sept 2003. Im still deciding whether to extend it or not.

Simon.
Old 18 January 2003, 05:08 PM
essexscooby
Scooby Regular

Simon,
Thanks mate but I was on about this NEW warranty I was offered yesterday when I booked in for the 30,000 mile service. I assumed this will be the same as the one your considering when yours runs out?
Keith
MY00 P1
Old 18 January 2003, 05:11 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

It will be the extended warranty. They will give you a little booklet that explains the ins and outs of what you must do to keep your car covered.

Simon.
Old 18 January 2003, 05:24 PM
essexscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mate
Keith
MY00 P1
Old 18 January 2003, 06:55 PM
Dixie P1
Scooby Regular

Essexscooby,

I had the same problem with an evo6 I had.The previous owner had missed the service time by 3 weeks but the milage was still well inside.So before I purchased the car I made sure the warranty wasn't invalid.

I rang my local dealer who informed me that the warranty would be invalid,however if all the previous services had been done on time they could send the service book away and get it reinstated.This was at a cost of 40 quid,but money well spent in my opinion.

I'm not sure if this will help you in anyway,but it must be worth a try asking your dealer if they could do the same.

Cheers.
Old 18 January 2003, 07:42 PM
essexscooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Dixie
I'll ask at the dealers when I go gotta be worth a try!
Thanks
Keith
MY00 P1
Old 18 January 2003, 07:44 PM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

sounds like youre been done
go back and see the dealer you brought it from and get some compensation or get them to sort it (some hope)