Sponsored by:

a much happier MY02 owner

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2003, 10:00 AM
purpleronnie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Yesterday i took my my02 wrx into Wilsons chadwell heath for a wheel balance and saw the my03 wrx and sti for the first time. a kind workshop guy allowed me to look at both inside and out and to my suprise i liked my my02 much better. i will be the first to agree that the new front end is an improvement on the bug eye however with morette light conversion in my humble opinion is that the my02 looks far more aggressive and purposeful.as my my02 was not deleivered until november 2002 (ordered in april) i was gutted especially after reading all the post on here about how ugly the my02 was compared to the my03, it was great to see the mt03and even have one other person down at wilsons (who will remain anonymous)agree that with the headlight conversion the my02 looked as good if not better. well everyone is entitled to their opinion and for all you my00 my01 and my02 owners make your mind up when you see the new car before hastliy changing. oh and the scoops on the new cars especially the sti are awful
Old 17 January 2003, 12:18 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

I've not seen the 03 in the flesh so can't comment too much, however I wouldn't swap my 01 with UK300 lights & spoiler for the blobeye. Mine's much nicer!!!!! IMHO

BB

Probably only saying this because I havn't seen the 03 and I can't afford to swap at the mo, due to v.poor residuals!
Old 17 January 2003, 12:52 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yep I agree I wouldnt choose an 01,02 or 03 over my classic 00 .
Old 17 January 2003, 01:23 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
The longer I have my bugeye the more I love the looks (with morettes) and the more classics (except P1) looks dated. Still love em mind, so no flames. Just MHO.

NOT HAD A F-ING LETTER FROM WILSONS INVITING ME TO DRIVE THE STI8 YET.... GRRRRRR ...
Old 17 January 2003, 03:03 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Guys... Guys...

Please lets not start getting like the owners of the old shape car were when we first bought our old bugeyes (we all hated them as they slagged our cars off as ugly).

The new cars different - as was our bugeye - people will buy them and love them as we did ours.......

leave it at that and lets keep track of our hypocrism - ok !!!

Jza
Old 17 January 2003, 03:26 PM
purpleronnie
Scooby Newbie

Cool

agree with jza (and the new car is good looking)but would mention that there was mass P*ss taking at people who "had been foolish enough to buy a bug eye" when the new my03 photos came out. it was alikend to having leprosy if you had brought a bug eye especially in 2002. it was just an observation that the difference in looks are not as overwhelming as i first thought when first seeing the photos (glitzed up at the paris motor show).
Old 17 January 2003, 03:41 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jza is right, I remember when Jza, me and a handful of others were the only ones to have bugeye cars. There was no end of slagging off and bitchy comments.

Let's not bring this flame war back.

They are all great cars and we buy what we like not what others think we should have.

Nathan..
Old 17 January 2003, 03:52 PM
purpleronnie
Scooby Newbie

Smile

just to get things in perspective. its always good to have debate but the posting of this message was not to cause any slagging off nor was it a remark from a frustrated bug eye owner. it was purely to make a few people feel better who may have felt like i did in nov 2002 (feeling i had made a bad call in buying my car). There was so much post to make you feel that way. there will be many proud owners of the my03 but owning a my01/02 should make you feel just as good and not that you made a mistake. oh and the "classic" is still a classic
Old 17 January 2003, 03:59 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You have to do what you think is best for you and stuff what other people think . I very nearly brought one of the first MY01 but back then there were no styling stuff and no PPP to increase the performance (if I remeber took a long time for stuff to appear) so I decided to swap my MY98 for an import MY00. Bit of a risk but I wnet for it and have enjoyed owning the MY00. I dont expect everyone to have made the same decision, but I think it was the right one for me and what I wanted from the car.
Old 17 January 2003, 03:59 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

purpleronnie

I'm with you mate, I bought my bugeye late 2002 and love it - with morette's. with the money I saved on list (even with the price decrease) I paid for PPP fitted.

Wicked
Old 17 January 2003, 04:45 PM
minister of speed
Scooby Regular

Talking

As wagons go, theres not much nicer than a silver bug eyed wagon

(Beauty in the eye of the beholder etc.)

And I am so glad its not blob eyed too, no offence peeps.
Old 17 January 2003, 04:50 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Cool

Another MY02 WRX happy owner here - fitted morettes, PPP and antracite alloys during the '02 sale, for less than the new discounted price.

It's my first Scooby and I'm loving it - I think thats the important bit.
Old 17 January 2003, 08:44 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree with lucky strike, its not how it looks its how it goes. Its still a damn good drivers car on UK roads. Having owned an MY99 and now my MY02 I prefer the solid feel of it actually and the interior which is superior IMHO. At the end of the day, you spend more time behind the wheel than standing on the driveway staring at it
Without sounding too contradictive my car with Prodrive WR Sport lights gets its fair share of admiring glances
Old 17 January 2003, 10:32 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Another one here too - My WRX was registered last month, but I had Morettes, Prodrive Spoiler and Prodrive Anthracite Wheels fitted and it looks so different - It's great.
Old 18 January 2003, 01:34 AM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

I personally prefer the MY02 Prodrive STi to the new one, I'd need a periscope to see over that scoop!

If I decide to swap my car in the next year, i'll have an Evo 8 over the STi8 anyday.
Old 18 January 2003, 02:32 AM
ed_the_duck
Scooby Regular

i have a my00 in silver and its a beaut'.....and there is a bb mica bug eye (new) that im considering....think they look different
and nice in thier own way. just seen the 03 in the showroom too and think they look different, but nice in thier own way......think that scoop will be good for catchin yer dinner in on the way home from work
Old 18 January 2003, 03:49 AM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

I've got a P1, and there is no way I'd have gone for a fugly.

If Prodrive get their act together and bring out a version of the 03 model that can rival an EVO (if they don't then we've lost the battle), then I'll move from my P1 to that.

Until then, I'll consider myself to be the happiest moterist on the planet (or the one with one of the biggest grins anyway).

Chris
Old 18 January 2003, 12:03 PM
wrrjones
Scooby Regular

I much prefer the 02 wrx to the 03 that scoop is just so max power
..........................lol
Old 18 January 2003, 12:31 PM
Eldar
Scooby Regular

I've a MY02 and it looks ugly. But then, so does the my03. I bought it for the driving, which is excellent, not the looks.

Strangely, I'm happy to see residuals drop like a stone, as its on contract hire, so will be cheaper to buy at the end of the contract.

So, all in all I'm a happy MY02 owner as well

Colin.
Old 18 January 2003, 12:50 PM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Well, I'm a MY01 owner, but then I've got a 'classic' ariel
Old 18 January 2003, 04:01 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Yeah who cares about looks I got mine for the CORNERING

Old 20 January 2003, 01:53 AM
DAZ6151
Scooby Regular

I got mine my02 for the driving but still had to get those lights changed to moretts but now think its the dogs testies.

Darren
Old 20 January 2003, 07:03 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmmmm..... well what a surprise that MY02 owners are trying to convince themselves that they're cars are better than the 03s and classic owners are telling themselves that the new cars are all overweight and have gone soft . What ever incarnation you have of the scooby your more than likely to try to convince yourselve/us that you made the write choice, if that makes you happy the great.

Personally if i had the choice a nice evo7/8 would be on the drive way..... anybody want to buy my scooby .

Tony.
Old 20 January 2003, 09:46 AM
Road-rash
Scooby Regular

Looked @ booth models on thurs wasn't impressed, went back up on saturday with Bro and had a good look round WRX looks a lot better than STi. looks like subaru have cock3d up again .Sales director said keep MY01/02 prices will go up around about May time.Bug eye is a better looking car?
Old 20 January 2003, 11:11 AM
NicholasO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Purpleronnie,

I too ordered an MY02 in May, it arrived just before Christmas. Best Xmas present ever! I too felt the way you did for a while, especailly as a few workmates etc. were saying things like "Oh yeh nice car, but ugly eh!" I put this down to a bit of the green eyed monster!

I went for the clear indicator set, and leather interior. I'm well please with the spec inside and out. The bugeye's have grown on me, and the car certainly looks different and aggressive. However thought about changing the Headlights at some stage. Am I right in thinking the morrette's and the ones on the STI are the only options?

They both look smart, does anybody know if they offer any other advantages, e.g. better lighting etc? How much should either conversion cost?

Besides the looks are there an major differences between an MY03 & MY02?
Old 20 January 2003, 01:56 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Nick,

Just go for the PPP, go on...you know you want to.