Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Warning to all

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 10:47 PM
astenhouse
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last week I posted a note about loosing control of my Sti7 and sliding off road over fence and about 8m into field with minila damage.

Tonight had the local police drop by to check all papers etc as the local farmer had taken my registration and reported me for failing to stop at the scene of an accident (which he apparently witnessed and never even came over to see if I was OK. Apparently I could be changed with failing to report and accident and careless driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fairness the police were OK and said that if I settle with farmer for repair to his fence (4 posts @ £1.20 or something like that) it will be OK. If not he may contact my insurance and request compensation with load of hassle

Moral for everyone - If you skid off the road and damage anything third party you should report it to the police. Stupid though it is they won't really be interested but it could prevent a lot of hassle and the potential for points etc.

Take care in the snow

Old 09 January 2003, 10:44 AM
astenhouse
Scooby Regular

Had similar experience to you years ago when somebody backended my car effetively writing it off but as no one hurt police not interested.

Police insist that ANY damage to third party property should be reported otherwise you may get done for leaving the scene of an accident, failing to report and accident and careless driving.

Know somebody who reported taking out a couple of fence posts and they were not interested however it keeps within the law. I spent over an hour last night with the boys in blue, examining all paperwork, statements examining my car etc. So the results may depend on the common sense of those involved.

Thanks for you reply.

Old 09 January 2003, 11:09 AM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Who remembers Farmer Palmer from Viz: "Get off my land!"
Old 09 January 2003, 11:22 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Highway Code says;
If you are involved in an accident while driving and: Someone else is injured, Damage occurs to property or another vehicle, or An animal is killed,
YOU MUST; Stop and wait a reasonable time to, Give to anyone with reasonable grounds to require them;
a) Your name and address,
b) The vehicle owners name and address if different from yours and c) The registration number of the vehicle
If you comply with the above thats it, if you cannot give the above then you MUST report the accident to the police as soon as is reasonably practicable and in any case within 24 Hours.
Only if someone else is injured do you need to give insurance details
Old 09 January 2003, 12:28 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Who remembers Farmer Palmer from Viz: "Get off my land!"
Jethro... BLAST him!
Old 01 August 2003, 11:39 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought (and wil stand corrected)

that it was only an offence to not report an accident, or get the police involved if someone is injured

someone not something

I was told by the police, when I got rear ended whilst staitonary by someone who was still doing 70mph, that my accident was not recorded, as no abulance was involved, and that I 'seemed' to be ok

I only know this cos I phoned the police a few days later to get the details of the driver, as they wouldnt let me speak to him at the scene (the police were witnessess to the accident)

they were also gobsmacked I didnt want to press charges, i told em it was an accident, and not malicious in any way

edited to remove reply to another post

Steve

[Edited by *Sonic* - 1/8/2003 11:40:12 PM]