New forum - "DIY Mapping" or similar

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2000, 12:42 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Mike,

about to take the Possum plunge - it's on it's way!

Would very much welcome more collaboration on the Possum front - it can only help all of us Scooby drivers

If you have any specific watchwords I would appreciate an email offline - you know where you found me

David
Old 21 February 2000, 11:04 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Question

Peeps,

It has occurred to me that now many people are taking the plunge with the Possum Link ECU, it might be a good idea to devote a separate technical forum to the area of replacement ECUs and mapping.

The idea would be to consolidate all the technical discussions regarding mapping, as well as all the "which?" type of questions that people are asking a lot of at the moment.

I have a whole raft of private e-mails that I have exchanged with Bob Rawle, and these provide a fairly useful technical resource in their own right. I can post these to start the ball rolling if people think it's a good idea to have a forum such as this.

As someone who is still very much on the ECU mapping nursery slopes, I am still able to confirm that it is an intensively technical process. As more people start following the same path, I believe it would be beneficial to have a separate forum for the in-depth discussions, as they won't be of interest to anyone who doesn't have a Possum or whatever.

I reckon it's better to have a generic mapping forum, rather than something specific to the Possum, as you never know what's over the horizon in this game. The Possum is flavour of the month right now, but in a year, who knows?

So, is there enough interest out there to justify this? Please feel free to make your feelings known below!

TTFN

-= mike =-
Old 21 February 2000, 11:08 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Mike,

Good plan. I don't own a Scooby so all the other stuff (spoilers, ECU error codes, mats, wipers etc.) is of no interest.

However, many of these ECU systems are available for other makes/models so a discussion forum just for these would be useful to a wider audiance than just Sccoby owners. Of course, it would contain mainly Scooby specific information, but hey, I can live with that as this is Scoobynet ;-)

Cheers

Ian Watkins (GT4)
Old 21 February 2000, 11:10 AM
Sanity
Scooby Newbie

I agree, as someone who is about to take the plunge and buy the Tuning Module for my PossumLink I'd love to see this seperate forum. Also, your communications with Bob would be most useful as he is 'the man'

Rgds,

M
Old 21 February 2000, 11:15 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Kinnell, that was quick! Keep 'em coming...

-= mike =-
("The Sorcerer's Apprentice")
Old 21 February 2000, 01:36 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Since the matter has been drawn to my attention off-line, I should point out that I wouldn't post any part of my correspondence with Bob without his permission, either privately or publicly.

However, the information contained is hardly subject to the Official Secrets Act, and relates mainly to "innocent" subjects like idle running. (For the uninitiated, things like high-end fuelling and boost targets are the areas to stay away from if you want to play it safe.) If/when the forum is open, I will probably produce some edited highlights and clear things with Bob first.

-= mike =-
Old 21 February 2000, 02:15 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

I too have the "Bob-Xfiles"..

I spoke to Bob a while back about knocking about a Possum FAQ enthusiasts site - trouble is we are both too busy..

thats what it needs though..trouble with the BBS is that its recent topics, rather than a genuine source of direct info.

I did register
Old 21 February 2000, 03:00 PM
Glen Stenhouse
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice idea Mike.

Link are due to release an ECU replacement for the Toyota GT4 and MR2 turbo Mr Watkins.

They also have the EVOLink and on for the Nissan GTIR.

There are also options for all turbo and injected cars. Get ready Cavalier boys.

Have a look at
Old 21 February 2000, 03:04 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Too many M's in the link Glen
Old 21 February 2000, 11:02 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Mike, at least this new forum might get some postings, unlike the DISCOUNTS. LOL

No joke aside, I haven't got a Possum (yet!), but this could be well worth while.

Dan
Old 21 February 2000, 11:50 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Glen

Did you say GT4 ? Did you ? Did you ?

(Ian gets far to over-excited, especially as it is past his bedtime)

If anybody can help on GT4 specific info. (Bob?) please let me know (email is good).

Cheers

Ian Watkins (GT4)
Old 22 February 2000, 02:28 AM
Anders
Scooby Regular

Old 22 February 2000, 02:40 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anders,

I detect you are a tad peeved, ranting on like that!

Why not get some sleep dude. Go on, prescribe yourself some sleepers it's late you know!!

G'night

Suresh
Old 22 February 2000, 10:39 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Well, there does seem to be some interest. I know Webmaster Phil is very busy ATM, so just keep posting messages here and I'm sure he'll be along shortly...
Old 22 February 2000, 11:43 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

New forum: Good idea Mike!
Old 22 February 2000, 03:29 PM
Sanity
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

OK,

So here's the rub. I've registered
Old 22 February 2000, 03:47 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Hi Sanity,

Are you thinking of a discussion site, or a "passive" information site (FAQ etc.?)

-= mike =-
Old 22 February 2000, 04:00 PM
BillYoung
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

I think this would be a good idea,only thing as Anders says, potentially it could be an engine destroying forum and should only really be used as reference.I have "Had a Go!" and it scared the **** out of me when i seen all my Knock Led's lit at 7000rpm.The tuning should most definitely be left to only those that know how.
Old 22 February 2000, 04:18 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Trust me, the only thing scarier than that is seeing exactly how much technical knowledge is required to do the job properly! I bought a textbook at the weekend, and it has already scared the c**p out of me

Seriously, your point is very well made. This is not something that should be taken lightly, and a heck of a lot of discipline and patient research is required if you are going to start changing your map without hurting your engine. I acknowledge the view that having a public forum on this subject might encourage people to rush in and land up in the mire. Perhaps an eGroup list would be a better way to go?

-= mike =-
Old 22 February 2000, 04:47 PM
Sanity
Scooby Newbie

Mike,

I agree that there could be potential for people to just have a go without fully understanding the consequences. However, we are all adults and have to suffer the consequences of our actions every day. So long as we make it clear on the site I don't see a problem.

I'm thinking of both really. Something with UltimateBBS like this one but with plenty of static information too. I am also willing to host a mailing list so that we can keep everything in one place. Why not kill all 3 birds with one stone!

The potential is there - I just need acknowledgement that we will go for this and I'll get cracking on it.

Rgds,

Mark
Old 22 February 2000, 04:52 PM
Glen Stenhouse
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Sanity,

Nice idea for the site. I seem to remember it being done before but probably not to a high standard.

Have you checked with Possum Bourne Motorsport before you pass of a site with their name. Albeit good intentions. Link should also be informed. Bob Richardson is a good guy and should have no problem with it.

To solely focus on the PossumLink would be a shame as they have so much more to offer and it would put you in a good position for feedback and requests.

You have to remember that there is an EvoLink, MiataLink, TurboLink, InjectorLink, GTiRLink, etc... The ToyotaLink for the 3SGTE 2 litre turbos should also be out by now.

Just me rambling.
Old 22 February 2000, 04:56 PM
Sanity
Scooby Newbie

Glen,

I also registered linkecu.co.uk I will be in touch with Link ElectroSystems to obtain permission for developing the site using this domain.

Rgds,

M
Old 22 February 2000, 05:26 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Mike N,

Slightly off-topic, sorry!

What book did you scare yourself with? Is it worth reading?

Moray
Old 22 February 2000, 05:32 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

The book is "Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals" by John B. Heywood (McGraw-Hill Series in Mechanical Engineering). It is available in paperback for about £25 in the UK. Here is the Amazon link for the hardback version:
Old 24 February 2000, 12:58 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Two things.

All,

While we are on books, I am currently reading an excellent book all about turbocharging, how it works, manifolds, intercoolers, the whole shooting match:

Called Maximum Boost: