Sponsored by:

Modded Scoob beats Porsche 911 again and again

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2002, 11:31 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Just come in from a night out with work mates at the bowling alley and had to take a guy home who I work with who is always praising 911's, quick car this and that etc. Been in one dead fast etc

Getting in my Scoob to night he say 'I like Subaru's really' - could be as I am giving him a lift home

Decided to give it the big right front after me engine was warm at which he exclaims 'F***in H**l this is quick. I didn't realise how quick they were'!!!

That was in 2nd gear, so did again in 3rd. At which point there was silence. Point made I think

Pulls up in his street and the whole place is lit up like Santa's grotto. So just to annoy the neighbours I let it rip with me scorpion

Good night and sleep tight.

Point made to another Porka fan.

Anybody else got a Porsche fanatic mate that this has been done to ???

Old 20 December 2002, 12:00 AM
ollyshorey
Scooby Regular

Yep,

Took a customer for a spin who has a boxter - S, he totally loved it, and couldnt beleive how fast it was !!

Good stuff.
Old 20 December 2002, 12:10 AM
Rice Rocket..
Scooby Regular

Porsches not hairdresser's cars though!!!

But what do i know

Crinch Rocket
Old 20 December 2002, 06:25 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

His porker must be pants if a UK300 amazed him
Old 20 December 2002, 08:45 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would need 375-400 BHP IMHO to equal a 996 on acceleration with a UK300. Although a turbo [Impreza] feels quicker than it really is compared to NA [Porsche].

See if your car will do 30-70 in well under 3.8 seconds with no lag then think again?

[Edited by john banks - 12/20/2002 8:47:52 AM]
Old 20 December 2002, 09:03 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The beauty of the scoob is the way it delivers the power, which is definitely in the "old style" of turbo. It makes you think "oh, this is normal" then thumps you once the turbo's spinning.

I love the effect, and it makes the car feel a hell of a lot faster than it really is. The noise from the exhaust helps, too
Old 20 December 2002, 09:03 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

So the Porsche he's been in isn't the latest turbo then .

Tony.
Old 20 December 2002, 09:11 AM
Cat42
Scooby Regular

I was taken for a spin in my mate's Carrera RS (3.8 NA) which, in comparision to his old Evo VI, didn't feel that quick. But a glance at the speedo when he was accelerating confirmed that we were flying!

The power delivery from the Porsche felt smooth and progressive whereas the Evo / Impreza gives you that turbo kick so it feels even quicker. (As chiark mentioned above)

I remember being overtaken by 2 Porsches and the M5 ring car at the Nurburgring just as you approach to the first corner (I think!). My mate was driving his Evo VI at the time and the three of them flew past past as if we were stationary! I've never been out on a track before and to go along to the world famous 'Ring was an unbelievable experience. S**t the life out of me!!!

Edited cos I repeated what chiark said!

[Edited by Cat42 - 12/20/2002 9:15:03 AM]
Old 20 December 2002, 09:16 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hmmmm.... let me think.....

"Hey Mak! What do you want for Christmas?"....

Porsche 911 (history, performance, class, quality, reliability, speed, handling (in the right hands), stigma, build quality....)

OR...

Scooby...
(Handling, performance, err... Rally Legacy... err... cheap interior, questionable build quality (by comparison), err... cheaper to buy... err... that's about it really....)

Yep, I'd have the porka every time...

Trouble is, I cant afford to spend £50k on a car so I drive a Scoob!

Mak.
Old 20 December 2002, 09:21 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well the 3.8 RS is a very special beast indeed!

Old 20 December 2002, 09:36 AM
Cat42
Scooby Regular

It certainly is.....

Old 20 December 2002, 09:39 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Angry

Here we ******* go again with the usual scoobynet mentality.

The Facts:

- Steve has a fairly quick scooby
- His friend - a fellow car enthusiast - has a 911
- Steve takes friend for a drive who is suitably impressed with the Impreza
- He posts his experience on scoobynet

And what do we do [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] tell him his car is **** and a 911 is better and sooooo much fast, etc, etc FFS, he isn't saying that his car would waste a 911, mearly that his friend who has a considerably more expensive car was quite taken aback by the performance of the Impreza. That is a good thing is it not.

No wonder we can't sell our scoobs, we're all pathetic salesmen that slag our own car every chance we get!!!
Old 20 December 2002, 09:45 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"beats" "again and again"
Old 20 December 2002, 09:49 AM
Cat42
Scooby Regular

Chill out Saxo boy

I personally think both cars are great in their own right.

But I don't think he helped himself by the way he's worded his topic. But hey we all love a little banter!

Happy Xmas.
Old 20 December 2002, 09:53 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

"beats" "again and again"
I see your point and when I read that I thought it would be a V's thread (hence the reason I opened it ) Having read the post though its clear the the ol' tonque was firmly in cheek with regards to the title.

Besides, your car would beat a 911 so it can be done
Old 20 December 2002, 10:22 AM
loddrik2
Scooby Regular

So this finally confirms it then, Porsches are cr*p and scoobys are the best car in the world. If I was a Porsche owner reading this thread, I would be laughing so hard I would never be able to drive again, never mind stand the embarassment of admitting that I owned a Porsche. I am amazed at what I read on this board sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 December 2002, 10:34 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Saxo boy.... read the begining of the thread. The guy doesn't own a Porsche he just likes them and 'has been in one.' Doesn't make any difference tho..... i too am sick and tired with posts like these.

I'll get my coat .

Tony.
Old 20 December 2002, 10:50 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Red face

What is the problem here. His friend was impressed by the Impreza!! What is wrong with that! There was no racing, no V's???? Have you guys not had friends in the car that have commented on how quick it is. Is the scooby really that **** that we're not allowed to give it any praise
Old 20 December 2002, 10:51 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

any of u ever been out in a carrera 4 turbo R, if not, do it, its unbelievable and NO LAG!!!
Old 20 December 2002, 11:52 AM
Gina G-force
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Get a grip guys!
It's horses for courses. I've owned 911's (admittedly old one's) and recently have been full of posts demonstrating my (unrequitted) love of 911's.

BUT, when it came to the crunch – the moment to write out the ad that says 'Scoob for sale', I couldn't do it The recent bad weather has shown me just what a fantastic all-weather car an Impreza truly is. I now cannot see a time when I *wont* have one around. The grin factor, in relation to the price, IS unbeatable, (surely )

Rejoice, if you're lucky enough to own a Scoob. B0ll0X to the supposed price-slide, paint quality issues. Subaru built the Impreza to a price – a low one – then bestowed GIANT killing properties upon it. It will always have a cr@p interior. You didn't pay for a high quality one. You bought a car that has a fantastic chassis and performance.

I do miss my old 911's though, but I'll not sacrifice my Scoob to get one. It'll have to be additional to. Which means a long wait.

I mentioned unrequitted love earlier. I love 911's, but they don't love me back. Both cost a lot more to run than most of the breed, and suffered lots of niggling probs that had severe knock-on effects. To my bank balance mainly. Touch wood, my Scoob is an exemplar of reliability, practicality (5 door) and storming performance and roadholding.

ENJOY YOUR SCOOBS GUYS (AND GIRLS)

Gina G
Old 20 December 2002, 05:12 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I think at present many folk are just fed up with the daily dose of I raced a (insert suitably fast car) and kicked his (insert profanity here)..
I have to agree that porkers are a fantastic car and I love the fact that my car comes close to that performance (I'm sure that in certain situations I would rather be in th STI) and love impressing friends with the similarity in some of the performance figures, but ultimately I would prefer to be in a porsche.
Can't afford it so Scoob it is and I love it.
A
Old 20 December 2002, 05:53 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

My mates and I have owned lots of more expensive performance cars is our time Porkers, M3s etc.

However what I love about my Scoob is that it only cost me £8.5K, it is loud, **** poor inside, a bit of unasuming jap tat compared to the build quality of a 40k Beemer. It is the poor mans performance car. IT IS THE UNDERDOG and it f*cks over cars costing huge amounts more that look alot faster. I love it. It is just a big two fingers up to that pratt that is tail gaiting me in his new Audi TT or whatever.

Hope you see what I am getting at.

By the way I love all performance cars and have alot of time for all good cars/owners. So not slagging TTs or BMWs as they are good cars.
Just trying to make a point.

Best wishes
Steve

Old 20 December 2002, 06:56 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Wink

I do enjoy starting threads like this ?

I to like 911's, but I need a relaible car on a day to day basis that isn't gonns cost me a fortune when something goes wrong, hence why I buy a new Scoob and run it on the warranty.

The guy I work with has a 911 (Not the one that was with me last night) but it is 12 years old, mint condition but it costs him when anything minor (and I mean minor) goes wrong plus it takes an age to book it into a porka dealer and believe it or not porsche dealers work mon - fri 9-5 an no saturdays, no overtime.

I would love a 911 Turbo but to get one that isn't gonna cause me problems on a day to day basis is going to cost me more than buying a new Scoob.

The Scoob has awsome performance and all I was saying last night was a work mate couldn't belive how quick the car was compared to my other work mates 911 (Non Turbo 3.5 Flat 6)

Thanks to Saxo Boy for having some intelligence

If every thread was technical & boring would you ever come on here ??? Forum's have to have some light hearted debats as well

Any way have fun and a damn fine xmas scooby people!!!!!!

[Edited by Steve777 - 12/21/2002 1:16:50 PM]
Old 20 December 2002, 07:41 PM
loddrik2
Scooby Regular

I don't know who is more boring, the people who write these "my car kicked his car's ****", or me for actually taking the time to read them!
Old 21 December 2002, 12:32 PM
turbo bob
Scooby Regular

Wink

performance per pound,scoobs win even after modding

plus compare these:
porsche 996 carrera 4 1/4mile in 14.24 standard

scooby sti v3 1/4mile in 13.3 standard
Old 21 December 2002, 04:41 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I went to a local porsche clubs xmas meal the other night (mate has a classic 944) and they are a great bunch of guys. All sorts from older 924/944/928/968 to 911/993/996, funny no boxsters though . I didnt have one adverse comment about Subarus infact this is the second time I have been (first time trying to see if they wanted to set up a joint meet, which shoudl happen in the spring hopefully) and the first time they were all climbing over the scoob and were very impressed, 5 blokes wandering around it, fire up the scoobysport exhaust and suddenly 15 blokes now wandering around it .

My mate with the 944 still cant believe how well my scoob goes and corners in wet and damp conditions .

Mutual respect but they did try and talk me into a 993 .

Old 21 December 2002, 04:45 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

TBH the only porsche I dont like is the boxster, cheap 911 IMHO. I thought it was funny with the incidents on driven when the Boxster was up agianst the Tamora. .
Old 21 December 2002, 07:54 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Interesting, I far preferred the Boxter S I drove over either my mates 911 Carrera 2 or my old My 98 Impreza.

Carrera 2 is a bit slower than my MY98, probly quicker than a UK bugeye but it's on old car, hardly comparable to the later Porkers. They are like 20 years old

Boxter S just was a million times better than either, newer, handled a *lot* better, STI 5 ish performance but in a proper RWD chassis. You need to drive one to realise how much better they are.

Favourite porker for me though, value for money would be a 968 CS, not far of Impreza performance but far far superior handling - proper Front Engine, RWD (and rear Gearbox) layout. I drove it round Goodwood (have driven many times here) and it was sublime. Favourite handling road car I've ever driven.

Gary
Old 21 December 2002, 07:56 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

even in the wet ?

Quick Reply: Modded Scoob beats Porsche 911 again and again