ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The forgotten joy of a Scoob

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2002, 05:20 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Lot of negatives about the scoob over the last while. I love mine and here's why. Driving up from Glasgow today to my home in Fort William.
Usual traffic on the good bit of the A82 doing 60 - 70 on a nice big wide road. Then you hit the Loch Lomond bit after Tarbet. Still the A82 but more like a B road as narrow, incredibly twisty and hardly any straights( and they are short). All these people that are used to good or city traffic slam on the brakes and diddle round this road at 40 or less.
Suffice to say the scoob is one of the few cars that can get past on the short straights and make good time on the bends. Really enjoyed it although got a few flashing lights from people I passed. Annoys me really as I know the road well and am ready to pass on the straights and willing to go above 40. Amazing the mentality of people who spend their lives on motorway, good A roads or city traffic bit are terrified when they hit a road like the one above. For all who know this bit of road you know what I mean.
Anyway I'm happy with mine.
Alasdair
Old 13 December 2002, 05:25 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Amen brother. I am home to Plymouth for xmas and intend to spend a good proportion of it on Dartmoor
Old 13 December 2002, 05:32 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I loved that road too. Ahh the memmories..
Old 13 December 2002, 05:34 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Alasdair,

I know that part of the road after Trabert very well too and it's great fun in the Scoob. I usually leave the car in 3rd and just give it a good blast on the wee straight bits past any cars. Car makes a great noise through the trees and no gear changes, just all on/off throttle all the way - great stuff

Stefan
Old 13 December 2002, 05:35 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just my sort of roads, glad you enjoyed it mate

I know what you mean about the flashers! The flashers that get me are the oncomming ones that flash when your in their lane overtaking! Do they not see the scoop and recognise you're not going to be there long? This happened to me the other day as I overtook an MPV. I pulled out and floored it and then got comfortably past the MPV and pulled back in - time exposed to danger was very short as the car was flying. The Vectra coming the other way flashed as soon as I pulled out! I was back in my lane and had been for a reasonable time when he passed me giving me the bird Maybe I'm more relaxed than most but when its the other way around, even if I think 'this'll be close' I always trust the other driver correctly assessed my speed, the gap and his cars abilities and would only flash if it actually was going to be close. I usually, pick an escape route just in case they **** up though
Old 13 December 2002, 06:52 PM
Chris Barn
Scooby Regular

Arrrhhh the road from Glasgow to Fort william. Probably the best drive in my life was trying to make last orders in the Clachaigue, Glen Coe, driving a Seat Ibiza Cupra, torential rain, a slightly scared friend in the passenger seat, using the snow poles as a means marker for the bends, if I could see 3 poles keep the right foot planted, see two poles, lift off, down to one pole break like ****...

Made last orders with 1/2 hour to spare, not bad considering we drove up from Brum on a Friday night and had to pick my friend up from leeds on route. Never did take the scoobies to Scotland, but I know exactly what you mean about the road round Lock Lomand
Old 13 December 2002, 07:06 PM
Wilster at Work
Scooby Regular

Thats my favorite bit of road!! Never done it in the Scoob, but many times in other motors - long-wheelbase DAF 17 seater and my old Ford Focus. In snow/rain/bright sunshine - its fantastic if the weathers good you don't know where to look after Rannoch Moor. Also the bit between Ballachulish and Fort Bill is a fabulous bit of really fast twisty road.

I know what you mean about the flashers! The flashers that get me are the oncomming ones that flash when your in their....
You sure you're talking about LIGHTS ??
Old 13 December 2002, 07:12 PM
Nick Land
Scooby Newbie

Angry

I'm with you Alisdair. Self appointed bloody policemen. It's no wonder there's road rage.
Old 13 December 2002, 10:48 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Excellent route, and grippy even when wet, the tarmac is good and the relative lack of oil deposits helps too.

I ve noticed a lot of this flashing by people who you ve just overtaken in the last year or two - WTF? do they take it as a personal slight or something or is overtaking considered antisocial these PC days?
Old 13 December 2002, 11:12 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have extremely fond memories of that Journey. Shame I was in a hire 206 Still, the speed most Scotish drivers drive at, I was still overtaking everything in sight, just having to pick them off one at a time.

I vowed to go back in a real car

Matt
Old 14 December 2002, 03:12 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The speed most scottish drivers drive at??????
Thats so that we don't spill our drinks or make the Highland cow in the back fall over. Thats bovine not human
Alas
Old 14 December 2002, 04:14 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

I've never forgotten why I bought mine - any of them. Good thread!