Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Brother WILL stop you speeding

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2002, 04:09 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder what part of microwave emmision being a cause of CANCER did those idiots forgot? But if it brings in revanue for them..

edit~ assasinating this guy could save future generations. Its like killing Hitler before he killed some Jews..

[Edited by Katana - 12/2/2002 4:11:21 PM]
Old 12 February 2002, 07:27 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

I have been scouring through the DVLA website and came up with these...

2.2. There are other European initiatives that may well gather pace and impact within the near future, for example:

a possible third directive on driver licensing which could require process and system changes. The date of implementation is uncertain;
the discussions taking place in relation to the desirability and feasibility of moving to driver smart cards from the current photocard driving licenses and the introduction of an electronic driving licence;
the discussions initiated to explore the introduction of a smartcard vehicle registration document;
the establishment of standards for electronic vehicle identification (EVI), to enable the automated recognition of vehicles by electronic means, and discussions over the best means and infrastructure for using such technology to support congestion charging, road user charging and enforcement activities.
and

2.7. In addition there are a number of initiatives, reviews and consultations currently underway and pilots planned that may provide recommendations in the near future:

a joint DTLR, DVLA and Jill Dando Institute review of what changes can be made to the vehicle registration and licensing system to reduce vehicle crime;
a review of EVI potential and how this could be harnessed in entitlement enforcement and traffic management;
and

2.20. Vehicle technologies, for example EVI and Global Positioning Systems or microwave technology systems, are already well established as identification and tracking technologies. When these are linked to existing geographic and other databases, automated communications links, in-vehicle computer systems (monitoring speed, weight, critical systems, safety equipment and so on) roadside technology (the 'intelligent road') and implemented technology such as ANPR, then the applications potentially multiply.

** EVI = Electronic Vehicle Identification

Look here for the complete document

[Edited by 22BUK - 12/2/2002 7:30:18 PM]
Old 02 December 2002, 03:58 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

From The Daily Telegraph...

Electronic number plates, which will be "read" 24 hours a day by roadside microwave beacons and cameras, are to be introduced in 2004. By the end of 2007, the Government aims to have them on every road vehicle in Britain, writes Michael Kemp.

Each plate will have a microchip containing details of the vehicle's make, type, colour, engine, transmission, date and place of manufacture; its registered keeper; MoT status and insurance validity. False plates will automatically raise an alert through the police national computer in Hendon and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency in Swansea. Computers will be programmable to find any wanted vehicle. It will mean new number plates being fitted to more than 29.2 million vehicles.

The chips will cost about £1 each and a set of electronic number plates up to £35, or more if a one-off tax is applied to make motorists pay for the roadside "reading" infrastructure.

The DVLA, which drew up the plans, is proposing that "the whole system is financed by taxation". The electronic readers, planned to be on every road, will cost "an estimated average £1,000 each when purchased in quantity and placed on existing poles and gantries". A probable installation cost of about £100 million will be "dramatically reduced" by sharing existing infrastructure. Marked and unmarked police cars will also be fitted with the readers.

Electronic number plates will be fitted by new vehicle suppliers and MoT testing stations. From the start of 2003, all number plate producers will be registered by law, under the Crime Prevention Act, and plates supplied only on production of a vehicle registration document and proof of entitlement by the vehicle's keeper.

By December 2007, the DVLA aims to introduce drive-in, paperless automated relicensing, which will spell the end for windscreen-mounted tax discs.

The electronic plates have been developed by Birmingham-based Hills Number Plates, which makes 50 per cent of Britain's registration tags. A spokesman said: "Relicensing will be like buying a drive-in hamburger. You will not need to leave the wheel. Just hand over a credit card and the whole process will be done electronically." Cash is expected to be accepted.

"Front and rear microchip number plates are now fully developed at an extra cost of no more than £1 each to the motor trade. Normally a microchip costs about £5, but by ordering tens of millions we have negotiated a considerably lower price.

"Hills is working closely with the DVLA and expects the go-ahead for electronic number plates in 2004. Microchip readers will be on the Trafficmaster (driver traffic information) radio masts that cover the main road network, and certain camera sites."

By 2004, the DVLA aims to have merged driver, vehicle and insurance records into a "single or virtually single" database from which the number-plate microchips will be programmed. New regulations will compel motorists and dealers to inform the DVLA within one working week of vehicle ownership changes.
Old 02 December 2002, 04:02 PM
GuyM
Scooby Regular

Its good stuff and a good idea.

The only thing is that its more things to tax us on!!!
Old 02 December 2002, 04:03 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

For goodness sake and no one has thought of the plates being stolen and then used for a crime and identifying the wrong vehicle completely?
Old 02 December 2002, 04:03 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

i am sad to here that.

nice to here the govt is treating us all like adults as usual.

what a load of ****ing sh1te.

the primary function of this is to implement an even greater level of speeding "tax" you realise this?

i see the obvious benefits regards untaxed cars etc, but this is way over the top and we are going to pay for it...

weava
Old 02 December 2002, 04:06 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Weava - We paid for the installation of cameras that read the tax discs and now we will pay for the new system.

Still people will avoid the system... how easy to get hold of the chips and create fake plates?
Old 02 December 2002, 04:11 PM
ChrisB

Get on that soap box Katana!

There's such things as safe power outputs...
Old 02 December 2002, 04:12 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I presume that they will be able to measure your average speed over a whole week now then

"According to our records Mr Smith, you have on average been traveling at a speed of 55.22mph over an average area where the average speed should have been 49.34"

Not comfy with this at all. I'm old enough to buy one, insure one, and drive one. Why o why can they not let me get on with it

Mikey "NOT"
Old 02 December 2002, 04:25 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

What a joke, If this comes into force in this country, I'm outahere.

Were all sheep.
Old 02 December 2002, 04:27 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Anyone up for a group buy on number plate de-chipping, heh heh
Old 02 December 2002, 04:31 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

F**k this, I'm immigrating to tibbet. Gotta be better than this s****ole of a country.
Old 02 December 2002, 04:31 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
if it's anything like any other government project that requires high IT input, it will fail miserably in terms of security and acuracy.

Remember all the PR about smart cards and the government? That had to be sheleved when they discovered, using a simple optical device, you can decode any info from it you like.

These plates will be forgeable.

2004 is way too early to implement a project of this size, i would question the validity of this article.
Old 02 December 2002, 04:34 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

agree john - the wnkers could'nt hold a pi55 up in a brewery!

with new technology comes new fiddles, its only a matter of time after this is implemented that the under world will exploit it and innocents (like us! lol) will be accused of crimes we did not commit ( bit like the a-team)

weava
Old 02 December 2002, 04:53 PM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

like that will ever happen, everyone will moan about the tax, what governments going to get elected with ******* policys like that
Old 02 December 2002, 05:13 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Let's make sure that we're ready for this sort of thing with the approprate jamming equipment.

Oh, and play the RADHAZ card as well
Old 02 December 2002, 05:16 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hmm, if that ever gets through I will be surprised, but if it does, I am bloody emmigrating. Luckily I am marrying a foreigner! Not a problem if it is just there for monitoring tax evasion, but is its for speeding......
Old 02 December 2002, 05:21 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ecutek , we believe in you...!!
Old 02 December 2002, 05:22 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry mate, but Labour have been taxing everyone to death ever since they got in, and all they#ve managed to do is waste more money. They've thrown money at schools and the NHS, and nothing's changed.

Lovely example today. They've managed to get the french to agree to close the camp near the chanel tunnel by cleverly agreeing to give 1000 of the imigrants work permits, and to take some others that already have family here. Clever stuff eh?

Nett result of their first four years of gross incompetence?

Everyone votes them in again
Old 02 December 2002, 05:36 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree with johnf - new computer system projects include

NATS
Passport office
Anything else?

It will be 5 years late, triple the original budget, and still a horrific mess, whenever it happens.
Old 02 December 2002, 05:39 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

agree with john.

would like to see the origins of such an article.

It mentions nothing about speeding by the way!

I cant imagine it would be accurate enough to be able to measure speed with convictable accuracy, on top of this, with the new rules governing marking of speed cameras to enable police forces to keep any speeding revenue generated, I cant see them effectively employing such a system.

If it were not for use for speed, I actually think it would be a good idea. I also think it would be wise to computerise a combination of insurance and taxation as that would reduce the cost of manpower required to operate it (not that that would ever be passed on to us!).

I also like the idea of knowing that if my car is stolen, there is a free tracker system in place that can pinpoint it all over the country.

Big brother v increased security.

which will win.

there is no way the public will go for this, and labour will be straight out!

They arent attacking motorists to kill speeding they want revenue. Therefore any system that can remove revenue generated will not be popular. I have no problems with catching road tax evaders, that does cost the government and us money!

I couldnt see them using such an elaborate system at all, let alone for speeding, but if it removes dodgy unisured and stolen vehicles from the road, it can save us on insurance premiums!
Old 02 December 2002, 05:39 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

agree with john.

would like to see the origins of such an article.

It mentions nothing about speeding by the way!

I cant imagine it would be accurate enough to be able to measure speed with convictable accuracy, on top of this, with the new rules governing marking of speed cameras to enable police forces to keep any speeding revenue generated, I cant see them effectively employing such a system.

If it were not for use for speed, I actually think it would be a good idea. I also think it would be wise to computerise a combination of insurance and taxation as that would reduce the cost of manpower required to operate it (not that that would ever be passed on to us!).

I also like the idea of knowing that if my car is stolen, there is a free tracker system in place that can pinpoint it all over the country.

Big brother v increased security.

which will win.

there is no way the public will go for this, and labour will be straight out!

They arent attacking motorists to kill speeding they want revenue. Therefore any system that can remove revenue generated will not be popular. I have no problems with catching road tax evaders, that does cost the government and us money!

I couldnt see them using such an elaborate system at all, let alone for speeding, but if it removes dodgy unisured and stolen vehicles from the road, it can save us on insurance premiums!
Old 02 December 2002, 05:44 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Get on that soap box Katana!

There's such things as safe power outputs...
Tell that to the people thats been living near power stations thats developed cancer despite government's assurance that there was no link with it.

Anyway, if even mobile phones *may* give you a very slight chance of getting cancer, imagine being stuck in a jam full of these emitters. If the waves converges, the amplitude will definately get higher. We'll all then be starring in either the new X-men movie or Elephant man..
Old 02 December 2002, 07:24 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

So these may work for speeding but they will only be on major roads, now thats really clever, people will then drive steadily down the motorways & other major roads at the relavent speed limit. Then they will get their speed fix on the back roads, that will obviously reduce accidents I THINK NOT. Who the **** is running this country, where is the motorists lobby, why do we keep on accepting everything thrown at us. This country is going barmy, can you imagine what would happen if they tried to fill France with speed cameras as we have already got & then talked about something like this, It wont happen because the French would not let it.
Old 02 December 2002, 11:18 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Angry

The robbing labour b$$tards.

It's all a load of bo44ocks, just to get more Fecking money out of us yet again why the **** do we have to put up with it, bloody labour to$$ers at it again I suppose, lets think of a way to fleece the motorist some more, oh lets make out it's a good crime reduction campaign "like ****" what's the point when Johnny scumbag has more rights than us, if they do get caught all they get is he's had a bad upbringing ahh and let off "tough sh£t" I don't care lock the ******* up for a few years,oh no they let him lose off he goes again. Shoot the ******* or cut their hands off, that’s all they deserve the thieving scum.

Huxley [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Now off my soap box for now
Old 02 December 2002, 11:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

And you want me to go out for a Xmas drink with you in THAT mood!!

I will fear for my safety - I mean, I will only have to mention how I agree with this and you will be marching me into the car park!

Pete
Old 02 December 2002, 11:32 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular