Sponsored by:

Attempted theft of my scoob!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2002, 08:44 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coincidence or planned???

Right, I lock my scoob away every night in the garage and park the Fiesta in front of the garage door so there is no chance it's going walkies!!!

Saturday morning I take my car out of the garage to get an old washing machine and fridge out. Spend all Saturday pottering about Xmas shopping etc and I was working Midnight to 6am Sunday so I forgot to put the scoob back into the garage.

Tiredly working away in Stockport at 1:45am when my missus rang me to say there were 2 men sitting in a silver/grey saloon outside and one tall lad trying to get into my car.

Now I was working 50 miles away and my missus was in on her own, talk about feeling useless. My missus crept downstairs and put the chain on the front door and as she did it he was feeling through the letterbox looking for the keys. When she got upstairs to ring the police they had gone.

The police came out and checked the car etc, no damage - none whatsoever.

So they obviously didn't want to do the car any damage by just bricking the window etc so it wasn't joyriders so they must have wanted it for a job or something.

One thing thats starting to bug me is how they knew my car was there and this was the only time ever I had to work overnight!! They either:-

a) Got very lucky and just happened to stumble upon it that night (first night its been left out of the garage)

b) Knew it was there all along and been waiting for the right opportunity

I find (a) hard to beleive as we live in a small cul-de-sac with no thorugh traffic and only a few houses.

Also my missus says they drove into the close fast, stopped and reversed out and positioned the car to face the exit ready to go.

At the end of the day I'm glad they didn't try to enter the house for the keys, my missus is okay and they didn't do any damage to the car but the thought that someone may have been watching and waiting is a bit scary.

Makes you wonder sometimes if it's worth getting rid and getting a car that doesn't attract the scumbags attention.

Paul

[Edited by Hanley - 12/2/2002 8:44:45 AM]
Old 12 February 2002, 09:25 AM
ice man
Scooby Regular

Get a rotty mate like I have, any one even thinks of putting there fingers through my letter box would instantly become pet food.

[Edited by ice man - 12/2/2002 9:29:16 AM]
Old 02 December 2002, 08:51 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nightmare mate Glad it all turned out fine. I hope it's just a one off attemted theft.
Old 02 December 2002, 08:59 AM
m18use
Scooby Regular

oh mygod what a nightmare for you,should have got the wife
to cut his fingers off when he was fumbling about in
the letterbox.
Old 02 December 2002, 09:02 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I guess the best thing you can do is make sure it's always in the garage when not in use, alarm the garage and the house, make sure the front door is strong, and have a PIR activated light on the front linked to a security camera/video system. Perhaps also invest in a good alarm, Tracker and a Blackjax?

Not a lot more you can do than that!!!

Matt
Old 02 December 2002, 09:03 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

rofl m18use
Old 02 December 2002, 09:03 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

now i feel paranoid Matt!
Old 02 December 2002, 09:04 AM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

hanley, people die crossing the road. wud it stop u from crossin the road ? dont think so.

in the grand scale of things, a scoob isnt the fastest car out there these days. try not to let it worry yer.
Old 02 December 2002, 09:18 AM
scooby_xt_turbo
Scooby Regular

Where the F*CK is this world going to? DO THEY EVER STOP??
What's wrong with the world? You can't do anything without worrying! It's frustrating. Thank God your missus and your car is OK.
Old 02 December 2002, 09:19 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

To be on the safe side I'd step up you security around the house for the next few weeks to be sure they don't come back and try and get the keys from the house. Check doors, windows, etc are locked and sleep with a phone by the bed and if you feel like being a hero a baseball bat too. That said, if someone does get into your house your best bet is to make them a cup of tea chuck them your keys and tell them to enjoy your car...you don't want to upset nutters like that
Old 02 December 2002, 09:28 AM
Luke
BANNED

Fit a letterbox guard to your door. You know mesh type thing that will stop them from doing this but will allow your post to get through..
Old 02 December 2002, 09:33 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

We are thinking of getting motion detecting cctv cameras.

At first you think you don't need to go that far but the world's turning into an awful place.

I work my **** off so I can afford to have my car and some ****head thinks he can come along and help himself!!!

If they were to break into the house though I'd just hand over the keys and hope that they'll be content enough with just taking the car, there are more important things in my life than my car.

Still want to smash his f**** head in though but its not worth it!!
Old 02 December 2002, 11:15 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

I caught a car outside my house a few weeks ago with the engine running , it was 3.30am. Fortunately I needed a slash and must have disturbed them when I put the bog light on. When I opened the window and stuck my head out the car was driving off with the passenger door open and some young fool ran along side and jumped in! So forget your fancy security systems - Simply leave your Sh*tHouse light on!!

I always put my keys in a place where they cannot be fished through the letterbox however if they broke in and opened nearby drawers they would find them. I dont put them next to my bedside cabinet as I wouldnt want anyone coming up the stairs (wife and baby to think about). Bottom line is that if someone is prepared to physically break into your house to steal your car keys then they are highly likely go to any lengths to find them!

Old 02 December 2002, 11:18 AM
ice man
Scooby Regular

As I said get a rotty, yeah they may go to great lengths to get your keys but who really wants to have there arm riped off by a bloody great big dog just to steel a car.
Old 02 December 2002, 11:26 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Wink

Agree with russ 100%.

This happened to me last June- they got in to the house at 4am by hooking the house keys from the stairs (23 feet away!) and letting themselves in.

Helped themselves to every set of keys in the kitchen, plus my briefcase and a few other choice bits, and nicked both the scoob and my pride and joy 540.

BMW has never been seen again, Scoob turned up in Wavetree undamaged and with more fuel in it than when stolen.

I still leave the keys downstairs ~ they can't see them from the doors / windows, but if they get in they won't have to bother coming upstairs as they can have the car with my pleasure. Scoob is locked in the garage, and I covered the windows so they'd actually have to break in to find out if its there or not. I always get the doors opened as I'm on the way home so I can drive straight in, a la bat cave!

Rather that than they hurt the kids. Suppose I could throw the wife at them though to slow them down

simon
Old 02 December 2002, 01:24 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

sad sad world,but till there is some kind of deterant this will never stop,the rewards are high for these people,who will stop at nothing!!!as with most things the law needs changing,you do your best with cars like these,alarms,garaging etc but if someone wants it they will find a way ask yourselves why???easy money and if they do get caught there is no punishment anyway!!!!crazy world.what gets me with this thread is that the whilst your busy working??!?!?!?some scumbag just plans to help themselves....nearly always the case you work hard to own a car you want and some one else ruins it either just plain old ,greed,spite,or in my opinion just plain old lack of respect....glad your ok...hope they stay away!...jase...
Old 02 December 2002, 01:50 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I can understand some of the comments here about "if they break in then they are welcome to the car" especially with wife and kids - of course they have to come first.

However, I find the increasing attitude of "let them have it if they want it that bad" attitude that is becoming the norm rather worrying, because doesn't it actually reassure the would-be criminal that he is not going to meet resistance whilst breaking into an occupied house?

For that reason I feel it is equally important for those owners who are willing to have a go to speak up so that the people who are comitting these crimes are aware that stealing other peoples property is not becoming as easy as they have been lead to believe.

To that end I have to say that i would resist anyone breaking into my house as hard as I could, not only because of the value of the goods at stake, but because I am doing what I believe is right, and I am reducing (however minimally) the chance that he will do it to someone else thereafter.

So, to the would be thief of my possesions:- I take all of the security precautions listed above in this thread, you will not find my keys in my hallway. I am amply (more than amply) armed and it is very likely that if you broke into my home to steal my possessions you would come to harm.

There.
Old 02 December 2002, 01:52 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The problem is, if your Rottie goes for a burglar, he'll call claims direct. He'll get a safari holiday in Kenya to help him to reintegrate into society and you'll get a hefty fine or jail time for owning a dangerous dog, as well as your house insurance paying out a nice lump sum for damages.

The only solution: kill them and make sure they never find the body. Seriously.
Old 02 December 2002, 01:54 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

lol @ notorious rev
weava
Old 02 December 2002, 01:54 PM
ice man
Scooby Regular

lol very good point
Old 02 December 2002, 02:04 PM
Luke
BANNED

"The only solution: kill them and make sure they never find the body. Seriously. "

Very true indeed. If you get very heavy with nutters .You will start a situation that will be
more than dangerous...

1. Catch one of the scum and the rest will get mad if he is not returned or goes missing..
2. Witnesses..always a problem.
3. So how do you do it???

I am looking forward to a" Set up" all filmed..Showing the scum being burned alive after a good torture session. It would makes loads of money!!
Old 02 December 2002, 03:25 PM
yoza
BANNED

Talking

Paul,
YHM.......
Old 02 December 2002, 03:31 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

^ now there's a man I reckon knows how to hide a body
Old 02 December 2002, 04:12 PM
pcdude
Scooby Regular

as a new scoob owner. the theft of my new scoob is alittle worry , i got a garage but they can easily be opened , i got a cat 1 alarm also and gunna put a disclok on it , but it still worries me to think some B***D would like to get his grubby little hands on my pride and joy , i am also going to alarm my garage , which is at the back of the house and down a 100 meter private lane , in a cul-de-sac ,, so i hope its out of site out of mind ,,, but nothing is completey safe now-a-days is it ,
Old 02 December 2002, 04:20 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

forgot to add that they caught the little tawt that stole the cars; they left fingerprints all over the letterbox and lounge window

having said that, they seem to learn more tricks in the big house.