Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hit by unregistered driver - what to do? :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2002, 01:00 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm never knew about that bit. I was told a few years back that it was a futile excercise.

edit: check out the "Was it you?" forum. Are you in summertown?

[Edited by Katana - 12/1/2002 1:00:46 AM]
Old 12 January 2002, 08:57 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

The car was a Mk-2 VW Golf, and was red or red-orange (viewed under sodium street lights unfortunately). Plate number is either E820 JWK or E820 JKW.

Driver was white male aged around 30 to 35, about 5-ft 6 in, thin and had short cropped blond/brown hair. Was wearing a black jacket and blue jeans.

Other vehicle occupants - wife/girlfriend in the car and a kid in the back seat. Girl was blonde and younger than the driver. Didn't get sight of the kid(s).

Accident happened in Basingstoke between Worting and town centre (just off the roundabout where the Fire Station and Cinema/Ice Rink are) about 18:10 last night.

[Edited by Fatman - 12/1/2002 8:59:17 AM]
Old 01 December 2002, 12:44 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

My Scoob was rear-ended this evening. I was stationary at traffic lights and another car skidded and went into the back of mine. No injuries, but I didn't get any details (name, insurance, address etc.) - whilst he was moving his car "to get it off the road" he drove off. I was on the phone to the Police at the time, so they have the description of vehicle and reg plate.

Turns out it's not registered. So, I'm assuming it's not insured either. The Police knew the general direction he headed (from me!), but who knows if they'll find the b@$t@rd!

The damage to the car seems to be minimal (some scuff marks, a small hole in the rear bumper) - but I haven't had a good look over yet - will wait for daylight.

What recourse do I have? Perhaps the cost of repair will be light, but I've no 3rd-party details to claim from. I'm sure I remember reading some where on S/Net about an insurance-industry pool/fund of money that those in this situation could claim off. Do I remember correctly?

I visited the Police station, gave details and have an accident form to fill in (RTA reference number supplied already). Anyone up for a game of spot the car - in/around Basingstoke?
Old 01 December 2002, 12:57 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I feel sorry for you mate. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it unless you want to claim from your own insurance. What was the reg number that he used?(since its fake anyway)
Old 01 December 2002, 12:58 AM
Vanker
Scooby Regular

Yes there is a claim pool that covers accidents where 3rd party is an uninsured loser. I had a similar incident a while back that involed a 3 car shunt. The guy that hit the car behind me was uninsured. I was fully comp so got the car fixed straight away & then got 1700 squid from the pool about six month later.

Good luck
Old 01 December 2002, 10:14 AM
bigJoe
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hey Fatman

Sorry to hear about ur misfortune, but there aint much you can do.
Same thing happened to me in Feb.

Check out mib.org.uk for the bad news!

Basically if it's damage to property they need to trace the other driver................
Old 07 December 2002, 05:33 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

According to my insurance firm (unofficially - just the girl's background knowledge) - the MIB will only help out those who only have TP/TPFT insurance. i.e. specifically not those with Fully Comp cover? Why's that? That means I'm paying for the privilege of paying for the repair myself! If I had TP cover only - then the MIB may be able to help. Sounds a little screwy to me. Hopefully the insurance girl wasn't correct. We'll see... the MIB office opens again on Monday.
Old 07 December 2002, 05:51 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
You'll be glad to hear she could be wrong!
I'm in the process of receiving money from the MIB due to a road rage crash last July with a car that was actaully registered as another (I don't half pick them) and I have fully comp insurance. Unfortunately I still have to bear the strike on my ncb due to the amount of damage sustained, it had to go through insurance.
Old 07 December 2002, 06:30 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MIB does payout but takes time,in my case it took 14 months.

If youve got claims cover(which you should have on full comp)they will sort it all out for you.
Old 07 December 2002, 07:46 PM
JohnnyRob
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem, only that the guy did stop - gave me his name and phone number, but I later found out he wasn't insured - he ended up in prison (for a greater offence!) and thus the police wouldn't do anything with it!!!!

Luckily I had uninsured loss recovery with 'Cutts Shiers' who eventually caught up with him and got us uncontested injury payouts!

However, in the meantime I lost my no claims (I was unprotected - doooh!) even though I had independant witness' who said it wasn't my fault!!

Good luck

John
Old 07 December 2002, 08:12 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure I have legal cover - damned sure I would have asked to include that. I have a Green-Light policy, anyone here know what there standard "package" is?