ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Servicing and warranty after 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2002, 06:52 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My MY00 is approaching its 3rd birthday and the end of its original Subaru warranty. I'm trying to decide on what the best thing to do is regarding servicing it from now on, and would appreciate any help choosing between the following options:

Option 1: Continue to use a franchised dealer. Looks good on the service history, so possibly a good thing when I come to sell the car, but obviously expensive.

Option 2: As above, plus pay the extra to have the warranty extended. Even more expensive, unless some major component fails and is replaced under warranty. I've heard horror stories about clutches and gearboxes dying prematurely, so maybe this option would pay for itself?

Option 3: Get the 3 yr/45k and subsequent services done at Power Engineering, stuff the warranty and save a few quid. Certainly the cheapest option, and I'm not really bothered about what the stamp in the service book says. I don't doubt that PE can do just as good a job as a franchised dealer (and probably better!).

I'm leaning toward option 3, given that resale values are pitiful and so I'm not likely to change the car for a while. A little under-bonnet tweaking to release a few more horsepower might be on the cards too in that case

Suggestions please anyone?

Ta
Andy.
Old 30 November 2002, 07:49 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy
I have an MY00, third birthday in April 03. I am leaning towards option 1+2.
Reason being any mods that have been done to the car do not affect the warranty.
BTW do Subaru inform you that your warranty is about to expire or do you have to notify them???
Cheers Nige..
Old 30 November 2002, 08:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be at this point in May03 - struggling to decide too!!

I could handle the minor services myself - saving £130 a year. Majors could be done at a Subaru dealer and stamped in the book.

Its a risk isnt it?? What you are doing is covering the car under a warranty - it has a cost, which would appear cheap if the engine blew up. BUT its VERY expensive if NOTHING at all goes wrong!!

So, punk, do ya feel lucky? I suppose that is the question?

Pete
Old 30 November 2002, 10:02 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Talking

Put the cost of a warranty in the bank. If you have something go wrong you use the dosh and cut the cost. If you get lucky you get to keep your money back.

You could also have it serviced at an independent specalist to cut costs. Scoobysport services would mean the same to me as a Subaru franchise
Old 30 November 2002, 10:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

This is the problem - if you are UNLUCKY you could be facing thousands!!

Pete
Old 30 November 2002, 10:18 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Its all a gamble isnt it? You may have seen my thread on this very topic. My 3 year warranty (1 year standard extended to 3 years as a dutch import) runs out Sept 2003. For approx £400 I am willing to extend my warranty for another 2 years. At the end of the day its piece of mind that if anything major goes wrong its covered. If the warranty cost a lot more then I might think twice but I think £400ish is very reasonable and will be extending when the time comes (assuming I still have a job and therefore the car ).

Simon.
Old 30 November 2002, 10:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

£400 for 2 extra years seems a fair offer - may just have one of those when the time comes, its quite a bit MORE than my car insurance however so it will hurt a little

Pete
Old 30 November 2002, 10:25 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Question

Simon,

£400 quid sounds like good value. Who's it with?

[Edited by Nigel H - 11/30/2002 10:26:02 PM]
Old 01 December 2002, 02:10 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Im not sure on the exact price but when I asked about 2 year extended warranties with Subaru people on here said they had paid £400-£450.

Simon
Old 01 December 2002, 02:12 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Ah here is the thread which lists all the prices:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=152609

Simon.
Old 01 December 2002, 10:07 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks Simon, that's v. helpful.

Given that I'm likely to hit 60,000 miles in about a year, it looks as though I'd need the 'unlimited miles' option for over £600, which seems a lot.

As with any insurance policy, the total of everyone's premiums has to be more than the total payout, otherwise the insurance company would go straight out of business. To me, that makes it a bet that's loaded against me. I think Subaru have had enough of my money already!

Thinking out loud for a minute: over the last 3 years I've had, under warranty:

- one respray for stone chip damage
- alarm bracket
- interior light switch
- dashboard trim reattached

Faults still to be checked out:

- rust spot under boot lid, where the rubber button near the hinge is wearing through the paint
- clutch pedal has a slight 'click' at the top of its travel, which is only slightly annoying but which I gather may be more serious than it sounds

I know some of these are common problems - are there any others that a MY00 is likely to develop during years 4 and 5?

Ta
Andy.