Driving standards really falling?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2002, 07:53 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Personally I think yes, big time.

However from some of the posts on here I think its often the "good" drivers who are failing more than the "poor" (i.e. read granny, girly, old bloke) drivers.

I undertake because the bloke in front wont move out of the way... so now your teaching him to undertake then?

I drive as fast as I need to, to get enjoyment from the scoob..... driving without due care and attention IMHO

If ever anyone was trying to justify the current regime of reducing limits, more cameras etc etc this is exactly the type of ammunition they need.

IMHO the road users who understand what makes a good safe driver should be acting as examples, not resorting to the same poor standards that are becoming generally accepted.

Discuss

robski
Old 27 November 2002, 08:28 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I think people tend to over exagerate in threads as well though, or put their point across badly. From some of my recent replies to threads, I may come accross as a loon on the road.

Far from it though, I make progress when conditions allow, but most of the time try to drive as safely as possible. I used to be a complete loon, but as you get older you start to realise the dangers.

Still doesnt excuse the hypocrits though, or the "that is illegal/not allowed" brigade.

One thing i have started doing is trying to set an example - i.e. when finished overtaking on the motorway I pull in. If there is someone in front of me who is refusing to move over, then I just continue to overtake cars, and pull back in to the left lane making sure they see me.

Doesnt seem to do any good though
Old 27 November 2002, 08:40 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Thats 2 days in a row that i've driven into Bradford on the same road. Both times the car i was behind failed to indicate on 5 consecutive corners. The guy who did it yesterday pi55ed me off. I was just too shocked at seeing the same thing today to be annoyed.

I'm noticing more and more that it's the drivers of normal everyday cars that are the biggest culprits. Very rarely do i see a 'performance' car driven by an enthusiast being driven badly. Fair enough we may drive with enthusiasm where conditions allow but at least we know where the indicator stalks are.

edited to add : don't get me started on company car drivers sitting too close on the motorway.

[Edited by marty_t3 - 11/27/2002 8:46:52 PM]
Old 27 November 2002, 08:52 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Robski - aren't all Saab drivers put on Earth to show the rest? :-)

Marty - you should try Oxford, inverse indication if at all!

:-)

Mike
Old 27 November 2002, 09:38 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Get used to it - irrespective of any "safety" measures, it WILL get worse ..

Why, because our roads are now infested with too many 24/7 highly pressurised commercially motivated drivers chasing money. Ever bigger commercials, ever bigger mobile wharehouses, ever bigger White Van Man Vans, ever bigger Personal People Carriers, usually only with their drivers; then mix that lot with Rep-man always on phone having ear chewed off by boss for not arrived already, not clinched that deal already, why sales figs down this week, just been dumped by partner etc etc et etc ... and yes you have a receipe for falling driving standards.

It's worth repeating .... it WILL get worse ..... you aint seen nothing yet ....

I do hope circumstances prove me wrong .... but dont hold your breath ...
Old 27 November 2002, 09:46 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

no i dont think so i just think that there are so many cars on the road now that mistakes show up more
Old 27 November 2002, 10:09 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

robski, in most cases undertaking shows the people what a flippin ***** they've been and surprise surprise they often move into the left lane once they've had someone go out of their way to get past.
Old 27 November 2002, 10:23 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

The present situation with driver education is riduculous, Most people pay NO attention. Every single day I see folk doing stupid stuff.......
kids on mopeds with Zero Idea of what is going on, mums paying too much attention to the unrestrained kids in the backseat.......
People using filter lanes as if they are optional.....
using left turn only lanes at roundabouts as their god given personal 'cut two mins off rush hour lane'......
undertaking
......no indication.........
no lights in the dark or driving rain.......

no brake lights the list goes on and on.

What does the government do!!!!!! .........'SPEED KILLS' wise up and do something about driver education and attitude.
Old 28 November 2002, 12:18 AM
cjones944
Scooby Regular

This is what TPTB should do:

1. Introduce compulsory retests for all drivers every 3 years.
2. Introduce compulsory medical and eye tests for all drivers every year.
3. Abolish IPT for advanced drivers.
4. Give police officers the power to issue FPN's for offences like Careless Driving.
5. Give police powers to impound and crush cars that are not fir to be on the road. (No, I don't mean a minor MOT failure, but a major defect)
6. Introduce variable speed limits.
7. Introduce a jay-walking offence.

The net result would be, IMHO, a more balanced system.

Discuss.
Old 28 November 2002, 12:31 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Talking

Agree, but think it is too open to abuse.
Crushing a car is, perhaps a little strong, but I agree with the sentiment. I'd just be afraid that some jobsworth copper would have my scoob cubed becuase I had a tail light out.

(NOTE I do not think all coppers are jobsworths)
(Note: I said Scoob Cubed. This is an indication I may need help)

I profess to be a very bad driver. In all seriousness, on my worse days, I really wonder if I should have my license at all (and yes, I have considered having it revoked). I think 3 year retesting is a very very very good idea.

(NOTE: I am actually an ok(ish) driver, but when my blood sugar level gets low my ability to judge distance goes with it. )