Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2002, 10:31 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you please leave this in here until I get a decent answer.

I phoned round loads of insurance companies last week to get the best quote. I phoned Privelage and the girl gave me a quote for £568. This quote was £300 cheaper than any other company I had phoned. I could not believe the price and made the girl check two or three times she had got the right car and it was a turbo. The insurance details came through today and as I checked the details I saw they had insured me as having a GL.
I phoned the company tonight and the guy I spoke to told me it was a fault on their system and they would wave the £200 that it would cost to change it for a turbo. However the guy said this policy required an tracker to be fitted and I would need to get this fitted on the next few days.
As you can imagine I am a bit annoyed about this, I have already payed the deposit and the insurance has started.

Do Privilage have any legal commitment to supply me with insurance even though I won't pay to get a tracker fitted?
Will it be a case of good will if they honor the insurance?
Old 26 November 2002, 10:38 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

the insurance will most likely be valid for everything but theft .

How long ago did you start it? You can cancel for free within 7 days.

If longer you need to way up the costs of:
a) cancelling (probably get charged current + advance month) and changing (higher policy price)
b) installing a tracker (£500odd outset + £99/yr i think)
c) ignore it, not let your car out of your sight and always being worried about it getting stolen.

Andy
Old 26 November 2002, 10:42 PM
Scooby Regular

The GISC (General Insurance Standards Council) rules state you've got a 14 day cooling off period.

If you cancel within this time you are entitled to a full refund.

Any problems, quote the above.
Old 26 November 2002, 10:44 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

The insurance only started on Saturday. Why should I have to mess about, cancle my policy and ring round for a new one when they screwed up.
Old 26 November 2002, 10:51 PM
Colin P
Scooby Regular

Had loads of hassle with Privelage, Cancel while you still can!!
I found Tesco best, but still requires a tracker though.....
Old 27 November 2002, 06:16 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Have you tried Liverpool Victoria? They can be funny about your age and it seems some Scooby models, but I believe worth a try. No tracker required!

Kev
Old 27 November 2002, 06:43 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Barclays direct, No tracker required,
Old 27 November 2002, 07:31 AM
melon
Scooby Regular

mmmmm sounds a bit worrying, I'm surprised it printed off the details as a GL but the computer was showing the salesperson a Turbo on screen when quoting!
I'd ring round a few more within the 14 days and tell em where to stick it.
I'm with Liverpool Victoria and they were the cheapest by far but as stated I know some people don't seem to get such competitive quotes? but for me they're excellent, fast friendly and helpful with good cover.

cheers...melon
Old 27 November 2002, 07:48 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Ditto with kev and melon Liverpool Victoria

even insured my house with em !

They came in at £350 cheaper than privilage and I had been with them for about 4-5 years !

Dave.
Old 27 November 2002, 08:22 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

i got the best quote from egg whilst ringing round a number of companies i'd seen on here & i rang them a few times just to check they had all details correct. However when i rang 3rd time @ about 19:30 or sumin the day b4 my policy ran out i was then told ooooh this hasn't got any mods [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] fekin retards they got told where 2 go & ended up with Liverpool victoria as they luved (OK slight exaggeration) all my mods
Si
PS sadly now i'm getting greedy & woz looking at idea of type R STi thingamy they wont do me on imports so looks like i shall wait 11 months till i step up in the world (or alternatively let hunger get better of me & take a bite out the previously mentionned downsides of cancelling policy mid term
Old 27 November 2002, 08:52 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ok they screwed up - they have at least waved the difference in cost.

Having a tracker isn't such a bad idea anyway - regardless. Most insurance companies do require one now and you can be fairly sure that within a couple of years, all insurance companies will require you to have one fitted.

Goto RAC Trackstar - you can have one fitted for £78 deposit and then £23 a month interest free over three years. You can even include full breakdown cover for another £8 a month.

As long as they are happy to insure at the quoted price, I reckon you've got a bargin! I would be reluctant to change.

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 11/27/2002 8:53:41 AM]
Old 27 November 2002, 08:56 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Thumbs up

Good advice Chris

[Edited by P20SPD - 11/27/2002 8:56:59 AM]
Old 27 November 2002, 08:59 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'd agree stick with it most places will require a tracker & if their willing 2 match the quote then u can't complain (too much) i no RAC trackster is good but that wood pain me paying a total of around £900 i prefer paying in 1 lump sum if it's cheaper like (& it certianly wood b if u were doing tracker etc), but i guess it depends on wot set up u want & how much bling bling u got
SI

[Edited by scooby_si - 11/27/2002 9:00:06 AM]
Old 27 November 2002, 12:32 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Got to with Chris on this. Tracker is certainly worth its money and gives you a solid piece of mind especially with the current threat of car-jacking etc.

The insurance company have offered as goodwill to discount the £200.00. This is purely discretionary and I'd want to make sure I got this in writing. They pull out all the stops when you come to claim.

One other point to consider. Chances are they're not going to make the same mistake twice come renewal next year so expect a hike in your premium. Might as well ring round now and find a decent quote that you know is right. Greenlight certainly worked for me!!

Doesnt sound like your happy with Priv. at the moment so the hassle of cancelling your policy and ringing round might just be worth it.
Old 27 November 2002, 01:49 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I have just written a letter to the customer liaison officer. I will see what they have to say. I am coming round to the idea of installing a tracker and staying with them this year on the discount.

Cheers

Jer
Old 27 November 2002, 03:19 PM
V-techland
Scooby Regular

Yep my housemate (aka Chubbz UK my00) had this, he phoned for his quote, and they ran everything through fine, and for good money...........................then after the car had been purchased and the tthreat of a hefty deposit loss the company (as with you Privilage!), dramatically needed a tracker! and with preference to the more expensive mode (£425-500).

I can asure you that he was about as pleased as you 2 hear about this, and it subsequently put off getting his Blitz nur spec + HKS downpipe............................but he's got them now (sounds awesome!)

I will say this though and that is Privilage are excellent for moddifying policy changes, and rarely increase your premium! maybe worth it in the long run.......................and lets face it the Tracker can only add value.