Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have a cricket living in my scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2002, 11:29 PM
Draw1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've not had my scooby long but i have a noise when i drive that sounds like a cricket. Its definatly inside the car but I dont know where. Anybody else have a similar problem?
Old 25 November 2002, 12:57 PM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hope there's not a real cricket in there! I had a mouse in mine, and it was bad enough:

I have a pet corn snake at home.
I feed it mice (preferably live ones).
Friday afternoon I had a few errands to run, and decided to pick up a snack pack for the snake whilst I was in the area.
I ordered ten weener mice...and told the guy to double bag them, as last time one of the gnawed through the brown paper bag, and I had to hunt for it in my boot...

Well, he double bagged them, and we (the mice and I) were off...I put the two (double bagged) bags of mice in the passenger footwell (so I could check up on the little *******s)...and good thing too! As I pulled up in front of my garage, I saw one of the mice making final escape preparations - it had eaten through both bags...I stopped this attempt just in time, and "marked" the guilty party as one of the lucky duo that would enter the snake's cage alive...

OK...got to the cage...popped in two mice...started euthanasia procedures on the rest...oh, crap! Only 7 left! Should have been 8...euthanise them all, pop them into freezer (wife doesn't appreciate this)...

Went outside to car...saw one very cute looking white mouse sitting in passenger footwell...its nose all twitchy, cuty pie! So, I open the passenger door, reach down for it...gone! It ran under the passenger seat! So, I get down on my hands and knees, in the warm afternoon sun...aha, it's behind the seat, under the winscreen sun-shade thingy that I keep there...decide oh, well, you wanted it this way, you little pest...

I quietly open the rear door...and slam down on the sunshade...it gives me great pleasure to lift up the shade...fully expecting to find a nice flat weener-mouse sandwich...nothing! It got away! Smarter than I thought!

It's not under the seat any longer...I close all the doors (want to make sure it stays in the car - no use searching for something that got away hours ago...)...I start a thorough search...half an hout later I spot it! In the passenger footwell, right on top of the top edge of the carpet covering the ECU etc housing...I sneak up on it...I actually manage to touch its tail before it disappears behind the carpet! It is heading straight for the ECU! With all the wiring! And this is one chewy mouse!

Out comes the toolbox...up goes the side sill...out goes the carpet...and off goes the ECU cover...nothing! Go get the maglite...crawl around for ages...find nothing...it has disappeared!

Decide, screw that...I have a few options...
1. Fumigate the car
2. Leave car in sun, so mouse can bake to death
3. Put cat in car
4. Put snake in car
5. Leave food and drink in car to keep mouse away from seat covers, wiring, boost-gauge hose, etc etc etc...for the rest of its life
6. Use 300 year old technology...mouse traps!

I choose (6)...
1 and 2 would have worked, and given immense satisfaction...but the smell would not have been worth it...How do you find a missing, rotting mouse in a car?
3 and 4 would have had their own problems
5 would have been the safe way...

But using (6), there was always a chance that I could get the little ******* in a semi conscious state...so I park the car in the garage and set to work.

We had 2 small mouse traps, so I loaded them with bread, put one behind passenger seat, and one in front...

Checked them a few hours later (by now it's about 8 pm)...there was Stuart Little chewing away at a piece of bread...next to the one trap! He had stolen it off the trap!

Frustration sets in...I jerk open the back door, and lurch for Stuart...the trap caught me on my pinkie...f#$%!!!!!!!!

Stuart is gone again! I check beneath the seat...mmm, that's funny! Two squarish plastic pipes down there...the aircon system! The mouse was in the aircon ducting all along! Ha! I load the trap again...set it to ultra sensitive...and place it right infront of the pipe openings...

I check the traps at about 10 pm...still nothing, but the bread is still there...I go to sleep a troubled man...

First thing next morning I'm out to check the traps...Front one, nothing...Aircon outlet ones...you little beauty! I am the master of my universe! No mouse messes with me!
Little mister stuart little is being turned into snake **** as we speak...
Old 25 November 2002, 01:30 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Laughed my **** off at that one!

Just wait til he animal huggers find this thread

I think there was a post about the chirping noise in Drivetrain a while back. I have it in mine at rolling speed. I can't remember what the exact cause was but might have been the alarm bracket or something

MB
Old 25 November 2002, 01:40 PM
sexy-blue-scoob
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'll lend you a lizard - that'll eat the cricket.

Bob the Bearded Dragon - will only be too happy to help.
Old 25 November 2002, 01:47 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I get a VERY anoying schreeching type noise from the compressor when the weather is cold and damp "every morning"! Eventually goes away when the engine gets hot but is really *****ng me off!
Any suggestions?

Old 25 November 2002, 03:32 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I have a chirping noise too, It seems to come from behind the dashboard. I can make it happen by pulling the streering whell up & down. Could be the radio installation rubbing on something.

G.
Old 25 November 2002, 06:26 PM
naturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got a flock of seagulls

The rubber (plastic?) grommet for the clutch pedal spring needs changing
Old 25 November 2002, 07:16 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular