Sponsored by:

Plonker Of The Day Award...

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2001, 12:09 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Puff must be talking b*ll***s. After all what sensible driver is going to do something as stupid as that.

What car was he driving again?

Edited after Tim_p's comments.

Sorry mate could n't resist.

ps - Had one myself (Astra that is ) car before last)

[This message has been edited by MattW (edited 10 October 2001).]
Old 10 October 2001, 12:29 AM
Tim_P
Scooby Regular

Easy.
Old 10 October 2001, 12:53 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Was there not a thread a month or so ago ( shortly after 11th September ) where somebody ( i.e. YOU PTMW ) admitted to driving aggressively / badly because they had had a bad day.

What's the difference?

And as for brake testing him.

[This message has been edited by Neil Micklethwaite (edited 10 October 2001).]
Old 10 October 2001, 11:46 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs down

Goes to...

Bloke in the T reg blue Astra that was following me down the A11 yacking on his mobile phone (you know, when his head is scrunched over on one side) - joined the M11 still yacking (dodgy junction ) finished his call, then spent the next couple of miles twitching about in his car looking at something - car was twitching too

The actual award bit goes for when he was following in the o/side lane @ 60/65 & he decides to get his paper out and balance it on his steering wheel & start to read

<B>WHAT A PLONKER</B>

Anyway, I wasn't going to have some half-aware dip-stick up my backside for the next 10 miles, so I eased off a touch, made sure no-one was on the inside or behind him & hit the brakes a bit - his face was a picture when he realised - just like his eyeballs were going to pop out! I also wagged my finger at him.

He put his paper down & followed in perfect convoy...

Plonker
Old 10 October 2001, 11:53 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

I shall now call you 'Puff the Policeman'

It's been done to me a few times so I sympathise, but have you never been on the phone whilst driving or reading a map?

Just playing 'devils advocate'.....

He, who has not sinned, cast the first stone or something like that.

F
Old 10 October 2001, 11:54 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

<B>his face was a picture when he realised - just like his eyeballs were going to pop out! </B>

lol

As you say tho, Plonker of the day

David
Old 10 October 2001, 01:28 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I think theres a BIG difference between driving agressivly ( I remember the thread 2) where your paying much more attention (generally) and READING WHILE YOUR DRIVING FFS?!?!?!
I saw someone outside me was reading a novel? huh? suppose it would pass the time faster on the way hospital?

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2001, 03:33 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

PTMW Admitted in the previous thread to 'Driving Like an ar$ehole' sounds like the chap in the astra did too.

Driving agressively by road positioning in an effort to get people out of the way OR reading at the wheel can BOTH be construed as dangerous driving and I'm sure they would be if the Police had witnessed either.

The chap in the Astra gets 'Plonker of Day' and PTMW get's the metaphoric 'pat on the back'.

Just pointing out the double standard ( as I did in the previous thread ) which some seem oblivious to ( except Floyd of course ).

What would have happened if the 'Brake test' had gone wrong ? Who would have looked the plonker then ?

Old 10 October 2001, 03:48 PM
Dragon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fair play - good job the scare tactics went successfully though, as it could have easily gone the other way

I hate people like this, they are a menace and clearly have no respect for the safety of other road users, let alone themselves...that said, I shall get back in my Volvo
Old 10 October 2001, 04:09 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had the Brake test failed then the bloke in the astra would have lost his no claims bonus, and got a very nasty dent in the front of his, also probably having to explain to Mr Plod what he was doing driving/reading and talking on his mobile. The brake test, is a sure fire way to get a result one way or another, I use it if some one starts to follow too close!

Perparing my Burger so I can get it Flame grilled!!!!!!!!
Old 10 October 2001, 05:57 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Glad you all sound so confident you could handle your car when it's been rear ended at sixty miles per hour. I know we all drive cars that are capable of much higher speeds than that but when was the last time you actually lost control of a ton of metal at that speed . The alternative is that the man is a nutter and follows you to dole out some of his own justice in retaliation . It's a nasty world out there, wouldn't it be better to keep yourself to yourself?
Old 10 October 2001, 10:46 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Ho Hum....

I've never proclaimed myself as a paragon of virtue & excellence & I am undoubtedly a hipocrite - as are the majority of us on here if truth be told & we think about it.

For the record, my "brake testing" consisted of slightly backing off from the constant speed I was previously doing & covering the brake pedal with my left foot so that the lights came on - not stomping - whilst watching him & his distance from the back of the Vectra. The slight shock of seeing the car in front coming slightly closer with brake lights on, allied to the fact that he realised I had been watching him read his paper, focused his mind. Job done & both out journeys down to Stansted were safer for it.

What I find scoobynet excellent for is the varied views & different angles that your posting might achieve. In my mind, this post was telling a story. I could've left it at the "what a plonker" bit, but IMHO you tell it as it really happened. His use of the phone & casting about his car brought my attention to him - as a potential danger. His paper reading marked him out as a bigger danger. However, Neil points out that both this instance & the "other" a month ago could be construed as similar in potential outlook by an outsider. I agree. His posts have caused me a great deal of thought this PM as I trundled up the M11 homewards. In the "other" situation, I was actually seen by a bbs'er who mailed me off-line. Although he had a confusion over the exact day, I'm pretty sure it was me he was talking about We then have the Webmaster post about dangerous driving at scooby meets... I agree with his stance & his reasoning. I've been on the Ring of Cambridge runs & always aim to go in the group with Dave T-S as I know it'll be the safest with no hot-heads. I'm not really sure of the point I'm trying to make, but I know that my attitude to driving has changed considerably since being on the bbs (& that was before my registered date on the profile) & whilst that may be down to age & reponsibility, is also due to the varied attitudes & opinions of the people on here. Makes me think more & hopefully will make me & others here safer on the road.
Old 11 October 2001, 09:16 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Puff

Wise words mate! Your age has made you into a sage.

I don't think the BBS has had anything to do with my attitude towards driving though, that has all come from experience and learning from my own poor driving mistakes (and a good friend who used to listen to radio 4 all the time and tell me the 'other side of the coin' to balance my judgements).

I now just concentrate on my own driving skills and I try to ignore other peoples mistakes. I treat all other drivers as if the are all loonies who want to crash into me and I then drive defensively trying to avoid them. Afterall, why bother trying to educate the poor drivers, because you'll probably never see them again in your lifetime.

F
Old 11 October 2001, 10:39 AM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Or..... keep a gun in the glove box.
Old 11 October 2001, 03:03 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Floyd. I hear what you are saying and every time I get in the car that is the atitude that I start off with, but maybe I am hot headed, maybe it makes me a bad driver, but as soon as someone pi$$es me off, then I change and find it very hard to drive in a calm manor.

I used to comute from Reading to Park Royal in London every day, this was not good for my driving, I was in the car on my own in rush hour traffic trying to get to work on time, and at every round about on the way you would end up with some PLONKER in the wrong lane who was determined to cut everyone up, to get off at the exit that they required, (Preparing to be flamed) But I used to take it as my mission not to let them do that, otherwise it would take me all day to get to work. Yes I can see how it could be constrewed that I was in the wrong and that I should have let it pass, but it is not in my nature. I did not help that when I started this drive I used to be in a MK1 Festa 949cc in rusty Beige. I was not going to let every Merc and BMW and Volvo cut me up just as they had a more expensive car.

Yes I know a very naugty boy, but I was young and inexperienced.

I then started to work in Braknell the land of the roundabouts, and so onto the Mr De Bank sideways challenge, (Just my Driving Style)

I now work back in London and travel on the Train everyday, alot less stressful and better for the environment, but at £250 a month not good for the bank balence. The car has only done 400mile in the last six weeks, not bad for someone who used to do 25000 a year.

Sorry I digressed a little, back on track. I is easy to start with good intentions but it soon changes as you realise how badly everyone drives.

And by everyone I probably mean myself as well.

RJP