Sponsored by:

DAM THOSE SCOOTER THINGS!

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2001, 12:25 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a funny story:

A few years ago I did some work experience with the police in Wandsworth. One afternoon I was riding in the back of a marked police car (vectra or something) we were driving through a residential area at 30 when this pizza delivery boy crawls passed on his moped.... what a ***... needless to say he got a ticking off and posibly some points for his stupidity
Old 10 October 2001, 05:29 AM
jon44w
Scooby Regular

Angry

Is it just me or does anyone else get seriously pi55ed off with those demented 50cc lawnmower engined things on wheels???

Any spotty faced 16 year old can hop on one WITHOUT a licence and race the streets like he owns them. The problem really starts when they all gang together and pretend they are Carl Fogarty`s. Indicators? they wouldnt know one if it was rammed in their face.

Forget about the Max Power boys, these maniacs are the real danger on our roads.

jonny.
Old 10 October 2001, 08:50 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It is a shame that the CBT is not compulsory for automatic scooters and 50cc'ers. And they do, do some silly things, but then so do we at times.

BUT, likewise its a shame the CBT isn't just a compulsory part of the car licence, as it would make us all better drivers IMHO, as we'd be more aware of mopeds, scooters and bikes!

Alex
Old 10 October 2001, 09:00 AM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Cool

CBT is a compulsory part of getting on two wheels full stop.

What they do after they have taken though is obviously another matter - some of the little ******* round my way have tried to follow me on the 600 a few times?! I thought something was loose on the bike such was the buzzin noise I could hear, took me a few seconds to realise there was a posse behind me.. for about a nanosecond anyway...changed into third and simply cruised over 35mph and left them trailing.....shortest race I've ever had anyway!
Old 10 October 2001, 09:03 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Talking

They are annoying but at least they are getting into motoring and the joys and responsibilities of ownership early and therefore not vandalising the neaghbourhood cars anymore, which tha same cohort woould likely be doing otherwise.
Old 10 October 2001, 09:14 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

CBT is NOT necessary if you passed your driving test before 1999! You can ride a 100cc auto scooter on a car licence without doing the CBT (L plates on of course)!!

I know this, as I just bought my other half a 100cc Pug SpeedFight2 X-Race (mental little thing! ).. anyhow they were quite happy to just give her the bike, but I insisted she do the CBT..

Alex
Old 10 October 2001, 01:56 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Angry

Scooters really **** me off. I had two in front of me the other day. They decide to signal left to suggest they were pulling over. There was no road so I assumed they were just going to stop by the side. So I move out to over take and then one of them decideds to swing out acrros the other side of the road right in front of me. I had to brake hard, what a complete tw*t. I never used to have a scooter when I was young but I did cycle, if I remember rightly I never used want to kill myself, whats changed?

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2001, 02:25 PM
SilverScooby
Scooby Newbie

Who told you that DrEvil? I used to teach CBT's in the UK, and as far as I know the below is still true:

All learner motorcyclists must successfully complete a CBT course before riding any motorcycle on the road. This includes pre-December 1990 full car (and provisional moped) licence holders who have previously been exempt from this requirement. CBT certificates issued after 30th June l996 are valid for three years only, certificates issued from 1st February 2001 are valid for 2 years only. All full car licence holders who have past their test after the 1st February 2001, will have to complete a CBT to validate their category P entitlement on their licence, this will then be valid for the same life as the car licence, but the category A entitlement will only be valid for two years.

The only exemption from CBT’s are those who hold a full moped entitlement as a result of passing a moped test after 1st December 1990 or a full motorcycle licence.

Riders without a current CBT certificate will almost certainly be riding without a licence and insurance, and thus committing an offence punishable by a licence penalty endorsement from 9 to 14 points (12 points meaning an almost certain disqualification).
Old 10 October 2001, 03:48 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

I could possibly say the name of the company in question, but they are a large chain, in 'cities'.

What they seemed to imply was you could ride an auto, not a geared 125cc or below (restricted of course), without doing the CBT if you passed your driving test prior to 1999... Now I thought this was suss, but regardless of this, I wouldn't let my misses not do the CBT and she will be doing the full test in the near future.

I thought it was ludicrus (sp!) that they suggested this too... But they were convinced!

Alex
Old 10 October 2001, 08:46 PM
jon44w
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

zoog: you think having a scooter will keep the young hooligans out of trouble!!! no chance. They will just use their lawnmower engined death wagons as getaway vehicles for stealing mars bars out of the local sweety shop!

Old 10 October 2001, 10:07 PM
scooby19852k
Scooby Regular

Red face

I've got a ped and i think its a great little thing. I admit that some moped riders are complete prats but there are some sensible riders. I suppose u lot have never gone over the speed limit or done anything u aint suppose to do!!

Jamie
Old 10 October 2001, 10:30 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm proud to own a scooter - Prost Peugeot 100 (and a Subaru) but I have never ridden it for pleasure ever. Unless you count pleasure as riding it 3 miles to the station every day in rush hour, which takes 10 minutes instead of 30 minutes by car. What pi$$es me off is the generalisation that all scooter riders are maniacs. When stopped by the police last year for a tax disc check, the pc started inspecting my tyre and asked if "me and my mates" had been doing donuts. When I removed my full faced helmet and saw that I was 32 and not 16 he changed his tack somewhat. I had 18 months of commuting by scooter in London and have now moved out to Reading. Drivers here are less tolerant of scooters as they're not used to them. I will say though that the way I drive is quite different to the way I ride. Apart from commuting, the only time I ride the scooter is when collecting a takeaway, which stays warm under the seat!
Old 10 October 2001, 10:43 PM
Luke
BANNED

I see about 2-3 burnt out scooters everyday in London. There is a major crime problem with youths (Some) baiting the Police to chase them. I have witnessed a Police bike chasing a SP125 and the Officer had problems keeping up,due to size of bike and how mad the rider was.... I havea client who is on her 7th due to theft !!!!

But what fun for so little cash !!!! try saying that about a scoob !!!!