Sponsored by:

Stolen @ Gunpoint (Wolverhampton)

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2002, 09:07 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

Wolverhampton area - I hope all involved are OK? - including police officer who was run over.

Sad news.
Old 18 November 2002, 09:19 AM
Active
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

For those of us not in Wolverhampton whats the story?
Bob
Old 18 November 2002, 09:23 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Not sure - just heard from a colleague and she heard saw it on Midlands Today (local BBC news) as soon as I get more details I will keep you informed.

I hate these type of posts, but I believe fellow Scoob owners need to be kept informed of these events, as do all drivers.

Personal safety and all that.

Richard
Old 18 November 2002, 10:16 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

I caught a snippet of the news bulletin. May not be right in saying this as I saw the TV in passing without my glasses on. Looked like the Scoob had the mini scoops in place of the vents on the bonnet? I was straight on here to see if anyone had posted but this is the first I have seen it mentioned? Seems the Police tried to stop it with stingers and it mounted the kerb to avoid them, hit something and that was that. Didn't see enough of it to get the low down on the injured police man other than his injuries were not life threatening. Just what we need another Scoob in the lime light but not for any good reason Expect more of this as didn't Subaru just do well in a rally event? Sorry to be dumb on that last comment, 3rd hand news as I dont get much time for tele.
Cheers
Matt
Old 18 November 2002, 11:22 AM
navigator
Scooby Regular

molds you are correct.
impreza stolen at gunpoint,sunday nite in wolverhampton(again).policman injured deploying stinger. (he's in hospital) Two men arrested. ..................nail the b******* i say.
bbctv midlands today
Old 18 November 2002, 11:25 AM
navigator
Scooby Regular

whilst on the subject came across this
Police pounce on man in car Nov 8 2002
By Staff Reporter, Evening Mail
Pedestrians and motorists looked on as police pounced on a man in Soho Road, Handsworth.
Officers used batons to smash the windscreen of a car being driven by the suspect on a busy city road.
The man was driving a Subaru Impreza near the junction of Babington Road just before 4pm when he spotted a police foot patrol.
Unfortunately for him, he had arrived on the road just as several officers and members of the Haile Salassie Peace Foundation community volunteers set out from nearby Holyhead Road police station.
One pedestrian said: "He tried to turn the car round to get away but got caught in traffic.
"That brought him to the attention of the police, and when one of them realised he was wanted they swarmed all over the car."
An arrest warrant is understood to have been out for the man for several months in connection for a number of offences.
He was today helping with police inquiries.

Old 18 November 2002, 11:37 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

this happened in derby recently as well
whats the betting the Mitsubishi was an EVO ???
http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/di...tentPK=3036983.

this is all making me think about wether i will by an impreza next time round

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2002, 11:38 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

From News:

Gunman steals car and hits policeman
By Steve Castle
Nov 18, 2002, 11:27am

A car hijacked at gunpoint in Walsall mowed down a Wolverhampton policeman and rammed three police vehicles during a high speed chase across the Black Country.

The 35-year-old traffic officer was trying to deploy a "stinger" device which deflates tyres and brings the car to a standstill when he was deliberately driven at by the gunman in the stolen Subaru Impreza.

He was run over by the car in the incident on Saturday night but escaped with minor injuries, and was able to leave Wolverhampton's New Cross Hospital early yesterday.

The officer, stationed at Bilston Street, was today still "bruised and sore" and will take time off to recover fully.

Three police cars were badly damaged as the stolen vehicle was used as a battering ram as the chase crossed the border between Walsall and Wolverhampton.

Shortly after 8pm the Subaru, being driven along Chuckery Road, Chuckery, Walsall, was forced to pull over by a man who had leapt from another car.

He threatened the driver with a pistol, made him hand over the keys of his car, and then drove off in the direction of Wolverhampton, said Inspector Emlyn Griffith of Walsall police.

"He told the driver to get out and then stole his car which was followed by a number of police vehicles," said Mr Griffith.

Officers from Wolverhampton joined the chase and three of their cars were rammed as the stolen car turned into Wednesfield Way, Wednesfield.

The young officer was run over as he was slinging the stinger device across the road but the car was brought to a halt and a man arrested, he said.

"The officer escaped with just minor injuries and is expected to make a full recovery," he said.

An appeal for witnesses from both Walsall and Wolverhampton has been issued.

Two men were today helping inquiries.

Old 18 November 2002, 12:26 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Angry

lets get this into perspective - people die crossing the road. wouldnt stop me from crossing the road... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 18 November 2002, 01:04 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I live in Birmingham and generally feel very aprehensive driving around after 11pm. I've not had anything happen yet, but these stories cause my ring to quiver!
Old 18 November 2002, 01:09 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

I guess this just strengthens the need for an anti-jacking device?
Old 18 November 2002, 01:17 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

austen
at least they got the 2 bar stewerds.Thats 2 off the streets.
I am always be vigilant,always leave space at traffic lights to escape by,, dont stop if there are folks lurking near lights, or give ways etc. and make sure always check before you get near to home that no one is tailing you, etc.
but i know what you mean your peace of mind is ruined.Having said that its not just scoobies that get car jacked any high performance car is a possiblity.does that help? i live in brum too.
They'll not stop me enjoying my scooby.
Old 18 November 2002, 01:26 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, they should be up for attempted murder so hopefully won't be on the streets for a while. Should'nt have driven at the copper & they'd be out in 3 months
Old 18 November 2002, 01:28 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know its not just scoobs, my old man was at some lights (Bristol Road by McD's)in his H reg Lada and a guy jumped over the barrier and opened my old mans passanger door, he leant in to nick his mobile phone, but when he say it he burst out laughing at the "brick" of a phone! Amuzing now but a bit worrying at the time!
Old 19 November 2002, 12:41 PM
scooby_jim
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Well, if u have a tracker fitted and it does happen (god forbid!), just let them have it, no fuss then get straight onto Tracker HQ. The bu99ers will be nailed in a matter of hours or even minutes..

Jim

[Edited by scooby_jim - 11/19/2002 6:12:35 PM]
Old 19 November 2002, 01:01 PM
Ian Payne
Scooby Regular

Angry

Not sure how tru this is but just heard from the club gti forum that the copper that was injured has died in hospital.

Driver now up for murder....

Ian
Old 20 November 2002, 04:23 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Last person who tried to nick my car leaned in through the window and tried to pull me out. He had a job cos the seat belt was buckled up ****!!! I then grabbed him pulled him in with my hand pushing upwards against his throat and then jamming his head against the roof. Then proceeded to drive off down the road at full speed with him screaming his head off like a little baby, his legs hanging out of the window kicking and dragging trying to get away Very funny indeed. Stopped the car further on to let him go. Took my seat belt off and got out. Chased him down the street and then stopped because i was laughing so much. It was like a movie classic. Honest!!!!!!

Anyway glad they caught the guy involved. I would have thought though that the impreza would have got away.

Scrappy
Old 20 November 2002, 09:14 AM
navigator
Scooby Regular

ian
not true i'm glad to say.
The police man was released from hospital and is at home recovering.
The two fellons are called leon and wayne i think.lets hope they go down for a long stretch.

[Edited by navigator - 11/20/2002 9:14:54 AM]