Sponsored by:

running in boredom or not

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2002, 01:46 PM
quickquink
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I picked up a new wrx yesterday and was advised, without asking, that "these don't need running in, just don't redline it all the time" by the main dealer salesman. Is there any truth in this or are their workshops low on warranty work. I know the Handbook tells a different story, but it would wouldn't it. As a scooby virgin any guidance would be welcome.Thanks.
Old 17 November 2002, 01:50 PM
HamsterWheel
Scooby Regular

Lucky sod ! As a Lotus owner, you have to comply with their running-in reve limits for the first 1000 miles up to the first service to the buggers will void your warranty !
Personally, I'd keep your right foot restrained for a while
Old 17 November 2002, 01:55 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

I'd also advise going easy for the running in period. It doesn't last long anyway - only took me 2 weeks.
Old 17 November 2002, 01:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Run the car in as per the book, the oil used for the running in period is thinner than the oil your car will be running when it has had its first service, its basically designed to aid wear in the first 1000 miles so that any non smooth surfaces can wear flat but are still lubricated, that oil wont be good at high temps when running at 7k rpm though
Also advise that you dont sit at one speed all the time during the run in period as this can glaze the bores (also not a good thing ) but these cars are not bench run in and its not just the engine that your running in, its the entire car (brakes, diffs, gearbox etc).

Tony
Old 17 November 2002, 02:01 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Yeah, it's hard to keep the revs down but it's only for a week or so.

BTW, mine's now on over 2,500 miles in exactly 2 weeks (!) and it still feels like it's getting better every day :-)

Mike
Old 17 November 2002, 05:59 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
I'm in exactly the same situation. Picked mine up on Friday, and the difference between driving home on friday, going for a long cruise on saturday and taking in some nice roundabouts (Anyone here the owner of the Sti I was behind on the City Airport run near canary wharf?) is incredible. The brakes are starting to bed in, and the throttle response under 3k revs loosens noticeably every time I drive it. I blipped it to 5k on a nice s-bend, but other than that i'm staying under 4k at least until i see 500 on the odometer, then i'll start picking things up a little. Weekend after next I've got a nice trip from london to plymouth down the windy, rounabout-strewn a303, rollercoaster a38 from exeter, and then.....ooh, i should just about be run-in by Dartmoor. I am SERIOUSLY loving my first weekend with my first Scooby...
Old 17 November 2002, 06:03 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

Edcase - Sounds like the way I ran mine it... very genlte to start with then more effort and a few more excrsions into the turbo zome by the end. So far (45,000 miles) no issues.

Do run the cars in, don't tw@t them from the start!

It took me 1 week to get rid of that 1,000 miles!D

BTW glad you are enjoying it!

Trending Topics

Old 20 November 2002, 09:15 PM
WRBlue
Scooby Regular

Quick,

Sounds like a no-brainer, just enjoy progressively and get used to the permanent grin. I have to say that blue/black with silver wheels looks fabulous (anyone about to buy take note).

Welcome aboard!

JJ
Old 20 November 2002, 11:13 PM
markbluemica
Scooby Regular

Wink

I get mine next tuesday wr blue big prodrive rear wing and morrettes bit p!ssed off only got £11500 for my my00

Mark
Old 21 November 2002, 02:26 AM
hypoluxa
Scooby Regular

The most important part of the running in procedure is the bedding in of the piston rings. Good ring sealing is essential for a healthy strong engine. The initial and by far the most important part of this process is achieved within the first 50 miles of driving.

One of the worst things you can do for ring sealing is to run it in 'by the book'.
Old 21 November 2002, 08:27 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Question

One of the worst things you can do for ring sealing is to run it in 'by the book'
Then why do they put it in the book then?

General consensus is that you should run it in as per the book. Firstly because it covers warranty wise, against any engine failure and secondly because Subaru make the cars, and its in their interest to have a good reliability reputation and putting duff info about running the car in is'nt condusive to helping this process out.

Old 21 November 2002, 09:17 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Key thing is: don't let it lug or strain at high load / low rpm, or give it too much WOT at any rpm. Use the gears to keep the engine loadings low ... the saying "running it in by the book is bad" can be true if you stick rigidly below 3K rpm for 1000 miles.

It's OK to let it rev a little to 4 - 4.5K on a light throttle in the lower gears, and these little bursts help to avoid any bore glaze.

Interestingly, my old T4's manual gave no engine running-in instructions, but stated "avoid full use of the brakes for the first 1000km"! Sometimes you don't have a choice ....
Old 21 November 2002, 10:10 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

The book actually states that you shouldnt sit at a constant speed for long periods of time whilst running in.
I think thats actually the advice you need

Tony