Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Why oh Why oh Why

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2001, 09:01 PM
Meady
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funnily enough as a 'lessor' car owner I shouldn't really be posting threads on this site. Fair enough. However it really does amuse me that the amount of 'users' of scoobynet who own or supposidly own an impreza always make the same old remarks and assumptions about us mere mortals. I.E. Max Poo and assuming that because some-one has an astra van or whatever that it isn't going to give and impreza a run for it's money.

Now I will admit that I used to buy Max Poo every month, but I would rather eat my left foot than buy that now, well words can't describe what utter blah blah blah it is, well that's only my personal opinion. There is a vauxhall that I know of that will trash most scoobys on here and has been proven many times at santa pod. However, everybody seems to be forgetting that generally 4wd cars + mucho power will beat a lessor 2wd car. 4wd systems do add weight to the car increasing the amount of hp needed to match or beat a 2wd car of the same specification.

There is more power loss through the transmission and drive train on any 4wd car than a 2wd car, fact. You can debate all day long as to how much this figure is, I don't really care.

Although it doesn't really bother me, but there does seem to be an awful lot of scoobynet users who have got blinkers on with their constant references to Max Poo and cheap nail on products to 'lessor' cars. I would totally agree with the over the top bodykits and sometimes the 'borrowed' impreza bonnet vent. But personally there is nothing better than having 'mr I've got a better car than you sitting at the lights on a private test track thinking he's going to absolutely abliterate me in my standard looking car' I don't think so. Oh dear, what was that at the traffic lights? oh only some prat in his impreza turbo that's now a spec of dust in my rear view mirror. The only bodykit I have on my car like most of the 'respectable' regular users of scoobynet have is the one it came out of the factory with.

I never came on here to cause any trouble, as I have said in my first thread on here was just interested in subarus and wanted to have a look around. So accept my appologies for any inconvenience (I think that's spelt correctly, can't be bothered to use the spell checker) caused none was ment. Just up for a good strong debate about cars and not i've got an impreza turbo and it's better than your vauxhall syndrome.

Thanks for reading as I'm sure that many people about to post after this thread won't have done so properly.

P.S If you can't form a proper argument without resorting to personal insults and swearing then don't bother, only shows how much intellegence you don't have.

[This message has been edited by Meady (edited 04 October 2001).]
Old 04 October 2001, 09:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

interesting comments

I could be accused of having a max power car, as anyone who's seen the state of my scooby would not doubt agree. i too used to and do occasionaly purchase the aforementioned magazine, but usually only if a scooby is mentioned.

Each to his own I say, if someone wants to pain thier scooby bright pink and stick big bodykits and wings on it then it's up to them. it's all about making it individual. I've added additional scoops to my car and some like them, some don't. yes it's been called tacky, but I like it, it's a personal expression that makes the car unique.

Personally the purple scoob with the lexus rear lights is kinda nice, and I'd like a set of those rear lights as the blackbeast would look good with them, plus full pimp-tint and clear indicators and side repeaters. So that should qualify me for max powet status according to most, but hey, I'll go for that.

As long as the person customising their car does not vandalise my, or anyone else's, car to obtain thier parts then fair play to them. Go for it, create your ideal car.

I have seen some very bad examples of customisation and some very good ones, and a few in between.

Would I do the same if I did not have a scooby? probably. If i had not sold my saxo VTS, by now it would have had some mods done to it, and probably not very tasteful ones either.

nuff said I think.
Old 04 October 2001, 09:36 PM
Meady
Scooby Newbie

I totally agree Markus, I would be mortified if I found that some-one had decided to modify my car for me by ripping off the spoiler or running a key down the side of it.
Old 04 October 2001, 09:46 PM
tomstickland
Scooby Newbie

That is a good point about modifying. Unless you do it yourself you never know what complete botch has been made in the name of performanc. A bit like dodgy DIY I suppose.
Old 04 October 2001, 09:48 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

i like the idea of a near standard car wipping a quicker, gives the owners a shock, i used to have an opel manta with a 260 bhp 16 valve astra engine, later style body kit etc
mark
Old 04 October 2001, 10:36 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

here, here Meady. I just have one more think to add as an impreza owner......

****** My cars better then yours! ******

OK, I'm off then
Old 05 October 2001, 01:33 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yes, I am sick of the banter.

Trouble is it is mainly fuelled by those small minority of car owners who do own stupidly maxed out cars that feel the need to make themselves look big.

I know there are a lot of hot hatch owners etc who are great to know and we both have respect for each other and each others cars.

It would be great to have an end to this and go back to the general forum I used to know and love a few months back.

Michelle.
Old 05 October 2001, 01:51 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry I meant to include the idiot impreza owners too not just single out the *real* max power boys.

Michelle.
Old 05 October 2001, 08:24 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I agree with a lot of what you say regarding 4wd power losses. I used to Hillclimb my UK Turbo, modified the boost, blew apart a piston, knack'd a gearbox.. blah.. blah. Long and short of it I don't hillclimb the Subaru any more (although I do use it on the road, and it's still a fantastic car with APEXI boost management etc ~ just guzzles hugh amounts of SUL )

However I now Hillclimb a rather mad Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi which as got something like 150bhp at the wheels the last time we rolling roaded it. It handles fantastically and really does go well.. (no lag etc)

Interestingly there little difference between my times now in the Pug compaired to the times when I first started to Hillclimb the Subaru.

Pug Harewood times 70.7 Seconds
Fastest in my Subaru was 67.7 when it was running something like 2bar of boost.

When running a more conservative boost I was often in the high 68 / low 69 second ball park which probably isn't going to be impossible in the Pug next season.

Yes the driving style is different, The Subaru was slow in fast out (smoking tyres style), but the Pug you can throw into a bend and scream out, overall probably faster.

I'm going to spend some time on a track later on in the month and are going to put the Pug against the Scoob just to see how little difference there is between the two.
Hopefully it will be dry so that traction shouldn't ruin everything.

Cheers

BS.
Old 05 October 2001, 08:42 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yep, I agree, enough of the slating. Most if not all of the people on this board have owned the cars other people are maxing now. Most if not all have changed something on every car they've had (even tiny changes count).
Me XR2 - Geoff Howe exhaust, Webber twin 45's - it was a beast!!!
205 1.9Gti - lowered the nuts off it - always wanted a Dimma kit for it...
GolfVR6 - couldn't be bothered, it was too boring...

Old 05 October 2001, 04:41 PM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Spells Yo Yo

If you watch Soccer Am, you might have a little chuckle!