Sponsored by:

Subaru Forester feedback

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2002, 12:15 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

As part of a negotiated settlement with my wife I may be able to upgrade my MY02 to an MY04 STI.... the negotiated bit is she gets a 4wd softroader first. Now after some looking around we are both keen on the Forester and with the new model due next year maybe able to get a good deal on a late used.

Reviews of it allthough few and far bewteen seem to be very positive, so just wondered if anyone had one and any thoughts you may have on the issue?

Dave

p.s. one whizzed past me on the M1 on sunday evening, he/she must have been doing well over a ton.
Old 14 November 2002, 12:26 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

New forester is already at the dealers now,demo's are there and first orders going out according to my local dealer. So perhaps as some of the forester owners start gfrading up, then some nice nearlty new units may be available "right price". They seem to be one of Subaru's unknown models, not untill you drive one, do you realise how good and comfortable they really are, let alone how the turbo model does actually shift. Mind you, the import variant is good to, as they fit the 2.5 to some of them,thats if you can find one, that is.
Old 14 November 2002, 01:08 PM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

My mother in law had the 2ltr with all weather pack Auto.

Huge sunroof, very comfy car indeed.

Same size as an Impreza roadspace wide but with more head room and a higher view point.

Nice car, tried a turbo on a track and that was a better car but not sure its worth the extra over the normal 2.0.

try one out for size. just remember 6 months servicing (unless they have changed it on the newer cars)

The one they had has just been chopped in for a legacy estate as they needed a longer boot for 2 dogs the foresters is big but it has more vertical space and its tricky stacking dogs!
Old 14 November 2002, 01:08 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The old shape is essentially a boxed body on a classic Impreza platform but with a higher ride height, so quite a bit of roll.

It'll have the same "they all do that" features as the classic so expect clutch judder etc. The brakes are the 2 pots as found on the pre MY98? Imprezas so they aren't up to much on the Turbo model.

So expect running costs for the Forester to be much the same for the equivalent Impreza, albeit the insurance is a little lower.

You could get a UK turbo or N/a versions or try a bonkers grey import turbo with min. 240 bhp.
Modifying the turbo can be done once you get bored with it but sourcing stuff can be a little time consuming. Many tuning Impreza parts will fit the Forester.

Nick
1997 STB Forester
Old 28 November 2002, 04:24 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Just found this thread, you will get deals on 'old shape' ones, but bear in mind the following:-
the new Non-turbo version has a VVT engine and the economy is a LOT better than the old one.
The servicing is now 1 year instead of 6 months
Insurance is supposed to be lower on new ones (old S-turbo was group 17!!)
I've got a year old one, and had one before that, they really are excellent cars. As Nick said, the usual subaru traits apply, and I find the outer edges of the tryes wear out super fast. You can't go wrong with whichever model you get.
As to performance/mods, the S-turbo has a smaller turbo and different ECU to an impreza, but swop those out and you're laughing! Old, old S-turbo's have 168bhp, newer ones have 177bhp. My 177 version does an indicated 135mph (on my private motorway;-))Fuel economy varies from 230 miles to the warning light to 300+ miles to the warning light. Remove the S-turbo badge and the only difference visually from a GLS is the hood scoop and exhaust.

[Edited by Toerag - 11/28/2002 4:28:23 PM]
Old 28 November 2002, 06:22 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

DaveP

YHM which may be of help?