Sponsored by:

STi7 Type UK, HELP ME DECIDE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2002, 01:15 AM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OKAY GUYS I NEED SOME OPINIONS.

Tommorow I am test driving a WRX STi7 Type UK.

It has, 3 gauge center pod, sat nav cd & head unit, GGR back box ( it sounds better than mates M3, his words not mine ), 12disk in boot. and usual Type UK refinements.

It has covered 8000miles and the dealer is lookingf for just under 25k. Have been told it was the demo/bosses own personal car and nobody was allowed to drive it, but I've heard this b4 funnily enough...

1st Opinion : is this the right sort of price

2nd : would I be better waiting for the MY03 (how long will it be)

3rd : will this depreciate much once 03 is available

This thing looks & sounds awesome, cant wait till 2morrow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh yeah anyone fancy a nice Type R.
Old 14 November 2002, 08:40 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

A Japanese (Grey Import) Low mileage STI7 can be purchased for under 15000 if you look around, Is the UK really worth 10000 more ?
Old 14 November 2002, 09:04 AM
adair69
Scooby Regular

I got a brand new STi7 from the dealer July 31st this year for less than £24k, the guys having a laugh. I spoke to my dealer about the new one, and can probably get the MY03 for about the same. Incidentally he did tell me that the STi7 will hold its value and there will always be someone he can palm mine off to for silly money! Don't be that bloke. I'm not saying the car isn't worth more, but lets face it if you can get a new one do so. Or, you can have mine for £25k with Sat Nav, TSL midsection, groupN back box, a very tasteful extension to the front spoiler,HID's multi CD and sound proofing
Old 14 November 2002, 09:33 AM
rshort2210
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

or...u cud ave mine.......blue/black with 2.3k on the clock, still bog standard....6 mnths old.......24k
Old 14 November 2002, 09:36 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

IMHO, too much money. Garages will tell you that you lose the money you put into cars in the form of extras, so haggle on that front.

At the moment, there is real confusion over what will and will not be in the UK spec STI VIII. it might be a stormer, it might just be the same unit... perrsonally I'd want that cleared up before buying any STI at the moment.
Old 14 November 2002, 09:37 AM
Skippyscoob
Scooby Regular

Or you could look in the 'for sale' section on Scoobynet and pick up a STi Prodrive for a couple of grand less. Happy hunting!
Old 14 November 2002, 11:18 AM
mark d
Scooby Regular

Autocar have just reviewed the new Sti - apparently a stormer, much more torque earlier on and better handling.

I would just like to get my hands on those w***kers at Subaru who sold me a new model in April, only to bring out a complete redesign less than a year later, probably causing the value of mine to plummet.
Old 14 November 2002, 11:39 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Stuart J - point me in the right direction, I would jump at a low mileage JDM car for under £15k. Where have you seen them please?
Old 14 November 2002, 12:02 PM
adair69
Scooby Regular

Oh one more point.... "Demo car" Seen the Oil advert Ouch OUCH!!!

I drove the demo to buy mine brand new and I wouldn't buy it....
Old 14 November 2002, 12:22 PM
Rich B
Scooby Regular

Talking

I didn't see anything about the new Euro STI having less low down lag in Autocar. The new STI8 Euro is the same engine wise as the current one with a sightly modded intercooler which will make bugger all difference. Autocar go on about being able to tell the difference this week but I'm sure thats just a placebo. If it made more power then Subaru would surely say so wouldn't they?

In my opinion, and I have only had a Scoob for 6 months, is that the new STI8 Euro is a p*ss take by Subaru, the only difference is the different lights (which all the mags say make it *much* better looking - I'm not sure it makes that much difference to somebody ready to buy an Impreza) and nice dials.

While the JDM gets all that, new fancy turbo/exhaust for muchos less lag and an EVO type centre diff thats manually adjustable. No doubt for the next update this time next year all those bits will appear on the euro car and all the STI8 folks will be well p*ssed!

If the new car had all that then they'd sell millions of them, probably me included. I bet Litchfields etc. are rubbing their hands right now...

/slight rant off

Rich B
Old 14 November 2002, 02:12 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rich,

You took the words right out of my mouth.
I do not believe we in the UK will be seeing the new revised exhaust system on the STI MY03, this will only be for JDM models and imports.
The main changes will be what you can see especially that awful scoop.
I hope I'm wrong but time will tell.

However getting back to the top.
1. I think 25K is too much to pay, extras don't really add that much, could also be a thrashed demo.
2. What happens when the next model change is out? Same thing.
3. IMHO the STI UK will depreciate that's for sure but by how much, nobody will know until next year.

As other people have said above look on here and you'll find a few STI UK Prodrives around 24K.

Cheers,

Rob.

[Edited by Rob D - 11/14/2002 2:31:25 PM]
Old 14 November 2002, 02:17 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Angry

Get a grip.
I just bought an STI7 and saved lets say £3500 K
Just buy what you like and enjoy.
Its the best Impreza so far in my opinion
Old 14 November 2002, 02:22 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

Cheers fella's

Thats helped a fair amount, I'll try it out and completely slate it infront of dealer and see what his reaction is, when he's red in the face with anger I'll drop in the line "well it's only really worth 21k tops, and then with 03 out soon it'll lose even more"

You should be funny to see his face, I do like the look of it and sounds, but why pay a dealer well over the odds when there's plenty of honest fella's out there with huge savings to be had.

I'll post again later on my experiences of the test drive, hope dealer has his lead pants on....hehehehe
Old 14 November 2002, 02:51 PM
graham pritchard
Scooby Regular

Ex.demos STI7s will naerly all have been on this years trackday test sessions with Subaru. Wouldn't touch one, having been in and seen others giving them the treatment.
3000 miles and 20 sets of tyres later.....hey presto nice ex.demo
Be careful, check the log book and see if IM has previously owned the car!
Old 14 November 2002, 07:26 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

Well you lot may shoot me down but....

I was really dissapointed with it...

It felt flat at low revs

had more flatspots than Tara Palmer Tompkinson

just felt really heavy through corners, direction changes felt a real struggle

at 80 in 5th felt no quicker under acceleration than a V6 mondeo.

I really was dissapointed coz I really wanted it live upto what I imagined as I have really come to love the looks of it.

Funniest thing was the sales guy,,, after telling him that it just did'nt feel quick said well it's a lot lot quicker with the PPP, yeah I've heard that I said, (this is where all you guys with PPP are gonna be angry cos apparantly you dont really have one) so I says to how long would it take to get a PPP pack, PPPPPPHHHHHHHHHooooorrrrrr he goes well I was the first sales guy in the country to order the PPP and the first one turns up next week, so according this fella you are all being coned (wot a knober).
He then proceeded to say would ya be interested if we could get you a PPP for it quickily, I might, he then goes how much you wanna pay, after everyones comments I thought right then lets see how much you wanna get rid of this thing.

I go well you chuck in PPP and I'll give ya 24k cash.( its up for 24.995 already) no way will he bite I thought, next thing ya know he can get me a PPP, and wants to know when I'll want it, any one willing to nock of a grand and throw in a PPP is hiding summat I thought and thats where I made my excuses that the missus will have to try it first and I'll be back at weekend.

Please tell me I got a bad un coz if they are all this bad then what do I do next for a new mota.....

Thanks for all your thoughts guys much appreciated.

dazza (still TypeR)
Old 14 November 2002, 08:13 PM
Barnaby
Scooby Regular

Just got back from a 1st-Lotus airfield day. Instructor took my standard UK STi through a 90 degree corner at 95mph (with the help of left-foot braking).

Direction changes a struggle? I don't think so.
Old 14 November 2002, 08:59 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 14 November 2002, 11:34 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

Chill out Barnaby...

This is just how this car felt, may well have had low tyre pressure or many other things... I know that my car certainly does'nt feel like that and a couple of others I have driven did'nt, but as this was the first STi7 I have tried just wondered if it was the norm or not.
Old 14 November 2002, 11:59 PM
joey deacon
Scooby Regular

wheres john noakes