Sponsored by:

P1 Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2001, 02:46 PM
Bryan Allman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I'm thinking about buying at P1. Any comments or experiences about them would be welcome.
Old 30 September 2001, 02:58 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Do it !

Our`s is now four months / 5k old and am extremely pleased; email me if you require any further details.

Cheers

Old 30 September 2001, 03:10 PM
scoobs
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bryan

Trust you have spotted ARRON BIRD's thread. Desperately trying to sell His P1. It looks like a great car.

Scoobs
Old 30 September 2001, 03:56 PM
CJ P1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm with jamesa.....Do it!

Mine's five months old, still delighted every time I drive it. E-mail me too if you have any doubts!!

Chris
Old 30 September 2001, 06:26 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

same here, go for it, mines 6 months old with 5k
mark
Old 30 September 2001, 09:51 PM
MrData
Scooby Regular

Had mine for 1year and 39,000 miles.

Still chuffed silly about it. Can't imagine a more awsome yet practical car.

Gets so many admiring glances, you wouldn't beleive it.

If you want a really special car, that reminds you how special it is every time you drive it, then get the P1.

Regards
KurtW
Old 30 September 2001, 09:57 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Just sold my P1 had it a few months. Could not park it anywhere in Bristol, so it stayed in the garage. It was really an expencive weekend car. But no two ways about it, they do go very well.
Old 30 September 2001, 10:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you dont need more than 2 doors it may fit your bill - be VERY careful how much you pay however.

A wagon looks better, goes about the same in the real world, is much more practical AND costs loads less.

Pete
Old 01 October 2001, 12:11 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by wilf:
<B>P1 owners will have last laugh on depriciation as it flattens off after years 2 and 3. Mark my words in the long term it will be the best buy of the old shape as it is guaranteed classic status.

[/quote]
I agree you gotta expect to lose if u selling soon after buying. Im not worried about the depreciation at all cause im keeping the car, wont be swapping for any newer impreza for a while. Unless they bring out one better than a P1 which I very much doubt

Old 01 October 2001, 12:24 AM
jimbob2
Scooby Regular

I bought DrEvils old car. I would have to agree with him on depreciation - I got a REAL bargain.

Alex had done some good stuff with the car - nice Alpine system, the sound proofing is excellent.

I've added a full Scooby Sport system, GGR group N dump valve (what lag?) and the 18" P1 wheels running S02s.

If you do buy one, upgrade the brakes straight away - I went for the official Prodrive ones.

Oh, and of course the pimp tints (thanks alex!!!)

The car is fantastic - its pulling around 310bhp now with Optimax - it sounds quite ridiculous, but its always nice to see Porsche and TVR drivers' jaws dropping.

Forget the new Impreza until the STI comes out - even then, you'll have to spend £5000 to get it looking as good as a P1!

BUY NOW!

j
Old 01 October 2001, 12:32 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

'Nice' Alpine system.. oi.. its was cluckin' awesome

The P1 is a great car, and I feel has got a ruff deal on the BBS.. but I'm glad I had the chance to own one, my only comment would be try to keep the mileage down, as thats why mine lost so much so quickly.

Rgds, Alex
Old 01 October 2001, 12:47 AM
wacko
Scooby Regular

Smile

A year of pleasurable driving and the car never fails to make me smile when i start it up...... Plus, you can't service any other supercar as cheap as you can a P1.
Old 01 October 2001, 08:48 AM
Viper
Scooby Regular

Best thing you'll ever do mate, I've had mine four months and 7,500 miles. Makes me smile just sitting in it and when you plant your right foot...just hold on and smile even more.

If you want anymore details just email me.

Viper
Old 01 October 2001, 09:03 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Don't know about a wagon looking better, more practical yes!
Old 01 October 2001, 09:20 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Got mine in May after owning two turbos (one modded)
The P1 is an excellent car and IMHO is a much better car than a turbo. On B roads you can drive quickly with less effort than a turbo. One thing that a turbo is lacking is mid range torque and the P1 makes up for this. In gear acceleration of the turbo was sadly lacking and I found with some cars you wouldn't think could keep up, staying with me (in a straight line)
They can't keep up anymore

I personally think it's the best looking impreza, so I bought one.

If you fancy one, go for it. You will not be disappointed.

Old 01 October 2001, 09:39 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Smile

A wagon looks better than the P1 youve gotta be kidding!
Have had my P1 for 3 months now, 3,500 miles. Excellent car. Having had an import sti5typeR for 6 months and then having this, there simply is no comparison. For me the ride and handling is perfect, the performance is awesome, u can simply take ANYONE on. Some peops complain about slight understeer, i think they should drive around in an sti coupe if they want wild oversteer. A total waste of time in the wet or if you havent got the driving skills of Schumacher.

Although the sti had some lovely little extras and toys the P1 doesnt, for day to day and point to point the P1 kills it.

The only thing i dont like about the P1 are a few pointless controls on the dash, ie a bright switch that alters the level of brightness on the digital clock display, and a control to alter your headlights according to how your car is loaded, both utterly pointless, i would have prefered some guages to look at instead.
Old 01 October 2001, 10:29 AM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Had P1 for a week and 300 miles after owning a MY97 UK Turbo for 3.5 yrs. I am the 2nd owner but the car had only done 3000 miles in 10 months . Only just run-in.
Amazing car, as the strap line goes "Just Do It".
Old 01 October 2001, 11:02 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Awesome car - awesome depreciation!
Old 01 October 2001, 11:08 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

P1 owners will have last laugh on depriciation as it flattens off after years 2 and 3. Mark my words in the long term it will be the best buy of the old shape as it is guaranteed classic status.

Old 01 October 2001, 01:09 PM
Petoir
Scooby Regular

I've had mine for about 6 months. 8,000 miles so far. Not a hint of any probs. Paint chipping is in evidence but nowhere near as bad as the MY99 DBM I had. And the touch up stick colour matches ~(DBM was nearer to black)

I bought it in the summer months, so with the recent damp, cold weather - five tanks of Optimax and the Prodrive BackBox - holy mother of God. I've also started to get a little more aggressive with the car and it pays, it's incredible when you really chuck it around - heart in your mouth time.

Couldn't give a monkey's about depreciation, it ain't going anywhere.

Old 01 October 2001, 01:58 PM
Rob Powell
Scooby Newbie

'Just do it', I had one of the first ones, done 28,000 in 16 months, no problems at all, it will leave a smile on your face every time you fire it up and punt it down your favourite back road, its an addiction and one of lifes little experiences not to be missed given the chance, IMHO.
Old 03 October 2001, 10:33 PM
Bryan Allman
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks guys

Averaging 15-20k a year, and most of that between home and airports, it might be wasted. But every time I test drive one I think - what a brilliant waste!!!

I guess I'll just have to get the insurance sorted out and bit the bullet !

Old 04 October 2001, 03:18 AM
Dave Mackey
Scooby Regular

Fantastic year of driving still grin every time I get into the car and fire her up. Now living in Holland so the car attracts even more attention hopefully not the wrong kind though.

A must is the brake upgrade and the 18' wheels. Although still waiting for replacement P Zeros from Pirelli as the originals have the sidewall splitting

Dave
Old 04 October 2001, 04:05 AM
matt d
Scooby Regular

My opinion - if you want to go very fast on the toughest roads you know, the P1 is the ultimate.

Friendliest and easiest to recover on-limit handling of any car I've driven (that includes 911, Skyline GTR34, Evo VI, Caterham, M5, M3) although I am no Simon de Banke by any means so maybe you should ask him. If a truck pulled out in front of me whilst I was doing 100mph, the P1 would be the car I'd want to be in. The Evo VI is a top car too, but more tail happy IMO and I found it harder to control once it starts to go.

I have a couple of complaints - one, there are too many niggles (discs warping, sh*te front spoiler paintwork, gearbox & clutch unreliable on some cars etc); two, it is uninvolving to drive unless you are caning it. I had this brought home after driving my 2nd car an old E30 M3. The Beemer was fun at 60-70mph, but when I got in the scoob I found myself doing 90-100mph+ on normal B roads just to get a thrill (they were quiet, I slowed down past junctions etc, not irresponsible). Basically the car is a threat to your license unless you are careful where you speed.

If you are ok with that, and want the ultimate kick on 4 wheels, then just buy one. I've had it up to 165mph overtaking people, airborne at 135mph on a B road, averaged 115mph from Brecon to Oxford at night, overtaking a 911 at 80mph mid-air over a (clear-sighted) hump in Scotland, following a superbike at 120mph round some welsh B road sweepers, some of my best motoring experiences. Just be prepared for an instant ban if you ever get caught while on full throttle, or even half for that matter. You can even 4 wheel drift it and stick the tail out if you want, just turn in to a bend a bit fast whilst lifting off, then get back on the power and it's easy to control. It's not really a flamboyant car though, just f*cking fast sh*t off a shovel from A to B.

If you want one, Aaron's seems ok, he may open his gob from time to time but he sounds alright and I'm sure he has maintained his car well. £24k is good value if the P1 is your sort of car. In a couple of months I may be ditching mine as well, too worried about my license, and want something I can enjoy at more normal speeds (maybe a Caterham). Still, I think the P1/Evo VI thing is something you have to do once in your life if you are into cars.