Sponsored by:

Oh deer......

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2001, 06:50 PM
robs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Had a run in with one this morning. The deer definitely came off worse and is now an ex deer. Luckily for me, it was a smallish one , cos I was doing about 60mph. It bounced off, but has done some damage... dent in bonnet, split the bumper, smashed a foglight and grill, bent the bar that runs along the front of the bonnet, holding the latch etc. Have taken it into a dealer for an estimate, but it looks like it will need to be an insurance job. I am told they will need to respray the bonnet. My question is, if the damage is purely cosmetic (which it appears it is), should I go through the insurance approved bodyshop, or should I go through a Scooby dealer (which means no courtesy car, no 3 yr guarantee etc through the insurance). Any thoughts/recommendations?

And for all you animal lovers, yes, I am sorry for killing the deer, and it was very upsetting pulling it off the road. But not as upsetting as the excess I'm about to have to pay.
Old 03 October 2001, 06:51 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Did you report it to the police? I've got a feeling you have to if you hit a deer...
Old 03 October 2001, 07:21 PM
robs
Scooby Regular

A couple of people at work said the same, so I phoned the police. He told me it does NOT need to be reported, but he did take all the details and location etc...he said the local council would probably want to know to dispose of the carcass, and he said he would get in touch with them.
I have had enough people asking me today why I didn't stick it in the boot immediately!! For anyone who's interested, apparently you need to gut them VERY soon after death, and I really didn't feel too much like doing so. Besides that, it was about 300 yds from the nearest safe place to park, so whilst I did park up and walk back to move it off the road, I didn't feel like struggling up the hill with it over my shoulder.. too bloody heavy for a start.
Old 03 October 2001, 07:23 PM
The Saint
Scooby Regular

Deer - upset ?

I would be delighted and have a great recepie for venison sausages if you want it.

The Saint