Sponsored by:

Idiot motorway drivers

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2002, 11:16 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I know this has been done before, but it's time for my rant.

On the way into work this morning. Heavy rain, low visibility. M1 J21 southbound if anyone knows it. 4 lanes. lane 1 (nearside) becomes the slip-road for the junction a mile down the road. Most drivers are content to get into the lane in time and slowly drive along in the heavy traffic until it becomes the slip road. However, some idiots[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] think that queuing with the rest is below them, so steam up in lane 2 and either

1) STOP (with traffic coming up behind at +50mph) and wait for someone to let them in, or

2) Dive in regardless and sod the rest of you.

This is what someone did a few cars in front an artic a few cars ahead of me. The artic brakes, the trailer starts jack-knife, just when ANOTHER idiot cuts in behind the artic. He slams his anchors on and only just misses the trailer, with the car behind having to take avoiding action onto the hard shoulder.

I don't know how there was no contact between the vehicles involved

This is one of my pet-peevs for M-way driving. Their impatient driving will get someone killed. And it won't be them, as they zoom off, oblivious to the mayhem the cause behind. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

If anyone has been to the end of the M6, where it splits to got to the A14 you will notice many marks on the road in lane 1 from skids, crashes and burnt vehicles where these idiot drives have caused accidents. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Thanks you for listening.

Old 12 November 2002, 11:48 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Agree with your thoughts! Lets see if you can drag it on for 12 pages like I did
Old 12 November 2002, 11:56 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Agree with you.. I still cannot believe that MOTORWAY driving is not part of the test.. it is the fastest road we drive on.. yet no one drives on it with tuition first etc.. if everyone drove sensibly and with lane disipline I am sure there would be less jams and less need for extra motorway lanes and less accidents / hold ups.

I have a few times been driving along in a similar road situation and been in lane 4 or 3 overtaking and then realised that lane one is queuing for the junction I want.. and rather than doing as described above I have gone a different route.. sometimes there are oportunities to safely get into the queue if you made that mistake but 9 times out of 10 they are only trying to gain the extra 1/4mile rather than accidently missing the back of the queue and are not aware or don't give a stuff of there actions like you describe! muppets!

I got so annoyed driving yesterday with people undertaking whilst we were queuing in the outside lane to overtake.... and the lack of understanding of stopping distances especially in the wet is so scarey..

JGM
Old 12 November 2002, 12:02 PM
Barnaby
Scooby Regular

Read an interesting article a while back about why road rage happens.

Their idea was that driving is the only time in modern living where your life is at risk due to somebody elses stupidity. So you are literally fighting for survival out there!
Old 12 November 2002, 12:09 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

not entirely connected, but has anyone seen the "Britain's worst drivers" programme? There is a blonde guy on there who consistently demonstrates the worst "road rage" I have ever seen. He is actually shaking when he gets out of the car and cannot explain why he gets so worked up. I would hate to come across this guy on the road.

Steve