Sponsored by:

New BMW Z3

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2001, 10:20 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Watching Driven last night and I saw some footage of a development version of the new BMW Z3 being driven.

Now this car isn't even going to be released for at least 18 months to 2 years so how the hell do you go about ordering a car in advance that doesn't even officially exist yet. The way these things usually work is that there is a big waiting list for them when they first come out so obviously I want to be at the front of the queue so I can be one of the first to own one. If there is a big waiting list then I can sell it when I am bored of it and hopefully not loose too much in depreciation (Bit like Imprezas in the good old days!)

So has anybody ever actually ordered a car that doesn't even officially exist??
Old 03 October 2001, 10:26 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Yeah, find a 'good' dealer (good by reputation, big franchise etc) and 'express an interest' in the new car. They can't take deposits usually, but they should put your name top of their list. You just have to trust their integrity though, as alot will bump you in favour of repeat/favoured customers.
You also have to hope the dealer is still there when the car is finally officially announced! My boss did this though Stratstones for the Jag F type a couple of years ago.
Regards
Chuck
Old 03 October 2001, 10:31 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

A mate went into a Ford garage 6 months ago & said "Can I put a deposit down on a Focus Cosworth"
They still took £1000 off him !
They still have it so I would gusee if Ford decide to make this car (which I doubt) then he would be very near the top of the list.
He did make sure the deposit was 100% refundable if said car was never made.

Ro.
Old 03 October 2001, 10:39 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Over a year ago I went with my friend to look at a new shape BMW 320 Convertible he wanted to buy and the salesman quoted at best a 7 month waiting list and went on about the fact that the dealers are allocated very few cars. I chatted to the salesman for a while about the new M3 (Not even released then and he told me his entire years allocation had sold out instantly)and M5 and waiting lists etc. and what you say about "repeat/favoured customers" is pretty worrying as I got the impression that most of his customers constantly trade in their cars for the next latest thing, so what are the dealership going to do when a good customer wants a car that has a long waiting list....

Maybe I should pop back to the dealers (The one in Kingston, can't remember the name) and have a chat with the dealer and hope he remembers me.

The upshot was that my friend couldn't wait 7 months for the car and went off and bought a Nissan 200SX instead! He is now thinking of selling it to get something cheaper and doesn't realise just how little it is now worth!