Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watery Boot !

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2001, 12:05 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have found water in the spare wheel housing while the rest of the boot is absolutely bone dry.
A complete mystery that I have never solved!
If anyone could explain I'd be most grateful/impressed.

Neil.
Old 02 October 2001, 12:15 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

as danny said,

it leaks down the seal of the rear light cluster which collects all the run off from the rear windscreen, boot and most of roof. It then runs directly down from lights along back wall of boot and directly into spare wheel well where it sits forever. In the process it doesnt hit much in the way of boot carpet. You may find this will dry out long before water in well evaporates, especially when the weather is colder!

Take lights out and re fit them with masses of sealant or seekoflex. Smells a bit, but always a cure!
Old 02 October 2001, 12:36 AM
BobaFett
Scooby Regular

I to have suffered watery boot syndrome in a MY01, the carpet was quite wet on only one occasion, can't be sure if it was a boot leak or some shopping that got away! - Pretty sure it wasn't shopping as there was no spilt milk. Since then it has remained dry.

[This message has been edited by BobaFett (edited 02 October 2001).]
Old 02 October 2001, 12:42 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

hi all,

had this problem myself on MY00 last month after some particulary heavy rain , it filled the tyre well:- at the bottom of this is a rubber bung (well coated in paint so difficult to see) if you remove this you can get all the water out of this area, i then cut a small hole in it before replacing it, this has to be removed and refitted from under the car.
Then i found water in the 2 wells at either side of the boot (you have to remove all the carpets plus side panels to access these)the only way to dry these was to absorb the water with paper /rag etc.
With the boot now completley empty i got in side with a torch and got somebody to hose the back half of the car, this revealed that the water was coming through the BOOT seal at the bottom but the water started to get into the seal from the top near the rear window and capillary under the seal I.E. the bit where it fixes to the the boot edge then run down the inside and exit at the bottom of the seal, to cure this i removed the boot seal and in the narrow clip section i injected a silicon seal all the way round, when refitted to the car this seals the rubber to the metal edge and stops the leak(so far so good). hope this helps

ray t
Old 02 October 2001, 11:51 AM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Had a look in my boot earlier having splashed my way to work this morning. The area around the spare tyre has lots of water droplets whereas the area around the cone that connects to the spare wheel (ie. right at the bottom of the boot) has about 4 inches of water sitting there ! Any ideas how water could get in ? MY99 motor.

Thanks
Old 02 October 2001, 11:58 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Bakerman, it is more than likely that one of the rear light clusters is leaking. Thats the normal cause.

Dan