Sponsored by:

painting little vent things below indicators

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2001, 12:04 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carl,

We took the easy route and did ours in black (have got an RB5) - although we have got some matching paint coming our way next week, hmmmmm...

Kim
Old 30 September 2001, 12:58 AM
silver
Scooby Regular

Had my yukky poo coloured thigs done when I had all the black bits colour coded MY99.
Looks so much better, also just put clear front and side indicators on and they really do make the whole front look better.
On the subject of clear lens do you have to put the orange bulbs in or can you keep clear bulbs?
Old 30 September 2001, 11:48 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I have a silver (paint code 792) MY00 and want to paint the horrid orange wedge things below the indicators. Is it important to get a decent colour match, or do I just go for some silver paint from Halfords? What's everyone else done?

Cheers.
Old 30 September 2001, 02:06 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I went down the clear indicator route and then painted the orange bits matt black. I think it looks miles better and the best thing is that if it chips then it's simple to fix it.

Here's a picture:

Also, the bulbs have to flash ORANGE in the indicators. Most clear kits do come with replacements though. Mine came from Graham Goode FYI.

Laurence
Old 30 September 2001, 02:19 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Wink

I got a set of "cyrstal" fronts from GG, poxy things didn't fit well, 1st sign of rain and one of them had 1" of water in it
Shame as they looked the knackerz.
I'm sending them back for a refund, can't complain about GG no probs on the customer service bit

If anyone with clear lenses want to buy some well smart clear bulbs that flash orange I've got a brand new set still in their box going cheep cheep..
Old 30 September 2001, 04:50 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by mega_stream:
<B>I got a set of "cyrstal" fronts from GG, poxy things didn't fit well, 1st sign of rain and one of them had 1" of water in it
Shame as they looked the knackerz.
I'm sending them back for a refund, can't complain about GG no probs on the customer service bit

If anyone with clear lenses want to buy some well smart clear bulbs that flash orange I've got a brand new set still in their box going cheep cheep..[/quote]

mega_stream - you have mail
Old 30 September 2001, 05:34 PM
DaveMcC
Scooby Regular

I got a local bodyshop to paint mine - £30. Colour match (green) is not quite perfect (they didn't have the car to match it) but cause they're recessed a bit it doesn't show.

Dave

Trending Topics

Old 30 September 2001, 09:47 PM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Paint them yourself, it is very easy. Paint match need not be perfect, because it won't be that obvious. This is because the vents are at different angles to all the surrounding bumper anyway.....the net effect being that it will reflect the light slightly differently anyway. This being the case, you will find they 'look' a slightly different colour even if the paint match was perfect. Am I making sense?

When you've painted them, coat them in loads of lacquer. Thin coats of course, but allowing time for drying build it up nice & thick. This will help prevent chipping....unless you fancy doing them all over again 6 months later like I did.....

Alternatively, you can (I have been told) just go at them with paint stripper. Apparently the orange comes off and they are a matt black colour underneath!!!! I kid you not, I think they were painted by the same people that fitted the bright switch..... Now where did I put my solar powered torch???? Found it, next to my chocolate fire-guard.

H.
Old 30 September 2001, 09:53 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

OK, I will have a go with some Halfords silver paint and some lacquer. Clear indicators and repeaters arriving this week (hopefully), together with fog-light blanking plates. I might then have a go at getting an Evo-style number plate over one of the foglights (current numberplate is cracked).