ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Legally,where do I stand.

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2002, 01:03 AM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Wondered if anyone could shed any light on this,tonight has been the last straw.Each night between 11.30 and 12ish i come back from the g/friends along the same road doing the same speed of 30mph.I know this as its only 1mile from the misses and the engine temp needle doesnt move for 3ish miles in this cold,so i dont take it over 2500ish rpm until warmer.
Anyhow in the last 5-6weeks ive been pulled by the same panda car with different police in it 5 times,each time in the same stretch off road.Now all police lovers will say that if my car was stolen I would be the first person to be glad of the police stopping me to make sure its not nicked!
1-If it was being nicked theres no chance while your a***hole points downward that a joyrider is going to do 30mph for a mile with the police in their 306diesel peugeot behind,nor is there any chance they would catch an Impreza in one of those.
2-Due to the car being cold plus im usually knackered, its never going the speeds that could warrent the police pulling you,saying there was suspiscion that the vehicle may be stolen due to the speeds it was being driven.
3-Its the only scooby floating round the area at that time of night and not as if theres 4 or 5 silver ones that have been speeding and i was pulled by mistake.
The excuses range from"weve had reports of a silver subaru stolen tonight and thought it may be you"(yeah right officer).
Just a routine check,is this your vehicle.Stopped 3 times on this excuse.
Tonights one that pi***d me right off was,that as i was coming to an island ,the police car was coming off the island and saw me and virtually handbrake turned right round behind me,followed me for 1mile,put the lights on,pulled broadside next to me and said with a big smirk on his face"do you know your fogs are on and blinding everyone".No there not i replied as ive a green light on the dash that tells me when they are on.So they drive their car to the front of mine ,then reversed and smiled and said "oh im sure they were" At this point i slammed it into 1st and booted it away enough to sink the back of the car right down.F*** im nicked now,pulling away full speed while the copper was in mid sentence.To my astonishment-nothing,they just turned the car around and drove back off the way they wrer originally going.
Sorry for the massive long windedness,but does anyone know how i stand legally with this b4 i waste a phone call to my brief,cos this is seriously taking the p*** now and the smirks and grins just tipped the scales tonight.
Regards Gene
Old 08 November 2002, 01:09 AM
ALY
Scooby Newbie

I knew of someone who wrote the chief ****stable to complain that they were being pulled constantly for no good reason (bored pigs & modded car). He had a letter back which he was to produce every time he was stopped, along the lines of leave this person alone. After a couple stops and production of the letter to the local plod, he's been fine since. Can but try!
Old 08 November 2002, 01:14 AM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Question

misses
Old 08 November 2002, 01:15 AM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Somone else had said to send a letter to the station stating all vehicle details etc,so i might try that.
Im not being anti police but its the same 1mile stratch of raod at the same time each night.Ive never been pulled in any other part of Birmingham or the rest of midlands once,and ive had unmarked Senators,T5 and police bikes follow me and never a problem.
Cheers Gene
Old 08 November 2002, 01:17 AM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Numptie,
G/frind,missus or misses couldnt work out which.!!!!
Old 08 November 2002, 01:32 AM
LEGACYTURBS
Scooby Regular

I got a pull the other night by to lady copper's. The thing is they were in an astra i saw them drive past me the other way and turn around, as i turned the corner to the junction i was thinking fooking subarus. Anyway the police ladys were taking the **** saying 'is it a beast then' at which point i instructed her that the legacy is a workhorse because i don't want to get the interior in my porka covered in dog hair, she laughed(like i was a joker). Asked if i'd been in trouble before, did a person and vehicle check. The radio came back with my name, address, d.o.b, reg-K112...silver subaru legacy, reg-ACU...purple porsche 911 formentioned is registered keeper on both.
Well it was all p's and q's after that, and goodnight sir!
Point is i chillin, minding my own business, not speeding. It pi$$ed me off and i wanted to introduce 3rd gear until 7000rpm rendering the 1.4 astra panda car outclassed, but having nowt to hide i stopped.
10/10 for showing them 1st gear.
Old 08 November 2002, 01:38 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

My brother had a similar problem. He and his mates got pulled three times in one night. The car they were in was in good order and insured/taxed etc. The police excuse each time was that a similar car had been stolen that night. The same car pulled the twice within half an hour and both times they searched the car and treated my brother and his mate like potential criminals.

My brother put in a written complaint the next day. He later recieved a call from the police telling him that it was being looked into. He said that was not good enough and wanted to speak to someone at the station. Despite him not even being the owner/driver of the car, they agreed but asked him to bring his details to the station (trying to pressure him i think).

He got an interview with a senior officer. The officer just said the same as the police officers who pulled them over and was just trying to fob my brother off with some sorry excuse, thinking that my brother was just some silly layabout student. The officers attitude changed to the defensive/apologetic when my brother mentioned that he'd jusy finished his law degree. A week or so later he got a written apology from the officer who pulled them over. His mate didn't get pulled since.

My advice to you to avoid becoming a victim would be to (if you can) get a video cam and record your trip home for a few weeks (make sure the speedo is in view), make sure that evertime you get pulled it's recorded by the police.

Also, put in a strong written complaint and mention that you may take the matter further if this treatment continues.
Old 08 November 2002, 01:43 AM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Fair play to you lEGACY,Was thinking of parting with £85 and sticking a flamer kit on it and waiting for the next panda car to tailgate me,hold it at 6000rpm with the clutch in and see if i can melt the stickers on the front of it.
One way to guarrantee a cosy night in the cells i suppose
Gene
Old 08 November 2002, 01:59 AM
LEGACYTURBS
Scooby Regular

FLAME KIT, sweet

selotape you m.o.t, licence, insurance docs to the rear window and maybe a large photo copy of your picture of your passport aswell.
Old 08 November 2002, 08:29 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

roflmao Nice! I'm not too bad with the police where i live, i do however kinda attract the attention with non conforming sidelights. Been pulled hmmm lets see...probably 10 times in all with slaps on wrists and £30 quid fines. A few i got off with because i know a policeman (nice bloke) and a few which i ripped up. I dont pay the fines and well haven't heard anything back from them yet! Eventually though they will catch up with me and i'll have to shed out £200 odd quid lol!

I guess that the impreza for some stupid reason has people feeling jealous as you drive by. I've had people throwing stuff at my car like boulders, stones, money lol!

Most Police persons think "boy racer", "trouble car", "stolen" & "drug dealer" when they see one driving past. I'm lucky because if i had conforming lights then i dont think i'd be pulled. But then again i do have a good few friends on the force!

If i were you i'd drive along the road more at that same time of night and when the police do pull a further 2/3/4 times i'd definately say "would you like to accompany me at the station lads as i'd like to speak with your officer commanding about the take the pi$$ times you have pulled me in the last week or whatever". Follow it through and make them look like monkeys, give them the car details and basically state if any more attempts to pull you without due reason will result in you contacting your brief for harassment charges!! See what they think of that

lol i'll bet you dont get pulled much anymore
Old 08 November 2002, 09:11 AM
BaldyMan
Scooby Regular

Cool

when i first got me scoob - every night wihtout fail

happened for a month - until i took the plod(s) name(s) and number(s) and threatened to write a letter of complaint to their supperior officer

funny it never happened again
Old 08 November 2002, 10:17 AM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

Wink

When one of those bi*ch *** *****'s try's it on again, just pull out the a-ki and pop a cap in his ***.

...been watching menace 2 society too much
Old 08 November 2002, 10:43 AM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Krankyd,i think you need a sedative!
Am ringing the police station today to get the name of the officer to address the letter to so as it doesnt get lost through the system,and will buy some ink for the printer to make sure it doesnt run out with the essay ill send them.
Take it the under car neons had beeter stay onthe shop shelf then!
Gene
Old 08 November 2002, 02:02 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

I got 8 HORTS in the first 3 months with mine, 7 of which were for no fault of my own and i have never been given any endorsemants or fines. I am only 21, and before any body asks, no i dont drive it like i stole it. They to say i will be glad if any stole the car, they would recognise that it wasnt me driving.

Any way, a letter after the 5th HORT to the chief constable, this prompted a similar reply like those in the panda cars gave.

Then left it with a soliciter who mad enoises like HARRASMENT and so on, and i have never had any bother since.
Old 08 November 2002, 02:32 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

In three months I got pulled nine times, in and around Watford.

The reasons ranged from "sounding like I was speeding" to breaking the speed limit, I was doing 27mph (according to the VSD) and he was tail gating me.

I went to the Police station and demanded to see the officer in charge. He was all, defensive of the officer until I pulled out all the dates, registration plates and some of the officer's numbers.

He did have the good grace to loop suprised and embarressed when I told him about being told I could be arrested if I didn't produce an MOT certificate for my car (registered in March 2001)!

I got a letter of apology and nothing since. In fact since then I have been really nice to the local area cars (strange I was never pulled by traffic) and wave to them!
Old 08 November 2002, 07:50 PM
wrxmark
Scooby Regular

Not that I can speak about individual cases but here is my experience of criminals in scoobs.
Stolen WRX chased for 1 hour in and around the West London area only for it to be aimed at a panda and then punching its way through the front of the car injuring the occupants of the police car.
Being baited by stolen scoob driving past the police station at warped speed.
Dealers using the scoobs to outrun police cars. You name it the scoob is a bit like the Jag in the 60s
Criminals love em.
With regards to stops, cars get knicked before they are reported, drink drive etc etc. So you are doing 30 for a mile or so whilst I am behind you.Usaully this means we are monitoring your driving, drink drive usually show up as drivers doing 30mph or under.That is just one of many reasons. At the end of the day the officer has no idea what he has got until he speaks to the driver. Even on speaking to driver you may find grounds to deal with another offence.
The bottom line is this.
The law states that a police officer can stop any vehicle and require the driver of that vehicle to produce his driving licence. That is the only reason we need to stop a motor vehicle.
To be honest with if we were to explain that every time we stopped someone then maybe the sort of people posting here may not feel so persecuted.
If you do feel that you are being harrassed then persue it. Is it the same copper, at the same time etc etc.

But try to look at the bigger picture and ask yourself if some of you are being a little sensitive.

Rule of thumb stopped by traffic then expect no mercy.

With regards to 8 HORT/1 after the first 3 or 4 did you not think to carry your documents with you.
I pay £1000 insurance at the age of 33 and you are 21. I stop you and you have no doc then you get a producer dude. Sorry but I think others here will understand.
As for the ******* sons amongst or ranks, yep but so was my dad. Thats Life....

[Edited by wrxmark - 11/8/2002 7:59:24 PM]
Old 09 November 2002, 12:05 AM
Attu
Scooby Regular

I must admit ive never had any trouble, maybe its because the cops in Notts also drive Subaru Impreza's ?? or maybe its cos i look old
Ohhh just thought the only time ive been followed was when driving around Notts with MATTeL following me ...he must be jinxed

Andy
Old 09 November 2002, 12:24 AM
gene1
Scooby Regular

So Mark!
If the police officers on this 1.5mile stretch of road at the same time every night either dont like the look of me or my car,want to stop me because they can(as you just pointed out)want to make up pathetic excuses that my lights are on,and then laugh when they know they are off,or just plain bored and cant think of anything else to waste 3or 4 minutes of everyones time,then ive just got to put up with it cos i might be a little sensitive.
Thats b*****s,just because the law in its infinate wisdom says they can,doesnt mean that repetative examples of the power they carry and exert are correct and should be tolerated.
If its justified then ok,but this isnt sensitive on my part its becoming pathetic.
Oh and forgot to say that i was driving in the same area again this evening down a stretch of road infected with speed bumps where one party has the right of way over the other according to the road signs,doing a poxy 15mph over them for the sake of having some of my de-cat exhaust left.As i crawled over the bump glanced right at the 3cars waiting to go the other way and the 3rd car is the police in their 306 diesel Peugeot,as i looked in my door mirror they had already put it in reverse to spin roung in the road for "hot pursuit"only to be boxed in by a car following them.
Now what an earth was the point in that,totally unprovocted,but you say its ok because they can.
Well ive been given the name of the officer at Solihull who will deal with a written compaint letter resulting from these events and it will be with him by next week.
Gene
Old 09 November 2002, 09:05 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Angry

both times my car was vandalised-car spoiler and cd player police were useless withcomments like "we know who did it but cant prove it" or "that looks like it will cost a lot"-absolutely useless,just my opinion
martin
Old 09 November 2002, 12:06 PM
ScoobyKev
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a Toyota Celica GT4 WRC, you never get pulled over. I guess cus its in a class of its own, only jo king

Regards

Kev..
Old 09 November 2002, 01:05 PM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Thought they only were any good on scalextric!!!!!!!
Old 09 November 2002, 05:55 PM
S1mon76
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just been reading your replys. I had six policemen in full body armer have a look at my car. It was a few years ago i just come out of work with my mate(i was taking home) i got to the end of the carpark and noticed i still had the work keys in my pocket. So i turn around and droped them off. I got back into my car started to drive off i then got dazzled by a big van with it's lights on full beam. I slammed on my breaks and thats when six policemen jumped out of the van and started to look around my car. The policeman who was asking me all of the questions was not the sharpest tool in the box. He was asking me and my mate do you work here( i was a lifeguard at the time and had LIFEEGUARD writen over my top and we was in the swimming pools carpark) and stuff like where do you live and why are you giving him a lift (no really he was). I had to bit my tongue more than a few times. Then they just left, no sorry, no sorry for wasting your time, nothing. But when my car gets stolen do the police help No, when i get attacked out side my house do the police come out NO, when my Nans window gets broken do the police come out you guessed it NO. Sorry to rant but i think that most of the time the police are just a waste of time and have to much power and time on there hands.