Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

selling a car - advice

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2001, 01:12 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
folk, i'm looking at selling my integra, but i've never bought or sold privatley (apart from sub £1000 2 stroke bikes) and have a couple of incredibly basic questions (sorry for the depth of stupidity I'm about show here...) -

first, my assumption is that test drives are off the agenda. I will drive the car with the prospective buyer beside me, but they do not get to sit behind the wheel. Is this standard practise ?

second - payment (here's hoping...) I'm assuming that bankers drafts are the only form of payment thats acceptable - £14 - 15,000 or so in used £5 notes will be a bit of a nightmare, i dont accept credit cards ( ) and wouldnt trust a cheque. am i missing something ?

Anything else i should be aware of ?

ta

jon
Old 27 September 2001, 01:54 PM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

I think a couple of things that came out of Lizzywizz's M3 carjack thread were,
Get photos of any prospective buyers, and tell them to scarper if they refuse.
Try and arrange for there to be enough fuel for the test drive only, and take a mobile with you, and if possible, get a friend to follow.

I'm not sure if Banker's Drafts are 100% reliable anymore, I'd try and get the buyer to go with me to the bank before handing keys and paperwork over.

Martin.
Old 27 September 2001, 02:01 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jon,
I wouldn't buy a car without a test drive. It is hard to balance safety with the need to sell, but you will be unlikely to sell it without a test drive. Some people take photographs of prospective test drivers, then leave the camera at home. Also a good idea to leave very little petrol in the car in case of hi-jacking etc. If they are going to hi-jack you it won't matter if they are driving or not really.

2. Bankers drafts can be forged as well. If they are going to buy the safest way is to acompany them to the bank. They can draw the draft or cash or just sign a straightforward transfer. The bank can confirm this immediately.

Make sure you transfer the registration to the new buyer. I didn't do this for a mini about 10 years ago and i still get NIP's and parking fines posted to me. DVLA have agreed that it isn't my fault and they wont prosecute, but it is a hassle.
Old 27 September 2001, 02:02 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

M_D_B - are you sitting behind me or something?
Old 27 September 2001, 02:27 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Get a big friend (or two) to come along for the ride and sit in the back. Best if they are in the car the whole time so the potential buyer can't drive off with the car.
Old 27 September 2001, 02:46 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

i'm reasonably comfortable with the car-jacking thing; being over six foot with a glasgow accent helps. I guess my feeling is that your average thief would rather go elsewhere i'm also conscious of it, so if two guys just want to go for a drive alarm bells will ringing.

anyway - my worry wrt to test drives is if they damage the car - it would be a nightmare to try and sort it out

has anybody every sold a car privatly and let the prospective buyer drive it before cash has been handed over ?

Old 27 September 2001, 02:47 PM
Chris_Warburton
Scooby Newbie

Take a look at :

Trending Topics

Old 27 September 2001, 04:11 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

thanks - pretty much exactly what i was looking for

jon
Old 27 September 2001, 04:44 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

test drives......hhmmm tough one.

Personally, I think you should drive it, do all the things they ask like brake hard floor it etc. If the cars is sound they may not need a test drive but if there's the slightest noise they will immediately assume the worst i.e. problem which you know how to keep at a minimum noise by driving hard or like a girl etc.

Once at a garage I started a car up, the cat was all rattly, I know cos' the car I just wrote off had the same noise and just before I sank it I had it looked at. The dealer started revving the car really hard 5-6k revs saying I can't hear anything (no **** a Ford @6k revs isn't eaxactly quiet and refined), then when I kept on he started saying it might just be the surround around it!!! The experience told me people will lie, quite openly, so any niggles you want to get checked out, and, not be able to actually drive the in some peoples eyes may think your hiding something.

Food for thought?
Old 27 September 2001, 08:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test drives - I take the car to some private/common land - an airfield is great .. then they can try everything out - I then drive it home. I would NEVER buy a car without ME test driving it first, so I need to respect others need to do the same.

Bankers draft is fine - on ONE condition, the actual sale takes place at a time when the issuing bank is open - a quick call will confirm the draft is genuine and the amount is correct (you just provide the draft number)

Just look at the prospective buyers - be VERY wary if they do not give the car a very good look over FIRST - if they are just interested in a drive then I wouldnt entertain them

Pete
Old 28 September 2001, 09:39 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by pslewis:
<B>Test drives - I take the car to some private/common land - an airfield is great .. then they can try everything out - I then drive it home. I would NEVER buy a car without ME test driving it first, so I need to respect others need to do the same.
[/quote]

mmm... 'cept i live in central london (wapping) - i don't think it would appreciated if i start driving around city airport... I dont know of anywhere like you're suggesting (except up at Ardrossan Marina - but 450 miles is a bit far to travel...)

someone must have sold a car in London - whats the deal ?

jon
Old 28 September 2001, 02:34 PM
Chris_Warburton
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jon hill:
<B> mmm... 'cept i live in central london (wapping) - i don't think it would appreciated if i start driving around city airport... I dont know of anywhere like you're suggesting (except up at Ardrossan Marina - but 450 miles is a bit far to travel...)

someone must have sold a car in London - whats the deal ?

jon[/quote]

Get in touch with one of the many car programmes on TV and convince them to make a feature of selling a valuable car privately....Then if the car does get stolen/damaged all you have to do is wait until the programme comes on the telly to obtain some video evidence and a few million witnesses ;-)

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris_Warburton (edited 28 September 2001).]