Got the Fear!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2002, 09:39 AM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Chaps,

After reading a few links about engine rattles and piston slap i am now very afraid of a new noise my MY98 WRX import has.

From cold it has a very light rattle/tap noise, you can only hear it from inside the cabin, if you open the door or even put your head under the bonnet you can't hear it.

its when stationary, lightly reving the car to approx 1800 rpm, the noise starts at 1200 and is gone at 2200

I emphasise it is very light and used to go after a few mins driving, but now is always there.

car has done 26000 miles

i use Optimax for every fill up.

please tell me it's something like the injectors clicking open and to stop reading engine noise related articles!!
Old 06 November 2002, 09:55 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Surely it cant be engine related if you can only hear it in the car, and not under the bonnet????

Sounds to me like you have a pen rolling around in your passenger door or something

DW
Old 06 November 2002, 10:07 AM
RayC
Scooby Regular

unfortuanlty you can only hear it when gently revving the engine from standstill.

I take it piston slap is audible from the engine bay?
Old 06 November 2002, 10:34 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Wink

I get this noise when stationary with light revs, sounds like a rattling bearing or the like, but it’s just the boost solenoid, dealers say “they all do that sir”.
This sits on the driver’s side wing next to the suspension top mount (this is on an UK model, so I guess it’s in the same place on an import) and seems to amplify into the cockpit. Sounds to me that you’re getting the same thing. If you pop the bonnet and put your ear near the suspension top mount and give the car very light revs (100 to 200 rpms), you should hear it making a light clicking noise.
There could well be light at the end of the tunnel.
Cheers.
Ian.