Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Chains Required?

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2002, 09:41 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The approach road up to Glenshee from the south is quite steep (for the last mile or two) and even if there isn't, or perhaps I should say isnae muckle snow doon the glen, you could find the road is covered at the end if there has been some overnight snow.

Never skied at Glencoe or Nevis Range myself as it was always too far from Aberdeen but I've passed through both in the summer. It makes sense to consider these 'resorts' as the drive up from the south isn't too bad and the scenery in Glencoe in particular is brilliant....

Keep the chains in the boot. I had problems on black ice in my Scoob once as I tried to cross the cairn 'o Mount a couply of years ago and had to turn back. I just couldn't get up the last 200M. All four wheels were spinning and when I turned around to go down, I really thought I was going to have an off and ended up driving down the side of the road with two wheels on the verge/heather as that was the only grip I could find.

In retrospect, I blame my almost dead summer tyres but I'm not sure if chains would have been the answer as black ice is bad news with Scooby ABS...

[Edited by Stephen Read - 11/6/2002 9:48:50 AM]
Old 06 November 2002, 07:46 AM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

I will be taking the scoob to Scotland, prob Glenshee. Havign driven in foreign ski resorts, I am thinking that some snow chains would be useful!

Anybody have any experience of driving at/to ski resorts in Scotland? Looks like the roads could get mighty slippy!
Old 06 November 2002, 08:04 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

I have some from when I went skiing in France last year. Tried putting them on and it was relatively easy but no actual need to use them.

Got mine from www.roofbox.co.uk at a price a lot less than Halfords and much quicker delivery.

Dave
Old 06 November 2002, 08:18 AM
clubby
Scooby Regular

I have skied at Glenshee quite a lot, and would expect you wont need snow chains on your scoob. They tend to close the gates either side of Glenshee if the weather closes in and the road gets too bad.

Compared to the big European ski resorts, Glenshee is at comparitively low altitude, which means the snow doesnt hang around for too long. This obviously helps the road conditions.

If you get plenty snow, and nice weather it is an excellent place to ski. Go through the week and avoid the crowds, and avoid the school holidays - unless you like queueing.

I would stick them in the boot just in case.
Old 06 November 2002, 09:53 AM
clubby
Scooby Regular

Stehen

Cairn O' Mount can be very interesting in winter. I've had some interesting moments on that road, great drive in the summer though.
Old 06 November 2002, 10:14 AM
JohnS

It's very unlikely that you'll need snow chains. I had a cracking drive over the Glenshee road on Sunday (and back again ). Great piece of road if you get it nice and empty!

There are snow gates in place at Braemar, and also on the south side as well. Generally, if a normal road car couldn't make it there are back safely, then they'll close the gates, and most likely post up details of the road closure at either end as well.

The council are very good at keeping the road open though, and it's usually only after high winds and drifting that it will be closed, and then normally only for a few hours at most. You wouldn't want to be skiing during these conditions either, and you be best sitting around an open coal fire in your hotel drinking whisky

John
Old 06 November 2002, 10:21 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Clubby, It's great isn't it. I hail from Banchory and used to use the 'chory>Fettercairn road as my personal Nurburgring

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2002, 10:53 AM
clubby
Scooby Regular

Stephen,

I'm a Banchory man myself, left the Academy in 1980 which makes me 39ish. I live in Newmachar now, but need little excuse to take a detour over the cairn.
Old 06 November 2002, 01:01 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Dave P,

These ones (205/50/R16):

RUD Grip chains no. 01-179
Code: RD01-179
Our Price: £48.00 per pair

I think i will invest just in case! I think I will be spendign quite soem time up in Scotland.........visiting the inlaws!

Cheers

Matt.
Old 06 November 2002, 03:04 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

those are the babies I think and they go on the front wheels...

also fit the MY02 which was handy as I changed mine so don't need to buy new ones
Old 06 November 2002, 05:27 PM
sexy-blue-scoob
Scooby Regular

Cool

I am up north nearly every weekeknd during the winter months as I run a charitable ski club.

I wouldn't bother with chains - have never needed them yet. The roads are cleared here very quickly - and if the weather is that bad you won't want to go anywhere anyway !!

I worked in France for a couple of years and drove up to many ski resorts - I had to used chains a lot them - but I have never used them in this country.

The Scoobs 4WD works well - and the further north you go - the more scoobs you see.
Old 07 November 2002, 12:49 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Even with normal snow falls you will not need chains unless there is a lot of drifting and the council has difficulty keeping the road open at which time the road is closed. It is not like driving in the Alps.
With chains should you use them speed is restricted to 30 mph.
I have a set for sale at £30 if you still feel you need them.