ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Running in questions

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2002, 07:14 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Well I now owe the bank a very large sum of money which I'll be paying back for the next four years but I really think it's worth it! I know that there a people on the bbs that say the wrx has lost something over the older model but as a Sport owner (R reg) I can't compare exactly like for like but I really like the new one!

Anyway, I've got the first 400 miles on the clock and have been trying to drive like a granny and keep under 4,000 rpm (that is so hard!) but having never had a new car before am a bit puzzled about how to best run it in. I've been doing the 'varying' rpms etc but at what point can I start to enjoy it? Is it ok to gradually have a bit of fun or do I have to wait for the 1,000 mile service before I can - eg, is the running in oil not suited to faster driving etc?

The guy in the garage said that after the first few hundred miles you can drive normally, but I want the car to last, it has to!

Cheers!

:-)

Mike
Old 03 November 2002, 07:42 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

After about 500miles I start to use a few more revs garage told me not to redline it under any circustances and defo not to labour the engine. Make sure the engine is nice and hot and warm before exceeding 3000rpm (even when run in). Driving at 2000rpm aint gonna run it in either. My approach was to use upto 4500 rpm from 500-750 and 4500-5000rpm as I approach 1000 miles. When driving along I didnt suddenly floor it but more a progressive sweep and then drop back below 4000rpm, as long as you are sensible you should be okay. NOTE this worked for me but this is just my opinion and experience so if it goes pear-shaped DONT blame me.
Old 03 November 2002, 07:56 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that! Pretty much what I assumed. I never go over 2,500 rpm in anything until quite well warmed up anyway.

I had to have a very short blast today to avoid an incident but it was very short, praying that won't do any harm!

Mike
Old 03 November 2002, 08:07 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

LOL@Mike!!!

Enjoying the car then

It's very difficult to keep the car at low revs A service dept (who shall remain nameless!) said that some of the BEST/Fastest Turbos they've had were the demonstrator cars - they'd been thraped from day 1....... AND they were still going strong!

Pretty much mirror what others have said - keep it sensible until 1K service. Just bear in mind how many miles you do - that should take you about a week!!!!

I'm driving a Lexus IS200 until mine's prepared (end of week) - eeeeeeuuuuuurrrrrrggggghhhh!!!! It's NOT my cup of tea, but it's free. Can't complain too much!!

Nice wheels though!

Will give you a shout this week and see what your up to - you can buy me a pint as my commission!

Dan

PS any news on those exhibition boards?
Old 03 November 2002, 09:45 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Hiya Dan!

Wot, you've ordered one too?!!! :-) Yep, a visit up to your neck of the woods would be a nice drive on non motorway roads etc, mid/end of the week or are you teaching? I've got the first 1,000 mile sevice next Monday so I'll have to do some miles in the Sport :-)

Cathi who has those boards for you is going soon, about to 'drop the sprog' , so we'd better get cracking - call me when you can so we can sort it!

Enjoy your Lexus!

Mike
Old 03 November 2002, 11:47 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

Having had 10 new vehicles (cars and motorcycles) the past 16 years
I must say that it really doesen“t matter wether you run them in or not. As a former Danish road-racing champ I used to give them hell from the beginning and that was never a problem. However, since I had a ****ty Volvo S60 T5 with A LOT of problems, 20 all in all, I did run in my new WRX “01 according to owners manual and look what kind of problem I have now (see post about engine noise
WRX “01)
Claus