Sponsored by:

Arrgh! - Emergency Advice Needed - Foreign Object Damage

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2002, 06:50 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Coming off m'way slip road and car in front threw up a flat piece of metal about 18" x 4" which (luckily?) speared itself straight through (ie end on) the black plastic grille and into the oil cooler.

It's bent the oil cooler back towards the radiator, but not as far as touching it, so that when you look down its convex towards the back of the car. There is evidence of oil leakage around the bent fins but its not dripping out from anywhere.

So, some questions:
- is it, in fact, the oil cooler?
- if was holed, is the oil under sufficient pressure that it should leak out somewhere when the engine is running
- can I drive it, carefully, to the garage in this state (about 8 miles) - whilst watching the temps obviously?

Advice appreciated - it's gonna be a real logistical pain getting us both to work tomorrow
Old 28 October 2002, 07:06 PM
Active
Scooby Regular

Question

Are you sure it`s not the air con radiator?
Bob
Old 28 October 2002, 07:09 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Question

Which plastic grille did it spear through? The one between the headlights, or the one in the bumper, between the foglights?

Editted to say; also what colour is the fluid?

[Edited by CrisPDuk - 10/28/2002 7:09:54 PM]
Old 28 October 2002, 07:27 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

Unlucky

I wouldn't recomend driving it anywhere with a fluid leak, to protect your own car first of all but also to avoid hazards for other road users

It's prolly the air con rad at the front, it contains gas so prolly won't appear to be leaking, however, there is also a small amount of oil in there too, to lubricate the compressor so there is a risk of damaging it by running the engine.
Old 28 October 2002, 08:15 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Ah, air con rad - hadn't thought of that.

It's very large - like the width of the water radiator and almost as high, so on reflection, it's far too big to be an oil cooler - well, compared with what I used to know as oil coolers anyway.

The grille is the black big plastic 'mesh' one between the headlights - with the Subaru grill badge on.

So if it's the air con rad, then presumably it is OK to drive?

And the bad news - any idea of cost to replace - and I guess re-fill the aircon system..if that's what has to be done???

Edit - colour of fluid - well all there is at the moment is a bit of oil (mucky grey). A few seconds after the impact, a 'spray' of something came out (like when a radiator bursts on a WRC car!), but that only lasted a few seconds. Consistent with air con 'fluid' ? - or whatever it is, maybe?

Edit 2 - re running the engine with no aircon fluid. If the aircon is off (ie button by heater not pressed in), does that run the compressor? I think I don't understand aircon systems

[Edited by MartinM - 10/28/2002 8:25:28 PM]
Old 28 October 2002, 08:27 PM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like air/con rad.

Rads are expensive.
your main problem as it's punctured, is moisture. It'll fill up the accumulator in this weather, they act like a sponge for the system, preventing moisture in the gas.

You can run the car, DO NOT turn the air/con on. Loss of lube oil, will cause the compressor to lock up(end of) and tear the belt up.

Old 28 October 2002, 11:34 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Martin,

I think MarkF has a spare aircon rad, he may be willing to part with it if you need one.

DaveW.
Old 29 October 2002, 07:46 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

DaveW

How do I get in touch with MarkF??

Martin
Old 29 October 2002, 09:38 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Definitely sounds like the aircon rad..

There guys at Midland Impreza advertise them second hand for 100notes.

I think a recharge with gas afterwards is around 90pounds depending on where you get it done.

I think there is another dedicated breakers.. but I cannot remember ... errrmmm Grade A thats it.. but I dunno a contact..
If I fiond it I shall post again.

You should be counding your lucky stars it could have been a lot worse mate.

JGM
Old 29 October 2002, 10:30 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

JGM2

Thanks. I think I'll probably go for new - rough estimates from dealer are £200 for rad, 2hrs labour, £60 gas recharge, £60 for grille - so I'll prepare myself for £500 Its all warranted then and it is my 13 mth old immaculate P1 after all

It could have been worse - three inches lower and ir would have destroyed the bumper (at least £750), three inches higher it would have been across the bonnet and into the windscreen exactly in front of my head. If it had been the latter, there's a possibility it would actually have come throught the windscreen - I have the piece, it weighs about 3lb and its like a 15" section of exhaust pipe thats been well runover so that its almost completely flat. It hit the grille exactly end on

Oh well, it's only plastic, metal and money at the end of the day...cr$p day though

Old 29 October 2002, 10:35 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

I understand what you mean if the car is only 13months old but get it done elsewhere and Subaru need never know

Wash my mouth out for suggesting such a thing.. :P

A guy on a bike was killed near me because an exhaust fell off a car and he hit it at 40mph and then hit a wall..

Car whose exhaust had falled off didn't stop..

JGM