Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is SIDC relevant?

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2002, 04:11 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok b4 anyone starts please note the question mark...

I joined earlier this year when I got my wrx.. nice magazine but to be honest most of the information/ articles are also on this bbs. No dealer near me offers members discount and I haven't got the dangly bits for track days.. Too worried about warranty issues..

I haven't renewed this time around and I wondered if I was really missing out on anything? Anybosy feel the same?
Old 28 October 2002, 04:22 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
i took out for the first year, but didnt renew, i dont feel like ive missed out on anything
Old 28 October 2002, 04:24 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Surely if you own a UK Impreza and use Subaru dealers for servicing you will save the money on servicing alone?

Old 28 October 2002, 04:27 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Davy, no dealers near me offer any discount to SIDC members.. Unless anyone knows differently? I'm near Huddersfield...
Old 28 October 2002, 05:01 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Don't Robinsons in Rochdale offer discount to SIDC members?
Old 28 October 2002, 05:17 PM
Jonathan Miles
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I didn't renew, no dealers near me make it worth while, I'm in Devon. I would if they did but they don't so I didn't! If you see what I mean
Old 28 October 2002, 05:19 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Yes Robinsons of Rochdale do offer a 10% discount to SIDC member for both servicing and parts for both UK and Euro spec cars

Richard
Old 28 October 2002, 05:27 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Rochdale I'm afraid is in L*ncashire! Don't have a passport to go over there... No seriously that is quite a way... and the opposite direction to work!
Old 28 October 2002, 05:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm still a member, though some do ask why, seeing as it's kinda known I'm not a big fan of the SIDC, plus, and not knocking them (for a change just joking ok!) but with scoobynet plus, I think you might save more on bits than with SIDC. OK, maybe not of servicing, but that does not apply to me anyway, as I've got a Jap import.

Will I renew? hmm, to be honest, I'm not sure. It is the only realy scooby club in the UK, but as I've not done a trackday, apart from spectating, it's not of much use, ok so TG is a good read, but as said, most of the stuff does appear on here.

The last two years have seen a change in the SIDC, for the good in most part, and I don't know what is planned for the forthcoming year as i was not at the AGM (bit far to travel from the USA )
Old 28 October 2002, 05:45 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Well if you want one on your doorstep you'll struggle. Last time I looked, Rochdale was only about 3 stops down the M62 from Huddersfield.
Old 28 October 2002, 05:57 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I'm guessing that those of you questioning whether the SIDC is worthwhile, weren't on the trip to the Isle of Man a couple of months ago. It was a total blast, easily justifying the cost of membership on its own IMHO. I can't wait to go back.

I've heard that Lancasters at Pangbourne do SIDC discounts; my MY00 is coming up for its cambelt service soon, so that should save me my membership fee too.

A.
Old 28 October 2002, 08:29 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Had a cambelt service last week S.I.D.C membership saved me 50quid off of my bill!!!! Payed for itself for 2 years.
Old 28 October 2002, 08:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Nope was not on IOM, and really did not want to go, thought it was a tad expensive, plus travelling from where I am was a wee bit too far. Sad I know, but there you go.
Old 29 October 2002, 10:44 AM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

I suppose I've always joined car clubs for the community spirit and support.. But all that is here on this BB..

I understand your comments about the annual event but like one of the other posters I thought it was a bit too expensive to justify.. Probably more used to car events where you take your tent! It did seem a little cliquey (<--- hope that's spelled correctly) as well. I wonder how many new members went along?

Anyways, I'm not complaining about SIDC, lots of respect for people who do this stuff on a voluntary basis, I just don't think it's for me..
Old 29 October 2002, 10:58 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Markus: Expensive?! It was one of the best value holidays I've ever taken. Ask anyone who was there whether it was worth it and I doubt you'll hear anyone claiming otherwise. Roll on next year...

A.
Old 29 October 2002, 11:14 AM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Not a direct response to Alpine's post, more a reaction to some related anti-SIDC material I've read on here recently ...

... and I've not read such shîte for a while.

I speak with tongue in cheek from the point of view of the SIDC Scottish chapter ...
  • Yeah thirty quid a year is a bit steep - jeez, that's nearly a whole tank of fuel !
  • There are never any properly organised events (apart from 6ish track days a year, a couple of karting events, IOM trip, weekly local meets, Tour D'Ecosse etc).
  • The committee members who represent me are useless but I can't be arsed to help.
  • The most constructive thing I can do is to bitch about the club on an unrelated BBS.

Get real people !

... and if you've got issues with SIDC, take them here - this is not the place.

Remember the what have the Romans ever done for us ? sketch in The Life of Brian ?
Old 29 October 2002, 12:17 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Alpine, your nearest dealer (and mine) is R N Golden's new place up at Lepton - unfortunately they don't do SIDC discount (though they did service my WRX straight away when I just walked in to book it, which was nice). AFAIK the nearest dealer who does SIDC discount is Bentley's in Sheffield, but it's a bit of a hike.

Old 29 October 2002, 12:57 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Rochdale I'm afraid is in L*ncashire! Don't have a passport to go over there... No seriously that is quite a way... and the opposite direction to work!
Its only about 15 minutes away on the A640
Old 29 October 2002, 02:05 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Numptie, I don't have issues or complaints about the SIDC. What I was wondering was if there was any value to the membership that I hadn't seen... It would apppear that to me the answer is no but clearly to you it's different.

I am sorry you consider asking a question to be Bitching, oh well horses for courses..
Old 29 October 2002, 02:21 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Alpine,

I said ... and I quote ...
Not a direct response to Alpine's post, more a reaction to some related anti-SIDC material I've read on here recently
I wasn't getting at you and I wasn't directly contradicting what you'd said ...

... your post made a valid point ...

... but for £30 a year FFS - what do you expect ?
Old 29 October 2002, 02:32 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Numptie, OK I've backed up my bus.. sorry..

The thing I look for, for my £30 notes, is community and people willing to advise/ help with ownership issues. My point, if there is one at all, is that I think this bbs covers all my requirements of a club..