Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2002, 12:45 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a (lower) age limit? I'm gonna be lookin to make purchase in the coming months (all being well ), but wonder if they will say HAH bugger off because I am under 25?

I'd be looking to get me a nice classic shape on an S or something... I've (test ) driven my boss's, but that's not the point

Andy
Old 28 October 2002, 01:31 AM
T3RBO
Scooby Regular

Just my view from traders I know...

Normally depends on individual dealer and if you look like a genuine buyer or just a boy racer

- what you turn up it also holds some ground ie Mk 2 Fiesta = NO
but most 'newish' cars will be a yes (shows you have some money!)

Most dealer refrained from under 25 but these days people tend to be fully comp and able to drive any vehicle third party... so shouldn't be a problem

Old 28 October 2002, 01:56 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I will be in my MY01 Fiesta Zetec-S. Owned by me. I wont be turning up in a baseball cap Would it be an idea to take me old man with me?

Andy
Old 28 October 2002, 02:52 AM
Rab
Scooby Regular

What age are you???, A lot depends on the dealer but if you are genuine you should have no problems.
Old 28 October 2002, 07:20 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

As a lot of people have said, it depends on the dealer.

When I was looking initially about 12 months ago for an Impreza I was 22, and some dealers were just not interested in letting me get near a car, however others could see that I was generally interested in the car, and allowed me to have a test drive.
Old 28 October 2002, 07:30 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Dress smart casual, turn up in a reasonably new car and go in and look as interested as you actually are. Ask lots of questions(even if you do know the answers), talk about money and possible discounts(but don't agree to anything) and then ask if you can book a test drive for a day or so ahead.

When they scoot off to get their test drive appointment book, ask casually if they have time to let you have one now. If they say no, either walk away or make an appointment.

You've got them by the S&C's then. You've expressed an interest in the car, talked about money(in general terms) and let them know you're serious by showing that you are prepared to wait a day or so for a test drive. Most 'test pilots' are'nt prepared to wait a day or so, so that will remove that doubt from their mind and the cheeky but casual, have you got time now? question will probably get you the test drive you want straight away.

Old 28 October 2002, 07:49 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

The Subaru garage I visted in Kent would let me drive a WRX but not an STI :-(

Although im only 20 years old I did have a nice newish car to p/x and was smartly dressed (I dont think a baseball cap and modified Nova would of got me as far), i was told that anyone 18+ could drive the WRX and any one 21+ could drive an STI (this covers you fully comp on the garages policy was what i was told) but this will probably be different at every garage.

Good Luck!

Old 28 October 2002, 12:14 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't mind driving one of the new models as I never have - but I was more thinking along the lines of if I found a second hand one I liked, are they just gonna say - tough you'll have to buy it if you want it. I'm 20 by the way

Andy
Old 28 October 2002, 12:45 PM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

try ringing before hand to book a test drive then when you turn up you know they have the time free so will be harder for them to say no.

Also makes it look like you are busy and need them to be organised (the sign of having a job??)
Old 28 October 2002, 12:59 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

FWIW, I was 22 and turned up at my local dealer in a vectra courtesy car (car had just been written off, not my fault) and they had no qualms about letting me out for a test drive in a MY00 Turbo Wagon, salesman had to come with me though.
Old 28 October 2002, 01:27 PM
ripmaze
Scooby Regular

Arrow

When I was looking round, I rang them in advance to express an interest in a specific car (I'm guessing most people have one they've seen in an advert/on a web site or at least have a budget). Get some information about the car from them, tell them how far you're travelling and imply you don't want a wasted journey because they talked crap . I had no problems getting test drives at 22 - in most cases they offered me them.
Old 28 October 2002, 01:35 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Have any of you tired phoning round for insurance yet
Old 28 October 2002, 01:40 PM
ripmaze
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yeah - Tesco (slightly cheaper than Direct Line usually but underwritten by the same people) or Greenlight are good for young drivers. Usually have to phone up too as the web forms often won't quote for young drivers on high performance cars.
Old 28 October 2002, 01:46 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

When I was about 20 I turned up to a garage and asked to drive my first ever scooby. I could tell the guy knew I was not in a position to buy it but I showed interest and he took me for a blast anyway. I've now got one, so in the long run I was an interested customer

Personally I think you can get a test drive in anything if your keen enough. I'm going to truddle into a BMW garage one day and say the scooby is boring me what are these new M3's all about They will play ball
Old 28 October 2002, 01:51 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

i was 19 when i showed up in my scoob for a service, and went out in the p1 for an hour for a burn about. that was fun
Old 28 October 2002, 02:03 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Wink

the scooby is boring me

I told you what you need and you will never be bored again when you are driving

AJ
Old 28 October 2002, 02:12 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wink

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Ptisssssssh, Splumf
Old 29 October 2002, 09:07 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

Smile

my wife and i turned up for our first look at a scooby in a b reg opel manta i had been given, i was interested in driving a scoob with a view to buying in two years time, couldnt get a test drive then but told to come back in a week, got back , both test drove a my97, including chucking it around the roundabout a few times with the salesman egging me on, picked the car up a week later, i was 28 and my wife was 23 then, since been back and test driven a rb5 wr and a p1 on my own, bought the p1, been back again and borrowed a sti 7 twice for the day, bought one after the second test drive
mark