Sponsored by:

Scum broke into my wife's car!

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2001, 12:02 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi, sorry to hear this as discussed by email this morning. Will keep my ears open...

Simon (also in Southampton area).
Old 14 September 2001, 12:10 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the words of wisdom Dan. I have e-mailed you.

Honk if you're ever driving on the M3-Colden Common road, I relatively near one of the hostelrys along there.

Laurence
Green MY98 5 Door, lowered with Gold 17"s (+ other bits)
Old 14 September 2001, 12:24 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The best way is to scare them off BEFORE they do any damage. A perimeter alarm is good for this. You can have em wired to an existing alarm so it beeps if someone approaches the car. You can also have a pager connected in this system to page you if the car is approached/touched. Theres a system coming in from the states that uses the mobile phone network as well.
Old 14 September 2001, 12:54 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Question

I did think about a perimiter alarm. Does anyone know of one that will attach to my current META 99T alarm?
Old 14 September 2001, 11:38 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Angry

It's not a Scooby but it is a Yellow Fiat Seicento with the full Abarth kit.

Some little b85tard broke into it last night by peeling the front door down. They then took out the interior light and proceeded to de-install the stereo.

I AM NOW REALLY P155ED OFF

The car is parked 5 feet from the house. I heard a noise and went out but saw nothing, they were obviously hidden in the car at that point paniking.

Around £700 damage done.

Only plus so far, they left a set of screwdrivers on the seat which are covered in fingerprints.

Downside my car was covered in fingerprints which leads me to believe they tried this first. They could be back.

What can we do? What right do these people have to steal and damage like this?

Thanks to Scoobynet for allowing me to rant away. Also, if you're offered a cheap Pioneer single-CD player cheaply in the Winchester/Southampton area let me know please.

On a serious note, I have a META 99T alarm on the scoob + NAVTRAK. Does anyone have any (serious) suggestions of improvements I could make?

Laurence
Old 14 September 2001, 11:52 AM
Dan Johnson
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Hey mate, I live in southampton (eastliegh) and many of my mates cars have been broken into, what they do is bang the look out with a screw driver... not matter what car it's so easy to do it this way. (why mine has been de-locked)

Obvious take the normal precautions, but if you are really worried, buy one of those CCTV things from argos, and wire it up to your VCR may sound extrem but then at least you will have a leg to stand on when/if it does get broken into.

On your scooby, get a snap off steering wheel, if you can't drive it you can't nick it simple. also wire up the horn to a switch.... so if the ignation is hot wired the horn will contiously sound, the thief will obivoulsy wonder why it's doing it and bolt it... and it will catch peoples attention. I will keep my ear to the floor about people offering stereo, as do all my mates, as soon as we find out it's nicked, all of Eastleigh's modified car owners go round and beat the living poo out of people like that.

Keep an eye out for me, I am the one with the blue nova, your can't miss me it has been re-sprayed and is the only done up 5 door in the world, and is 3 inch of the ground. Hope you catch em

Regards
Dan Johnson
Old 14 September 2001, 04:46 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

My other halfs car was also stolen off our drive a couple of weeks ago.We're in our bed at night (About 10ft above the car!) and they screwdriver the locks,break the steering lock and push it down the road before trying to start it.They fail to start it cos of the immobiliser.I have an MY01 living in the garage (She didn't put hers in the other garage that night!!!) and naturally I have been worried about them coming back for mine.
The week or so after the theft,I was up for more or less most of the night EVERY night at the window thinking they'd come back but never did. If they did,I woulda introduced them to my baseball bat without a second thought!)
Don't worry m8,as time goes by,you will get over it (I know I am doing so now but will still kick the **** outta them if ever I find em!)

We've now resorted to protecting our house more after the theft with things that are usually fairly obvious but most people forget or can't be bothered doing:

1. Install PIR security lighting on the driveway (It's possible to get some that have a chime which can plug into your house and you hear a noise in your bedroom if somebody was to activate the light!

2. NEVER leave car keys close to doors/windows where they can break in and steal em!

3. If you have a house alarm,use it each evening obviously omitting the upstairs zones etc!

4. Switch on garage alarms if you have em!

5. Finally,if you're fortunate enough to have a garage,then use it.Don't be lazy and wake the following day to see that the car has been damaged/stolen and think "****,Wish I'd put my car in the garage...."

Sorry for rambling on,but once something like this happens to you,it makes you think twice about things that you do!

Cheers,

Nick..

[This message has been edited by NickAdams (edited 14 September 2001).]
Old 14 September 2001, 04:53 PM
ChrisB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>1. Install PIR security lighting on the driveway (It's possible to get some that have a chime which can plug into your house and you hear a noise in your bedroom if somebody was to activate the light!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's an alternative school of thought that says lights let the scumbugs see what they are doing.

Hence, go for no lights and leave some milkbottles around for them to trip over.

ChrisB.
Old 14 September 2001, 05:19 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Hi Lawrence,

Long time no chat...........

Sorry to hear about the thieving scum. Glad that everyone is ok and only the car was only damaged not yourself or family.

Thanks to hearing your exhaust months ago, I copied you, now I've had the downpipe.... will it never stop.......

Actually that makes for an interesting point in this thread.... How about a group buy on de-locking the car doors. I know Plantie has just had his done so I'll ask him to post the details here....

J
Old 14 September 2001, 05:21 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

If you de-lock the doors, what do you do if the battery goes flat? (Or the battery on your remote)?
Old 14 September 2001, 05:32 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Ah Scoobysnack Ahhh.

Sorry to hear about your wife's car lpitt,
b***ards did it to mine 2 weeks ago.

Back to group buy.

I have had my Scoob de-locked. Looks quality ask Snacks. basically locks and rods removed and door handled filled and coloured coded to perfection!

Bargin if you ask me. If they break in, they break in. nothing we can do about it. However with this mod A, you put them off B, they don't try to punch your locks and do £500+ worth of damage to your door (you never get the door looking the same colour)

Carl - If you battery goes flat, then just call out the RAC. they will be in your car within 10 secs - makes you wonder! then just key in your immobiliser code and go and buy a new battery.

If interested I will get a price.

What do you think?
Old 14 September 2001, 05:58 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Plantie:
<B>basically locks and rods removed and door handled filled and coloured coded to perfection!

&lt;snip&gt;
they don't try to punch your locks and do £500+ worth of damage to your door (you never get the door looking the same colour)
[/quote]

Why can you not get the door looking the same colour, if you can get the bit where the locks were colour-coded to perfection?

(side note: I had a car stolen by this method, later recovered. When I went to change the locks I found the barrel was only held in by a spring clip across the back. It would have been a simple job to flip this off by sliding something down the window into the door, then the whole barrel would have come out. You'd think they'd try a bit harder to attach the locks to the doors.)

Old 14 September 2001, 07:44 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Thanks all.

Having the breakin was about the last thing I needed this week. Also had a panic Tuesday as my sister lives in Manhattan but was supposed to be flying to Boston on the day. Fun few hours locating her. Turned out she went early but was pretty shaken.

ScoobySnack, we really must meet up sometime soon. I didn't go for the downpipe but am now lowered with an HKS induction. Sounds pretty good. I'm in Bracknell at least one day next week.

Plantie, I am seriously considering the delock. Would like to see your car sometime.

Laurence
Old 14 September 2001, 08:19 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Which evening you free Lawrence?

Plantie if you can make it to mine that evening we can all meet up.......

Alternatively we are all meeting at the Crispin on Thurs 20th from 7.30pm onwards. The pub between Ascot and Legoland.....

J
Old 14 September 2001, 11:35 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Scoobysnack, you have e-mail

By the way, outside of TP where the hell is Carpe Diem?

L.