Sponsored by:

Are Subaru UK Having a laugh ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2002, 10:30 AM
DBT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I've just spoken to Subaru UK about registering the WRX which I received from Holland last Friday. That bit was no problem.... but when I asked a question about servicing, I was a bit pissed off... but maybe it's the normal.

Is an MY02 service interval 10K miles, or 1 year ?
The service book with my car is multilanguage, on a Holland (UK SPEC) car, it's 6 months, or 7,812 miles.

They said I have to get the car serviced every 6 months then to keep the warranty intact. Now I want to look after it, and I planned to have oil changes between services etc.. , but didnt' plan to have full services every 6 months, as I thought the interval was 10K or yearly, whichever comes up first....

Any thoughts ? Maybe I had it wrong in the first place.....

Cheers
DBT
Old 23 October 2002, 10:36 AM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

every 7500 miles or annually - 6 months is b*llocks.
Old 23 October 2002, 10:38 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

UK MY01/MY02 cars are now 1 year/10,000 miless.

It would appear that the Euro imports are on the original 6 months/7,500 miles.

I have also heard of Euro import owners being told to fit the Prodrive Performance Pack the car would have to go back to the dealer they got the car from originally.
Old 23 October 2002, 10:47 AM
DBT
Scooby Regular

Angry

Great, you're right Mattel, Subaru have just confirmed that aswell.. I just spoke to the local dealer this time, who are quite (surprisingly) upbeat about EU imports. They said it's 6 months or 7500, and no PPP. It has to go back to holland if I want it. That's sh*T ! I've only just got it and I've not even run it in yet, so today it doesn't bother me, in 3 months time, that's going to **** me off.
Old 23 October 2002, 11:33 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Find another dealer.

PPP has been successfully fitted to EU imports.

Sheesh, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face! To me it appears petty-minded, but I'm sure they have their reasons. My bets are that it's all down to who ends up providing the warranty.
Old 23 October 2002, 11:42 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Chiark - Personally I think you are right that IM are being a bit petty on this point, it must be down to who provided the warrenty for servicing.

The dealers gain on the servicing but lose out on PPP sales, very strange.

If a hypothetical Euro driver was not to worried about warrenty they could always fit hypothetically:
Samco hoses.
Third-party decat (from downpipe back) exhaust.
Third-party ECU.

If the car needed warrenty work done they could always switch the ECU back for the original.

A full-decat has caused issues on some of the 01/02 and could cause dealer to look harder at the car.

If you shop around (checking out the SNshop as well) it might actually work out cheaper than the £1600 for the PPP!

Of course this is just theory and not something I would suggest in practice.

[Edited by MATTeL - 10/23/2002 11:43:48 AM]
Old 23 October 2002, 11:47 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

IM (Subaru UK) changed the service levels for UK supplied cars in order to be more competitive in the fleet market. The EU cars still stipulate the 6mnth\7500 mile service intervals, so its if you have a UK car.

Playing devil's advocate:

IM have not made any money from your purchase of your EU WRX, which you have probably saved a nice little sum. In the case of Renault, VW etc, ultimately they are all the same company, but with marques such as Subaru this is not the case.

You therefore can appreciate why you wouldn't expect them to bend over backwards and help you, the PPP, as Chiark mentions has to warranted, IM won't want to cover your car.

For example, it is known that the Dutch importer will not replace a clutch that judders, even though IM regard it as a known problem.

You can't expect to take the savings from the EU and the benefits of having a UK car, and until block exemption is removed this will be the case.

Trending Topics

Old 23 October 2002, 11:53 AM
melon
Scooby Regular

DBT
The older service schedule was an oil change every 6 months or 7.5k miles and a 'service' every 12 months or 15k miles whichever comes first
You sure you're not getting confused over this? Still not as good as the UK WRX new schedule but if you were gonna change oil between anyway!

Possibly a way of Subaru UK justifying the extra cost over EU???

Have to agree with MattW on this one

just a thought...melon

[Edited by melon - 10/23/2002 11:55:54 AM]
Old 23 October 2002, 11:55 AM
navigator
Scooby Regular

dbt
why not talk to the dutch dealer and get his view. I got mine from belgium and it has a 3 yr warrenty (belgium only i think).The belgian dealer said 1 yr servicing was fine despite what service book said and the warrenty would be honoured.i didnt ask about ppp.
Old 23 October 2002, 11:57 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I have a EU import and took it for its 1000 mile service at my local dealer. When I asked them when the next one was due I was told it was 10k.
Also with regard to PPP, you may be able to have it fitted at Prodrive rather than carting it back across the continent.

Old 23 October 2002, 12:02 PM
DBT
Scooby Regular

OK Guys, I'll have a word with the Dealer. It is a 3yr Warranty, which is obviously a good thing, and worth sticking to the servicing etc... I dont know whether the 7500, is just oil. The service book isn't very helpful to be honest, I'll have a look at the manual when I get home tonight.

As for the PPP, I guess either way Holland Subaru own/have to honour my warranty ? In which case, why do Subaru UK give a damn about whether it has PPP or not ? or is that not the case ? Does Subaru UK honour my Warranty now ? in which case why is fitting PPP in Holland ok ? Sorry if that sounds stupid :0)

DBT
Old 23 October 2002, 12:09 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

As an aside, Subaru EU are starting to "rationalise" by getting rid of local companies. For example, Belgium and the Netherlands have now merged to be a single company, IIRC, and there was an announcement that they wanted to pull the EU distribution into one.

Whether that includes the UK is probably a source of much interest to the parties involved.

I should point out that this is mere speculation and conjecture on my part, and does not reflect anyone's opinion other than my own.
Old 23 October 2002, 12:13 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

In which case, why do Subaru UK give a damn about whether it has PPP or not ?

They don't - but they probably won't fit it for you in case Subaru Belgium stipluate they must fit it for warranty purposes.

When PPP for the 01 was in deman(when it was first released) IM would have probably ensured any UK car recieved it first. No that there is less of a wait, you may be able to pursuade your local dealer to fit it.

MJW - Disregard what the dealer says, follow the service book intervals. The UK cars have a different service book.
Old 23 October 2002, 12:38 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

note if you have a lease (and service is prepaid for) find a garage that does the service on MY01's still on 7.5K

my dealer does so at 22k miles im now in for my (paid for allready) 3rd service.

T
Old 23 October 2002, 12:53 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

OK, when I first got my MY02 I was in contact with Subaru Benelux over all these issues. As Chiark says "Belgium and the Netherlands have now merged to be a single company"

PPP - A UK dealer can fit it and some will, but they will warn you that it will invalidate your warranty. It's not IM but Subaru Benelux that are enforcing the "must be fitted in Belgium/Holland". They don't care which dealer just as long as they are from the Benelux group. A pain going over to Belgium but the plus side is that prices start at around £1250, the difference will give you a return ferry and lots of beer

Servicing - You must stick with the 7,500/6mnth servicing (and yes this is just oil and filter same as the old UK intervals), Subaru Benelux have explicitly stated this in a communication to me. A UK dealer may have said it's changed and be OK but wait and see what happens if you have to make a warranty claim, I'm sure he/she will deny all responsibility, leaving you stuffed

[Edited by boultsy - 10/23/2002 12:55:13 PM]
Old 23 October 2002, 01:13 PM
DBT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Boultsy, and good call. I work about 8 miles from Dover anyway.. so a trip on the ferry is no problem... and if it's £350 cheaper, then may aswell make a day of it :0)

DBT
Old 23 October 2002, 04:01 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

It's not IM that set the interval for parallel import cars, it's the impiorter.

David
Old 23 October 2002, 04:58 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Besides, I wouldn't want to leave the oil change for a year/10,000 miles anyway. IMHO (and many others), it needs more frequent changes than that anyway so I don't see the problem.

Matt
Old 23 October 2002, 06:02 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Shark, what if u imported yourself???
Old 23 October 2002, 06:29 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

chiark

If it comes from an EC country then it will have come through an official importer, and you have to stick to their intervals.

Direct from Japan, service it how you like, unless you have an insurance warranty. In that case you would have to stick to warranty co's interval. Normally 6 months, mileage intervals vary.

David
Old 23 October 2002, 07:31 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

The official importer being Subaru Benelux in this case