Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Non Scooby question - Red Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2000, 12:57 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will work fine, watch out the dye in the red diesel will take *ages* to flush out of the system. I can't imagine it'll be worth it for the mileage you'll be doing on "private" land.... or avoid all country areas/livestock/agricultural/horse shows
Old 15 February 2000, 11:52 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Can Red Diesel be used in a 306DT, I know its illegal however my other half has a 306DT and can get Red Diesel almost free. Will the car run on it ok, can it be mixed with normal diesel. For the purposes of this question the car will be used on private ground !
Thank you in advance.
Old 15 February 2000, 02:27 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Yep that's right, it's exactly the same. Only red has a dye is added so customs n excise can detect it when they dip the tank at spot checks. It's detectable one part per several thousand and "miles" is spot on when he says it's hell to shift out of the tank.
I worked in a HGV garage in a prevous life and people used to get tanks dipped quite often and lots of them used to get nicked as well...... one guy ran out of fuel on the M5 near bristol so in the dead of night he legged it across a feild and took some from a digger ...... got him out of trouble ....... but 3 months later he was stopped and dipped and they found traces of red derv .... big fine as well, he could'nt understand what he'd done ...... but he later told 'em in court he stole the fuel from a farm off the M5..... it did'nt help though !!

I only know of one car driver that got dipped though and that was because he was parked in a haulage yard and all derv vehicles were tested ..... he was OK !!

K
Old 15 February 2000, 03:18 PM
Oz
Scooby Regular

Question

Forgive my ignorance, but what is Red Diesel and why is it illegal to use?

Old 15 February 2000, 03:54 PM
JamesH-2
Scooby Regular

Talking

It is diesel for agricultural machinery that is subject to less duty (18p litre?). It is identical but has a dye in it that is designed to stop its abuse by non-agricultural users (excise avoiders!).
Old 15 February 2000, 06:43 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The fine incidentally ( should you get caught off your private ground !) will be the price of the car as they will impound it immediately and charge you ` THE FINE` to get it back.
Beware, because they randomly watch and observe outlets that have access to the red stuff.
K