ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Possum link or PE remap??

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2000, 06:20 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am looking to take my97 Sti to PE for an ECU remap to take advantage of the improved mpg and tourque increase but I hear alot of good things about the Possum link. PE tailor the remap to your particular car and you get it checked out on the rollers. So what advantage does the Possum link give over the PE solution? ..... or am I just being a t**t?

Stu
Old 13 February 2000, 06:34 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Wink

Could this be a wind-up I ask myself...

...hearsay suggests that PE are not currently remapping cars - do a search in the Drivetrain and Misc sections.

Possum Link is now getting much more popular - as an V owner this is the route I am likely to take.

So - do a search - read the plethora of threads on PE and Link and then speak to some of the users - Moray for PE and Tim for Possum as suggestions.

Rannoch
Old 13 February 2000, 06:45 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

Rannoch,
no wind up PE have had a dodgy batch of printed circuit boards so are not offering the service for a week or so. Im off to search the threads.

Cheers
Stu
Old 13 February 2000, 07:15 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Stu,

"dodgy circuit boards", is this what PE are stating ?.

Certainly ask Tim King for his opinion on the Possum, or Saj, Moray will certainly give you some insight into the Phase1.

I want to know more about the dodgy CB's.

Mark.
Old 13 February 2000, 07:20 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Should have put the Possum in when I bought the car and not waited, I have never driven a car with a PE remap so will not comment,Possum Awesome.

Saj
S3 WRC

[This message has been edited by Saj (edited 13-02-2000).]
Old 13 February 2000, 07:21 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I wonder If I have a dodgy board in mine.

OH well here we go again.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bob (edited 13-02-2000).]
Old 13 February 2000, 07:34 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Stupot/
As I am a generous lad you can have my PE Phase 1 for £200 and it will cost £150 for a remap there that saves you £350.
You can also have my T75 Downpipe & center section for half price that should give you 283 bhp and 276 lbs/ft torque.
Some laugh but the car will hit the rev limiter in 5th.
This is all PE gear mind you.

Bob.
Old 13 February 2000, 08:09 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

There have been some compaints about Scoobysort lately should I also sell my backbox.
Bob
Old 13 February 2000, 08:17 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

What is wrong with your scoobysport back box?

I have just had my Possum Link fitted to my UK MY99 today...and this replaces the Prodrive Pack i had....i should have got the Link from day 1...set up correctly (as it is by Bob Rawle)....its bonkers!

Sunil

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 13-02-2000).]
Old 13 February 2000, 08:30 PM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham with 620BHP & 530lb/ft @1.5bar boost on road fuel.
You have 2 choices for the Possum in this country Stu, Bob Rawle and ourselves.

We use a wide band Lambda sensor that means accurate full throttle mapping for when you do ga little mad with it!

Kind regards

Ben

[This message has been edited by Scooby Mania (edited 13-02-2000).]
Old 13 February 2000, 08:33 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

No Problem with any of the parts. But would like to sell all the items as a compleat package.

Bob
Old 13 February 2000, 08:50 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

As Subaru uk has a poor name with our import friends. I will now offer the car for sale with or without the extras.
I have been offered £18500 by a dealer so will throw the car to the list for the same price.
Bob Iles
Redish Blue
MY98
PE Phase 1
De-cated
T75 Downpipe
Centre Section
Scoobysports Backbox
16" Speedline Wheels (Gold)
Group N Disks
Goodridge Hoses
Front & Rear Spoilers
Colour Coded
PIAA Driving Lights
Quad Lights
Clifford 50X
Center Pod With 3 Gauges
SPA Digital Boost & Inlet Temp Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge
Volt Gauge
Kenwood CD Unit (stealth type)

Bob Iles
Old 13 February 2000, 10:39 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Stu,

Dodgy PCB ?

I spoke to someone at PE at the begining of Feb about getting a Phase1 done on my workmate's Scooby (he is a tuning virgin, but is learning, you here yet Pete?).

I was told they had been withdrawn until the end of Feb. and will be 'relaunched' in March. I asked why and was told that it was related to 'cold start' problems and also some 'politics'. Having finally got around to reading back-posts, I think I understand why :-(

Ben, you say you use a wide range lambda sensor. Is this particular part of the kit available standalone and with some sort of monitor? All the lambda sensor/gauges etc. I have seen are narrow range. Or they are wide range but massively expensive. I am especially interested in lambda readings coming onto boost at WOT. This is on a GT4 though not a scooby (sorry).

Cheers

Ian Watkins (GT4)

Old 13 February 2000, 11:13 PM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham with 620BHP & 530lb/ft @1.5bar boost on road fuel.
Hi Ian

No, the wide band Lambda is not part of the kit. At £2,500 it would make the package a tad expensive! The cars use narrow band which cannot read full throttle as you say.

If you would like to bring the car to us we could have a look for you and show you your readings.

Give me a call on 0118 981 0832

Kind regards

Ben
Old 14 February 2000, 08:51 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

This will be interesting

Can the normal sensor "read" full throttle ?

In the blue corner, Bob/Mark..
Old 14 February 2000, 09:34 AM
Kennington_Rick
Scooby Regular

This is all very interesting. As I type, my Sti4 is round at PE's having an ECU remap. I expect to get it back today or tomorrow.

When I was there on Friday everything seemed to be going according to plan - no mention of dodgy PCB's or cold start problems.

So what *is* going on ?!
Old 14 February 2000, 11:46 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lee,

as I am sure that you know - ScoobyMania utilise a wideband Motec Lambda sensor. So the ability to read on full throttle is dependent on the capability of the Motec, try visiting their website.

Rannoch
Old 14 February 2000, 01:04 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stu,

I am one of the select few who have had both systems on my car, and I can offer the following info:

1) The Phase 1 is no more "dangerous" then the Possum Link, *IF* you invest a few quid in a Knock Link. That way, any problems will be easily apparent before damage occurs. No-one in their right mind would fit a Possum without a knock link, so why take the risk with a Phase 1 board?

2) Performance-wise, there isn't much difference. It all depends upon mapping, of course, but in my case the car perhaps feels marginally faster with the Possum. It's such a small difference that it could easily be psychological.

3) If you want a fit-and-forget solution, the Phase 1 has a lot to recommend it, and is cheaper if you can find someone (like me, for example) to buy a used board from.

BTW, I switched to Possum because the 17mpg average consumption I was getting on my commute run was doing my head in! It remains to be seen whether I can get the Possum to do any better...

Best regards,

-= mike =-
Old 14 February 2000, 02:41 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mike,

do you commute to work via Donington

David
Old 14 February 2000, 03:13 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Mike, I was told by PE that I would see much better mpg results from the remap. Even without it, I get approx 23 mpg.

Bob, Im interested in the Scooby sport back box if yer still selling it

I think id prefer to go for a new board so if there are any faults, I have some comeback.

Cheers for all the feed back guys
Old 14 February 2000, 05:48 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Ben,

Thanks for that, I may make a trip up there. I was especially interested in a possible wide band sensor fitted to the car on a normal basis rather then during rolling road tuning only.

The mention of 4 figure sum kind of put me off a bit :-)

Cheers

Ian Watkins (GT4)
Old 14 February 2000, 06:03 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Stu + Rannoch,

Regarding fuel consumption, my car has always been bad. This 17mpg figure is for gentle driving, hardly ever using boost or going over 4000rpm. It seems there is a lot of variation between "identical" cars in this regard - other people get mid-twenties out of their STis for this kind of driving. I have not been able to discover why these differences exist. Speculating, maybe it is to do with the fuel pressure regulator, or manufacturing tolerances of injectors.

It is true that PE will give an improvement in fuel consumption when driving moderately - I certainly noticed this on cross-country trips, where I would get a couple of mpg better economy. However, because he remaps the stock ECU, David is stuck with the basic fuelling decisions made by the ECU software. If you have a quick search I have posted a full description previously, but basically it is not possible for him to control fuelling on vacuum (where I spend most of my time on the commuting runs around town). Hence the switch to the Possum Link, which does allow this.

DP has been very helpful throughout the whole process, and has promised that if I do sell my upgraded ECU to anyone else, he will provide the same level of after-sales care as for a new unit.

-= mike =-
Old 14 February 2000, 07:36 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mike,

interesting Fuel Figures you have - I drive an Sti V with HKS Induction and Exhuast - even hooning it around I rarely get below 20 - although I suspect that Donington will get it into very low teens.

On average I get around 23-25 mpg and have had it as high as 28mpg on a mixture of motorway and cross-country.

With 17mpg average the cost of SUL and Pro Boost would be a killer!

Looking forward to Possum,

Rannoch

PS Love your posts elsewhere, very useful
Old 15 February 2000, 12:17 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Yeah, case in point. I used to get figures like that, but the figures plummetted after I'd had the car for three months or so. The change roughly coincides with the time that I did the HPC driver training course, so it's hard to tell whether it's to do with my driving style or the fuelling system. I have tried driving in my old style, which I now find surpisingly difficult, but I still can't get better than 20-ish at a push (mixed urban use).

Initial indications with the Possum seem positive, but I'm still tweaking up the bottom end (ooerr) in order to get the most out of it.

Finally, cheers for the kind comment!

Best regards,

-= mike =-
Old 15 February 2000, 06:52 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi David,

On a separate topic, if you haven't checked your Hotmail account, now would be a good time to do so!

TTFN

-= mike =-